Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all was haveing a great day out in the sun yesterday 12th june untill on my way home had what can say was a bang from under the car,
seemed odd but nothing else so carryed on then started too get a judder and grinding noise pulled over found nothing so carryed on it got more jerky more noise with every time had to stop was resisting stopping with a loud grinding noise and very violent jerking hard too pull away,
manged too get home hard too stop with it grinding and jerking
only way i can decsibe,,, it is like trying too stop a manual car and not useing the clutch not good
turned off and then on no go no green car up and warning saying electric fault contact dealer,wont go into gear
contacted breakdown very fast too come out but nothing came up on there machine so a test drive with fitter it was even worse,banging and jerking like crazy,
now being collected and takern away,
unsure whats wround dont sound good has any others heard off this before,very upsetting
as its a 21 plate ioniq full electric 38kw preium se with just over 1000 miles done
been great up too yet,
now awaiting a loan car being deliveryed tomorrow,
any idears guys,thanks for reading my long post.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
Sounds like a tooth has fallen off the single-speed reduction gearbox, or a main bearing has broken up somewhere, maybe in the motor itself & the rotor's now grinding away against the stator. Could just possibly be a CV joint broken up internally, or perhaps a wheel bearing or differential.
Not a lot else in there tbh!

·
Registered
2020 Ioniq 38 2016 Leaf 30 gone
157 Posts
That doesn’t sound good for a very low mileage car, hopefully they’ll sort it quickly for you.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
Lots of Ioniq info in ioniqforum.com but I haven't seen this particular problem mentioned in there, on the 38 or 28. I think it's a very rare thing, and it wouldn't put me off in the slightest. I've had a driveshaft just fall off my pretty-new Golf GTi some years ago! Someone forgot to tighten up a critical nut or 2. Also had our Peugeot 107 stop with a bang at 30k miles, when the clutch release stuff just broke up. But that was a design fault, fixed by upgrading to clutch from Yaris instead of the original flimsier Daihatsu item. So any car can have this. Rolls Royce once had a driveshaft snap, and RR flew a new one + technician somewhere to fix it. "RR driveshafts don't break, sir!" or similar message from the techhy!

·
Zoe Devotee
9,284 Posts
Remember EVs have less to go wrong on them, single reduction gear and all that jazz. But a single reduction gear is still components and can still have failures. Hopefully it can be resolved quickly for you and hopefully not stopping as soon as happened hasn't caused more damage. 🤞

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi
thanks for the replys sorry late getting back on the update is i have a loan car still which was sorted by the aa as part off hyundais breakdown service,
now too the car according too the garage its the main electric control unit that failed they had too order the parts which they now have and it will be fitted next tuesday its a long job so they say and at a cost off wait for it £8500,
lucky its under warrentry so will wait and see if thats what it was,

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi
just a further update got my car back today all fixed or seems ok at the moment garage said it was the eecu electronic control unit that sits at the top under the bonnet,controls everything,
so all good but the shocker was the final costing,the part alone was £15900 and total bill including new coolent was over £18000 i couldnt believe it its half the cost off the car,just lucky it was all covered under warrentry,
they said its the only one they have ever seen with that problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wow, that would hurt if you had to fork it out. Appreciate you have been unfortunate and its probably a rare occurrence but still a sobbing thought (and I'm not knocking anyone) for anyone who thinks that there's not much to go wrong with an EV.

On the subject of warranty, does anyone know where the Hyundai document is that details how long each element of the car is covered for?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts