Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

Registered
That time of year again - just had my "Vehicle tax reminder" - their words, not mine - <sigh> 馃槀
I've posted this before - but it is possible to set up a direct debit to pay your 拢0.00 and they'll email you when they collect it - No, you really can!!!

John.

Registered
Kia Soul 30Kwh, 2018
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've posted this before - but it is possible to set up a direct debit to pay your 拢0.00 and they'll email you when they collect it - No, you really can!!!

John.

Just tried this as it appeals to me for some reason ;)... I did it on-line expecting a request for some kind of payment at which point I'd set up the DD details.... unfortunately the system just said "yep, done, bye" - very efficient and somewhat disappointing, but hey! - it was free so not complaining .

Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
My historic classic car has been zero tax for years. It always amused me back then because the paperwork was identical to all other cars and they asked if I wanted a 6 months free tax or a 12 months free one. Let me think about that for a nanosecond.

Registered
MG5 and Chevy Volt
I remember going to get the first tax disc (remember those?) for my 2011 Leaf. The clerk at the post office desk was really confused when the cost was zero. She even went to confirm with her manager that it was correct!

Registered
I remember going to get the first tax disc (remember those?) for my 2011 Leaf. The clerk at the post office desk was really confused when the cost was zero. She even went to confirm with her manager that it was correct!

Once mentioned to the lady in our village shop/post office whether she still got paid for handling zero rated VED discs. I was concerned that, as a self-employed sub-postmistress she might be losing out by having to process a zero rate application. Apparently she got paid by DVLA exactly the same amount for handling a zero rate one as every other one, so the government were actually paying out to give me a zero rate disc. Seemed absolutely crazy.

Registered
Kia Soul 30Kwh, 2018
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My Skoda Fabia was 拢0 that felt good too
My mitsubishi colt with stop/start was too, about 8 years ago.
However, my 15yr old Merc ml500 (5l V8 SUV) that I bought as my last ice to help convince my wife and myself that going EV was worth it financially was 拢520!!(also mostly sub 20mpg petrol, 拢95 fill, anything between 2-5 fills per month!! ) - it worked 馃槀馃槀 - we can convince ourselves the EV is paying for itself 馃憤

Registered

John.

Sounded good - so I renewed early, was warned multiple times that I already had 'paid', checked my MOT and gave me a new renewal date - but no option for direct debit?

Registered
It's a farce, I really don't know why they can't just leave zero tax cars to go along without any form of reminder/renewal and then only get in touch with owners once they attract a positive rate.
Poor old guy here just found out he hasn't 'taxed' his zero tax car for three years and is now stressed he'll get a fine (which he will).
He cannot get his head around having to tax nothing, and he's right.

Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
It's a farce, I really don't know why they can't just leave zero tax cars to go along without any form of reminder/renewal and then only get in touch with owners once they attract a positive rate.
Poor old guy here just found out he hasn't 'taxed' his zero tax car for three years and is now stressed he'll get a fine (which he will).
It's probably to confirm the vehicle is actually on the road, as opposed to being SORN'd, scrapped, written off etc, and it confirms who owns it.

Registered
Kia Soul 30Kwh, 2018
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No chance of pleading ignorance/insanity/new tech/stupid govt. rules I suppose? Get a good lawyer 馃憤

Registered
Kia Soul 30Kwh, 2018
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've 'renewed' the day I got the reminder to maximise the amount of time before the next one's due and get maximum value for no money 馃榿馃憣

Registered
Vauxhall Mokka e Launch Edition May 2021 (nee Ampera Electron May 2012)
Cost me 拢40 fine for not paying 拢0, no reminder received and had always 'paid' since 2012. Calendar entry reminder as part of service and mot. Adamant I had gone on line but of course the computer never lies. Started to appeal but lost interest, pretty sure I ran up at least 拢40 admin costs just to play the game.

Registered
Yeah we got fined for our zero tax car once too, no reminder received.
I thought our fine was 拢60, but may be remembering wrong.

Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
Just tried to tax zero cost as the end of September reminder just appeared. Wouldn't let me do it on-line as the first MOT is also due at month-end and despite the car not needing an MOT at the date of application.

Registered
Kia E Niro 4
I tried to zero tax mine when it came up for it's first service as I had read that you still need to do this, it came back stating that it wasn't required until February, which coincides when I bought the car, I forgot that tax doesn't get transferred, but it does seem ridiculous that you have to renew a zero tax car, certainly when it doesn't need a MOT.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts