Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While driving through a very congested narrow small town centre yesterday, I received a VERY brief warning message on the centre dash panel.
You know the situation, cars alternatively parked on both sides of a busy narrow small town, being used by everybody and his dog !.
As I passed by a poorly parked car, I received a warning bong and then what looked like the image of a road wheel in the dash panel.
It was there for about two seconds, then it quickly disappeared !.
As I was concentrating on driving through this very tight space, I could not see if the image had any written message to accompany the image of what looked like a road wheel ?.
One second it was there and then it’s was gone.
My first though was, It’s a image of a wheel, do we have a puncture ?.
Only guessing because of the image of what looked like a road wheel.
When it was safe to pull over, I walked around the car, maybe expecting to find a “flattish“ tyre ?.
But nothing massively obvious.
Returned to the car and scrolled through the cars settings to find the TPMS readings.
All readings reporting the same figures on each wheel ?.
We continued on our journey at a steady cautious pace, just in case.
Nothing, no return of the warning message for the rest of the day.
On my previous car, it did on a couple of occasions, give out a couple of false alarms on the TPMS system.
Has anybody else witnessed this type of experience on their cars can I ask ?.
Thanks.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yes, several times. Warnings that disappear so quickly that I can't take in what they are about. And they leave no trace in the warnings log. An orange wheel appeared once as one wheel went into a pothole. I assumed it from the stability system.

Yesterday it was a red image of a car, I think.

They tend to occur when there's something untoward happening. Yesterday's was as a car hurtled up behind me, then shot past. I wondered if it was some sort of collision warning. Unfortunately the manual doesn't list them.

I find them annoying at best and dangerous at worst, because they are distracting at a time of already increased workload.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yes, several times. Warnings that disappear so quickly that I can't take in what they are about. And they leave no trace in the warnings log. An orange wheel appeared once as one wheel went into a pothole. I assumed it was from the stability system.

Yesterday it was a red image of a car, I think.

They tend to occur when there's something untoward happening. Yesterday's was as a car hurtled up behind me, then shot past. I wondered if it was some sort of collision warning. Unfortunately the manual doesn't list them.

I find them annoying at best and dangerous at worst, because they are distracting at a time of already increased workload.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Occasionally my car seems to be preparing for a collision because the car loses power and there's a buzz as if the ABS kicks in yet I haven't started braking. I think something flashes up on the dash but too quick to see and I'm busy watching the road.
This seems to happen if I approach a cyclist quickly, or if a car is turning left and I get close to it as I pass.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have seen the pedestrian alert flash up accompanied by three short beeps. Often this can be set off by a pedestrian, dog or cyclist if they suddenly converge with the car or change direction suddenly, even if they are on the pavement, usually a narrow pavement and close to the traffic. I assume if they move any further towards the car the buzz occurs then the emergency brakes are applied. The brakes applied quickly and smoothly once when a pedestrian popped out in front of the car while staring at her mobile phone. It works!

Likewise I get the warning and buzz if a car moves on or off the slip road on the motorway and is too close. Three beeps and sometimes ABS arming (or a vibration warning only?). Never had the brakes apply in this situation as I have collision detection set to alarm only. Also occurs when a car in front slows down quickly and a collision would occur if you did not apply the brakes.

Also had two tyre pressure warnings when tyre pressures showed as normal all round. Loss of signal perhaps?

·
Zoe Devotee
9,182 Posts
I was reversing out my drive the other day, and a neighbours kid came wizzing down the lane on his bike. It flashed up on the reverse camera and i'm certain it tracked them in a red box while giving out a beep. Pretty cool warning I'd say.

Reactions: Paul M and Carty

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
I was reversing out my drive the other day, and a neighbours kid came wizzing down the lane on his bike. It flashed up on the reverse camera and i'm certain it tracked them in a red box while giving out a beep. Pretty cool warning I'd say.
Rear cross traffic alert working well.

Reactions: Carty and Sandy

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bit of an update on my previous post.
Went out today on a round trip of about 70 miles ish.
Before setting out, I did visual check if all tyres where still fully inflated.
All look fine, jumped in and booted up the car.
Flicked though the options on central screen ( which I never do ) and found the TPMS screen.
N/S/F & N/S/R tyres displaying 2.5 Bar of pressure.
O/S/F & O/S/R tyres displaying 2.4 bar of pressure.
The N/S of the car was in direct strong sun light, O/S was in the shade.
Fairly sure these where the values I seen ?.
I remember there was a very small difference between each side of the car anyway.
More concerned if there was a big discrepancy on only one tyre after receiving the warning the other day.
Apparently not, according to the TPMS, so off we go !.
About three times on the outward bound trip, I checked the TPMS for readings.
The readings appeared to fluctuate slightly each time I checked them.
Should these be checked when the car is still moving ?.
Not much good otherwise I guess.
I found that when checking, one wheel would recorded 2.4 then when checking a little latter, the lower value had moved to another tyre around the car.
I carried out the same process on the return trip, and found the same thing happening.
The last time I checked just before we arrived home and all four tyres where displaying the same value ( 2.5 bar I think ).
Not sure what happened the other day then ?.
A bit of a "Phantom / Sudo" warning maybe ?.
The software definitely has "Bug's" living in the system that's for sure !.
Put the car a situation that is not 100% comfortable with and it will randomly generate / produce a warning message to the driver.
They appear and disappear that fast, they are impossible to record !.
It's as if the car thinks about the situation, unsure if it likes it, then decides to put out a warning, but then decides to retract that decision JUST slightly to late in avoiding the warning message.
This would account for the short time it is displayed and why it does not show on the log file ?.
The rear cross traffic alert on the other hand, picks up movement across the back of the car very well I have found.
Really handy when trying to back out of a parking space with limited visibility.

·
Registered
215 Posts
You said when the alert went off you were driving in a narrow street with cases either side. It may have been as a result of interference from another cars system that blocked the tpms signal from one of your wheels

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You said when the alert went off you were driving in a narrow street with cases either side. It may have been as a result of interference from another cars system that blocked the tpms signal from one of your wheels
Yeah - Thanks !.
Possible I guess ?.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,182 Posts
Unlike some cars the ZS will actively tell you the pressure of the tyres. Most systems don't, they just know whats "nomal" i.e. what they were set at, and if that drops they report a tyre issue. So seeing the pressure changing on tyres is totally normal on the ZS.

Reactions: Carty

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Unlike some cars the ZS will actively tell you the pressure of the tyres. Most systems don't, they just know whats "nomal" i.e. what they were set at, and if that drops they report a tyre issue. So seeing the pressure changing on tyres is totally normal on the ZS.
Cheers @Sandy.
Did a hundred mile around trip today, checked the TPMS reading a few times on route.
Yeah - The reported figures on each wheel where moving around a bit, just like the day before.
Hovering around the 2.7 bar mark today.
No repeat of the strange brief warning I received on Saturday ?.
Must have been a glitch in the system I suspect.
I will monitor and report back if I receive any further alerts.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,232 Posts
The reported figures on each wheel where moving around a bit, just like the day before.
Hovering around the 2.7 bar mark today.
Tyres warm up in use and the pressure will increase. Then the outside temperature drops or you drive slower and the tyres cool down and have less pressure. They will fluctuate on a journey.

That why you should always test tyre pressure on cold tyres.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tyres warm up in use and the pressure will increase. Then the outside temperature drops or you drive slower and the tyres cool down and have less pressure. They will fluctuate on a journey.

That why you should always test tyre pressure on cold tyres.
Thanks !.
Regular checking of the pressures via the TPMS system is not something I have ever done on any of my cars to be totally honest.
But my attention to check it a few times was only brought about by getting the odd and extremely brief symbol flash up on the dash panel a few days ago.
I think if had been just a visual message, I probably would have missed it, it was that quick !.
I caught it only because it was accompanied by the over loud and usual “Bong’s” you get from the car !.
I will welcome the comfort pack update, when the car goes in for its first service.
My wife absolutely HATES the “Triple Pap” of the horn when she is getting out of the car.
It makes her almost jump out of her skin.
She blamed me the first couple of times it when off, she thought it was me fooling around !.
Back on topic, I have not received any more odd warnings YET.
I am now thinking it was just another false software “Brain Fart” reported by the car.
My previous car did report about two false warnings over the four years I owned the car.
But in all fairness, it report two correct warnings when I had a large wood screw in the tread of the tyre.
The tyre was loosing about 4lbs if pressure over about a four week period due too the very small leak, but it did pick it up correctly at the time !.
It was different system on that car, the TPMS system worked by using the speed sensors on each wheel and then constantly reported back its findings to the management system of the car.
If it detected any speed variation due to a under inflated tyre ( puncture ) then it would set off the TPMS warning on the dash panel.
It would also identify which wheel / tyre was affected.
Accurate to about a 3 - 4 lbs difference in pressure, before it triggered the warning.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,232 Posts
I am now thinking it was just another false software “Brain Fart” reported by the car.
Pre-comfort MG has quite a few. It does settle down a bit after. One of the warnings I don't like is the collision imminent warning. It goes off if you get to close to a car turning left/right. Although you are as close as you would be during normal driving and not hit one yet. It also goes beserk if you pass a parked car in a layby on a bend. Infuriating! Actually quite dangerous and annoying to those behind you as it slams on the brakes.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Actually quite dangerous and annoying to those behind you as it slams on the brakes.
Yeah, we have been subject to this a few months ago.
A "White Van Man" approached a blind T junction on the main road through a small country village and slammed on his brakes at the last minute.
There was a brief millie second, then our car slammed on out brakes REALLY hard.
Then in what felt like another millie second, the car released the brakes again.
How the chap following behind never rear ended our car, I have no idea !.
10 / 10 for not travelling to close.
At first, my wife though it was me who slammed on the brakes.
"What the hell are you doing".
I had a really hard time trying to explain that it was indeed the car that made the call to apply the brakes and not myself.
We where only travelling at about 28 Mph, but the feeling of not being in control for a brief second was a little frightening.
I am still 100% convinced I could have beaten the auto system to the foot brake should I needed to do so.
The risk of a possible incident had passed, right at the point where the car made the call to hit the brakes.
A little encouraging to know that my reaction times are still faster than the modern day auto systems, even at my old age !.
The very system that is installed to prevent an accident, actually could have caused this one.
Now in an attempt to avoid a repeat of this type of incident happening, I tend to leave a bigger gap between cars that are turning in front of us.
Rushing up on a car in front and almost clipping the corner of the car as it makes it's turn, could instigate another emergency braking incident.
Yeah, I can live with the amber warning on the dash, but the car heavily slamming on the brakes with out warning, is a little disconcerting to say the least.
Not something your passengers will thank you for.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
it's nice that MG fitted an active TPMS system which measures pressure. On a very hot day going to/from the coast I noticed the side in the sun had higher pressures.

people have reported problems with the Hyundai/Kia cars, which rely on measuring the difference between rotation speed, because if they have to replace one tyre (e.g. due to a puncture) the different in wear means a different in diameter which can trigger a TPMS fault alert, and then they end up having to replace the other perfectly good tyre just to prevent that!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts