Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any one else experienced a very S-L-O-W resonse from BP Pulse (used to be Chargemaster) with regard to the installation of a home charger?
My own application has got completely lost in a dialogue between their so-called customer support team, and the installers supposed to do the job.
Dispite repeated phone calls, it is proving impossible to get ANY offer of an installation date.
Their whole step-by-step process for applying for a home charger is painful.
They decline to offer any installation date until the application process is fully completed.
They insist on receiving an up-front payment of 100% of the cost, including 100% of the installation that they have yet to even arrange for me.
In other words: "Pay up and we may get around to telling you how long it will take to install" !!
Except that in my case they do not follow up on my repeated phones calls, and I am no closer to getting any offer of an installation date.
The original charger I bought from Chargemaster 2 years ago was installed very quickly. This 2nd home charger (now that Chargemaster became BP Pulse) has been a complete nightmare
Digging a little further, it seems their new chargers require a different electrical installation: as a direct spur from the isolation switch rather than via the fuseboard in my house.
They say this is due to a change in electrical regulations, but my existing charger does not need an upgraded installation ??? Something is wrong with those statements.
They "say" they need to use a 3rd party installer to install the isolation switch (I don't yet have one in my house). BP Pulse have charged me an extra £150 to install an isolation switch, which again had to be paid 100% in advance, without any "promise" of an installation date. It also requires a separate appointment (because the electricity supply company has to be present pull the main fuse and then apply new seals to this once BP Pulse have installed the isolation switch. Frankly I dont care who does the work, and I dont believe 2 appointments are necessary. Two workmen on site - yes.
Legally speaking I am the client of BP Pulse who have undertaken to do this entire installation. THEY and they alone are responsible for the very poor service I am receiving.

SO WHAT ARE YOUR OWN EXPERIENCES:
1. Are all Home Charger installers as bad as BP Pulse?
2. Do all such companies insist on 100% payment in advance for an installation that have singularly failed to book-in, yet alone complete?
3. Is this commercial practice even legal?
4. Is this a regional issue (I live in outer-London)?
5. What are the alternatives? Could I simply mail-order a decent homecharger from somewhere and ask my friend (a certified-electrician) to install this?
All feedback gratefully received, since I am now preparing a case for recompense, or even 100% reimbursement of the fees I have paid to BP Pulse.

In the meantime and based on my own experience, I would strongly advise others NOT to consider BP Pulse.
Their so-called service and lack of any follow-up is simply appalling.

·
Registered
2021 Citroën ë-C4 Shine Plus
161 Posts
I had my current charge point installed in February 2015, and one of the first companies I approached back then was Chargemaster. But even then they were appalling in terms of trying to get anything arranged so I aborted their application process and ended up with another OLEV approved installer and a Rolec charge point, which has served me perfectly ever since.

I have a new EV incoming in a few weeks, and have dealt directly with Pod-Point regarding a new manufacturer funded unit.
I have found their service to be most helpful.

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
Has any one else experienced a very S-L-O-W resonse from BP Pulse (used to be Chargemaster) with regard to the installation of a home charger?
My own application has got completely lost in a dialogue between their so-called customer support team, and the installers supposed to do the job.
Dispite repeated phone calls, it is proving impossible to get ANY offer of an installation date.
They decline to offer any installation date until the application process is fully completed.
They insist on receiving an up-front payment of 100% of the cost, including 100% of the installation that they have yet to even arrange for me.
In other words: "Pay up and we may get around to telling you how long it will take to install" !!
Except that in my case they do not follow up on my repeated phones calls, and I am no closer to getting any offer of an installation date.
The original charger I bought from Chargemaster 2 years ago was installed very quickly. This 2nd home charger (now that Chargemaster became BP Pulse) has been a complete nightmare
Digging a little further, it seems their new chargers require a different electrical installation: as a direct spur from the isolation switch rather than via the fuseboard in my house.
They say this is due to a change in electrical regulations, but my existing charger does not need an upgraded installation ??? Something is wrong with those statements.
They "say" they need to use a 3rd party installer to install the isolation switch (I don't yet have one in my house). BP Pulse have charged me an extra £150 to install an isolation switch, which again had to be paid 100% in advance, without any "promise" of an installation date. It also requires a separate appointment (because the electricity supply company has to be present pull the main fuse and then apply new seals to this once BP Pulse have installed the isolation switch. Frankly I dont care who does the work, and I dont believe 2 appointments are necessary. Two workmen on site - yes.
Legally speaking I am the client of BP Pulse who have undertaken to do this entire installation. THEY and they alone are responsible for the very poor service I am receiving.

2. Do all such companies insist on 100% payment in advance for an installation that have singularly failed to book-in, yet alone complete?
5. What are the alternatives? Could I simply mail-order a decent homecharger from somewhere and ask my friend (a certified-electrician) to install this?
All feedback gratefully received, since I am now preparing a case for recompense, or even 100% reimbursement of the fees I have paid to BP Pulse.

In the meantime and based on my own experience, I would strongly advise others NOT to consider BP Pulse.
did you pay by credit card?
If so, just ask for your money back.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I don't have any experience of BP Pulse but when I ordered my home charger installation from Smart Home Charge, I had to pay 100% of the cost before they arranged an installation date. I was also told that the cost might increase if additional work was needed beyond what was detailed in the original quote. The quote was based on a questionnaire, photos and a video that I sent them. I had a single appointment attended by a single installer who did everything. Smart Home Charge notifited the DNO in advance of all the work that was needed.

·
Registered
32 Posts

Cancel and go elsewhere, why give them the business!

·
Registered
8 Posts

I am in the process of choosing an EV Charger installer (I live in Northumberland). We have an old house with relatively old electrics. In the process of speaking to the people who have made site visits I have decided that I need a couple of pre-requisites done :-
1. An upgrade to the supply / main fuse (currently 63A). I am hoping / expecting that my DNO will do that free of charge.
2. The instalation of an isolation switch by my electricity supplier (Octopus). Again I hope for FOC.

Once these are done I will be onto the EV Charger install itself.

I did contact BP Pulse but when they asked for payment on first contact I dropped them!

·
Registered
621 Posts
I enquired when I received an offer from BP Pulse a few months ago, I never did anything more than read the information, since the. I have been getting emails about each week asking for photos of my electrical cabinet and payment for my installation even though I never went further than an enquiry, no details or forms filled in etc, but the requests keep coming as if I agreed to an installation......I’d never consider going with them, their business model is terrible, almost intimidating and threatening.

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
I enquired when I received an offer from BP Pulse a few months ago, I never did anything more than read the information, since the. I have been getting emails about each week asking for photos of my electrical cabinet and payment for my installation even though I never went further than an enquiry, no details or forms filled in etc, but the requests keep coming as if I agreed to an installation......I’d never consider going with them, their business model is terrible, almost intimidating and threatening.
What do you expect from British PETROLEUM.

·
Registered
448 Posts

I had no problems with them, they were keener to install the charger than Octopus were to install the isolation switch. This was through Renault though, not as a private customer.

tbh if I had had to choose a supplier myself they would not have been at the top of the list! However I can't fault their installation and the charger has been rock solid, so I can't complain about them either.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I've no experience of BP Pulse but "give us 100% payment up front before we even talk about starting work" is no better than the worst kind of rogue trader.

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
It is true that few installers even try to wire charging points to the consumer unit (CU) these days. The requirement to have a dual pole RCBO (on direct side of supply) makes it unlikely that it would fit in most and they don't want the risk that an unrelated fault occurs afterwards. The common practice now is to split supply after meter and have a dedicated CU for EVs.

We too had a Chargemaster unit wired to our existing CU back in 2014, but several nuisance trips and the plan for a second one precipitated me paying our spark to split the supply and move it to a separate CU in 2017. Chargemaster then happily wired the second into the new, dedicated EV CU.

Our first Chargemaster was Type 1 and I sold it back in 2018 after Ampera went, but we still have second one and it is very reliable.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had my current charge point installed in February 2015, and one of the first companies I approached back then was Chargemaster. But even then they were appalling in terms of trying to get anything arranged so I aborted their application process and ended up with another OLEV approved installer and a Rolec charge point, which has served me perfectly ever since.

I have a new EV incoming in a few weeks, and have dealt directly with Pod-Point regarding a new manufacturer funded unit.
I have found their service to be most helpful.
Thanks a lot for this.
Could you also please share how long you had to wait for the installation once you had completed their application process, and which part of the country you live in?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It is true that few installers even try to wire charging points to the consumer unit (CU) these days. The requirement to have a dual pole RCBO (on direct side of supply) makes it unlikely that it would fit in most and they don't want the risk that an unrelated fault occurs afterwards. The common practice now is to split supply after meter and have a dedicated CU for EVs.

We too had a Chargemaster unit wired to our existing CU back in 2014, but several nuisance trips and the plan for a second one precipitated me paying our spark to split the supply and move it to a separate CU in 2017. Chargemaster then happily wired the second into the new, dedicated EV CU.

Our first Chargemaster was Type 1 and I sold it back in 2018 after Ampera went, but we still have second one and it is very reliable.
Many thnaks. Thts very useful.
My existing charge point is also a Type 1-tethered, and I still use it for the PHEV. However I had never even dreamed it would have a worthwhile resale value !!
May I just ask, how long did you have to wait to get the second charge point installed , once you had completed your application, and in part of the country was this?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I had no problems with them, they were keener to install the charger than Octopus were to install the isolation switch. This was through Renault though, not as a private customer.

tbh if I had had to choose a supplier myself they would not have been at the top of the list! However I can't fault their installation and the charger has been rock solid, so I can't complain about them either.
Thanks. I had heard it said than many people have experienced long delays in getting an electricity company to support any work on the supply side, which is why BP Pulse say they now arrange & undertake this as part of the package. However, this surely means that they must also accept full responsibility any delays to THEIR client, as in my present situation.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I fully understand how you feel. Yet in my case I am myself (still) the person trying to increase the pace towards installation, so I did not experience the kind of pressure your describe. Maybe they will try to become more intimidating if and when I should decide to cancel ?? :rolleyes:

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,906 Posts

This is REALLY NOT A VERY BAD EXPERIENCE.

Note how I trumped your capitals with some added bold and italics.

I am not sure what "Planet Comfort" you come from that's so perfect this is one of your very bad experiences in life, but hey ho.

Cutting to the chase, you've lost zero money because you just ask for it back. The time spent so far in telephone calls has been usefully spent in informing you that this is a shit company that one should not do business with and you were lucky not to have wasted any more time on them.

Now .... what, exactly, is the question? ......

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
This is REALLY NOT A VERY BAD EXPERIENCE.

Note how I trumped your capitals with some added bold and italics.

I am not sure what "Planet Comfort" you come from that's so perfect this is one of your very bad experiences in life, but hey ho.

Cutting to the chase, you've lost zero money because you just ask for it back. The time spent so far in telephone calls has been usefully spent in informing you that this is a shit company that one should not do business with and you were lucky not to have wasted any more time on them.

Now .... what, exactly, is the question? ......
Donald has nailed it. Ask for your money back pronto.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Thanks a lot for this.
Could you also please share how long you had to wait for the installation once you had completed their application process, and which part of the country you live in?
Sure, although installation times back in the day would not be relevant in today’s market I would suspect, as this was back in 2015. I cannot even recall the name of the installer but they did only take two weeks or so before they came to do the job. This was in February and the car wasn’t even arriving until late March.
Also back then the installation was fully funded by the OLEV grant up to a value of £1000, so I didn’t have to pay anything for the install whatsoever.

I do recall submitting photographs to Chargemaster but as in your case they were just useless in getting back to you or responding unless you chased them. Even at that point you couldn’t get any meaningful answers from them. They were also insisting on some aspects of the install that the independent installer I eventually used didn’t, I just wish I could remember exactly what that was!

I am in the West Midlands.

You refer to this as your second charge point. Do I take it that this means there will be two charge points on your property? or are you simply replacing one?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You refer to this as your second charge point. Do I take it that this means there will be two charge points on your property? or are you simply replacing one?
2 charge points for 2 EVs, (one type 1, one type 2 connector) both tethered, both supported by OLEV grants. ...o_O

·
Registered
161 Posts
2 charge points for 2 EVs, (one type 1, one type 2 connector) both tethered, both supported by OLEV grants. ...o_O
I would seriously give Pod-Point a call and see what they can do for you.
Any monies paid to BP can be refunded in full under the distance selling regulations as long as they haven’t supplied you anything already.

Pod-Point charger is smart, connecting to your Wi-Fi and will give you stats and suchlike as to what you’re spending on charging.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts