Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been laid up with flu for 6 days now and it looks like it will take a while longer. Consequently the car has been unused and will continue to do so for a few days more.
My question is I have left the car plugged into the Rolec (in case temperature drops below 0c in mornings), is it ok to leave it plugged in and unused for days or weeks.
Thanks
Phil

·
Registered
322 Posts
That's what the manual advises. Personally, I like to leave any of my battery powered products about half charged if not using for a while.

·
Super Moderator
6,399 Posts
I have been laid up with flu for 6 days now and it looks like it will take a while longer. Consequently the car has been unused and will continue to do so for a few days more.
My question is I have left the car plugged into the Rolec (in case temperature drops below 0c in mornings), is it ok to leave it plugged in and unused for days or weeks.
Thanks
Phil
The manual is very clear on the matter, if its not being driven it should be charging. I have left mine the 2 weeks on holiday every year since I have owned it and it is always left plugged in.

·
Registered
334 Posts
It is what I would do, leave it plugged in. I believe it warms the traction battery if it cools too much and periodically (every 6 hours?) tops up the 12v battery. In cold weather my Rolec clunks on and off now and then as it draws a bit of power.

Hope your flu is gone soon, is it this nasty strain we have been warned about? We all had a horrid bout of flu here last May, the only silver lining to it being the food bill was £100 less that month as we ate so little for a week or so!

Steve

Reactions: Freebird

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
Mine's been parked wothout charging at a hotel while I've been abroad a week. No problems whatsoever when returned.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Whats your thinking leaving it plugged in in case temps get to below 0 deg C?
The Ampera, as we know, has active battery management which works when plugged in to warm the battery in cold weather. A cold battery performs poorly as the chemistry 'slows'. Cold doesn't necessarily kill a lithium battery, unlike excessive heat which will shorten a battery's life. My understanding is that the Ampera keeps the battery warm so that it gives you decent range when you get in and drive the car on very cold days. If you are not driving it then this will not be of benefit. That been said, as the Ampera battery is a good way off been genuinely full when it is full so to speak then leaving the car 'full' and plugged in would not be as big a detriment as say a LEAF which uses almost all of it's capacity when fully charged, (again, a fully charged lithium battery left standing degrades quicker). I have religiously left our LEAF at around 50% charge when not using it for a while. However, I've not been too worried about our Ampera for the reasons stated above. I left it plugged in for four days last week, something I'd never do with the LEAF. So IMHO I don't think a week or so plugged in would be an issue for the Ampera every now and then.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to you all for your advice on this, I did think it was best to leave it plugged in but I wasnt sure about long term. I appreciate your comments and advice.
Hope your flu is gone soon, is it this nasty strain we have been warned about? We all had a horrid bout of flu here last May, the only silver lining to it being the food bill was £100 less that month as we ate so little for a week or so!
Yes it seems I have the nasty strain, six days now and symptoms especially chest pain are getting worse. I never like to bother a GP and as my younger brother died (killed I say) in our local hospital due to lack of care and bad nursing I wouldn't go near the place. From what I have heard they are rammed out anyway. I did an online consultation with my GP, that was two days ago and no reply, apparently if I don't hear from him today I have to fill in another b***y online form. I shouldn't be surprised as its happened before. I prefer nature takes its course (thinking about that it might be a mistake and go the other way).
I would advise anyone not to go near someone who may have this flu, its evil, the last time I had flu was in 1990, I kept going to work driving away from home. The flu infected my ear and left me permanently deaf in one ear with tinnitus. I know its hard for some to take time off these days so if they insist you go in or pressure you make sure you give the flu to your boss at least. I have to listen to my Bose sound system in mono!!
Thanks again.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Proper flu is proper bad and can lead to some permenant side effects like you've described, (or worse). People often think they have the flu but in reality it is probably just a bad cold. I thought I'd had it and had been diagnosed with it by 'Doctors' but then I had Swine Flu a while ago. Wow, then I knew what proper flu was. I also had flu about 18 months ago and I couldn't get out of bed for two weeks. Good way of losing weight too. This year I gave it a miss and tried Meningitis instead. They put you up in Hospital for that. Food was crap but there was some good movies on. Get well soon!

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Proper flu is proper bad and can lead to some permenant side effects like you've described, (or worse). People often think they have the flu but in reality it is probably just a bad cold. I thought I'd had it and had been diagnosed with it by 'Doctors' but then I had Swine Flu a while ago. Wow, then I knew what proper flu was. I also had flu about 18 months ago and I couldn't get out of bed for two weeks. Good way of losing weight too. This year I gave it a miss and tried Meningitis instead. They put you up in Hospital for that. Food was crap but there was some good movies on. Get well soon!
Thanks @Interloper I cant get out of the room, Im up now at 3.30 coughing and raw chest, six days now and its getting worse. I look after a 94 year old who only lives a 2 minute drive from here but I cant make it. Fortunately she can use Skype and I made her lots of food before this as I thought snow would be bad so shes ok so far. I was concerned about pneumonia but think thats ok. You have had a rough time though, but survived. Anyway I have gone well off topic, thanks to everyone for all the input re charging. I do miss driving the car though.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hi, hope the flu passes soon...

I would like to also state what @HandyAndy advised, I have been parked at airport carparks for about 3 or 4 times a year in the last 3 years without the car being plugged in, sometimes for three weeks at a time and have never had any problems with the car not being plugged in.. i.e it is always ready to drive home without any issues...

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
30,251 Posts
Thanks to you all for your advice on this, I did think it was best to leave it plugged in but I wasnt sure about long term. I appreciate your comments and advice.

Yes it seems I have the nasty strain, six days now and symptoms especially chest pain are getting worse. I never like to bother a GP and as my younger brother died (killed I say) in our local hospital due to lack of care and bad nursing I wouldn't go near the place. From what I have heard they are rammed out anyway. I did an online consultation with my GP, that was two days ago and no reply, apparently if I don't hear from him today I have to fill in another b***y online form. I shouldn't be surprised as its happened before. I prefer nature takes its course (thinking about that it might be a mistake and go the other way).
I would advise anyone not to go near someone who may have this flu, its evil, the last time I had flu was in 1990, I kept going to work driving away from home. The flu infected my ear and left me permanently deaf in one ear with tinnitus. I know its hard for some to take time off these days so if they insist you go in or pressure you make sure you give the flu to your boss at least. I have to listen to my Bose sound system in mono!!
Thanks again.
I've given you a 'like' in solidarity on all of that, I am with you.

Our family has also been laid up with flu, it wrote off Christmas. As you say, vicious this year. At one point my joints started aching and I couldn't even stand up my knees hurt so much!

Forget about the Ampera. Plugged in or not plugged in, it is engineered to cope. If you are talking 'months' then maybe that is a conversation, really just do anything that suits you, the car is fine whatever you do.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I left mine at heathrow long stay last november and it was just around freezing all week I understand, no issues upon my return. I think I left it with 3kWh remaining

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I would follow the manual advice... leave plugged in if at all possible but if not possible then try to leave it at 40% - 60% SOC.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
On topic: Left mine unplugged when we had the snow start of December. Sat for 2 weeks in total, and a few days under 15cm of snow.

Started on preheat absolutely fine, with the ICE running immediately.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Get the flu jab next season, excellent investment!
I have become rather cynical over the years and its left me against mass medication, there is an argument about 'Big Pharma' money making and GP incentives coming before the patient, but aside from that twice in my life I have been a victim of prescribed medication that caused problems and didn't cure them. The first when I was a teenager cost me 2 years of my life, I dont want to go into detail but I quit the medication and got my life back. The most recent were severe stomach problems and GP repeatedly changing medication. Then I was fortunate in being able to see an old retired Irish doctor doing some locum work. He asked me many questions then told me to stop taking the medication, and bingo the problem went away after many years of suffering. He also fixed a tiredness problem by simply telling me to stop taking caffeine. I dont know if I am just unlucky but a witch doctor may have been more help than my own GP.
Sorry to bang on about this, it doesn't take much to get me started these days and its off-topic.
Incidentally I didn't hear form my GP and clicked the 'on-line form' link which was just a note saying they would get back to me ASAP, still nothing.
Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
On topic: Left mine unplugged when we had the snow start of December. Sat for 2 weeks in total, and a few days under 15cm of snow.

Thanks, its a fantastic car isnt it.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts

Worth pointing out that although you had no issues ( :) )it is not recommended to leave it in that weather unplugged.

It is a great car in spite of its annoying faults... it is still, IMO, the very best PHEV available at the moment.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Worth pointing out that although you had no issues ( :) )it is not recommended to leave it in that weather unplugged.

It is a great car in spite of its annoying faults... it is still, IMO, the very best PHEV available at the moment.
Completely agree on both points. I had to leave it at a facility with no access to a power point.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts