Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at Autotrader this morning because a friend of a friend had asked my advice on Amperas, and said that Eden Basingstoke have a 2012 one for £10995 at present. I looked at Autotrader and the only one that cheap I can find is at Eden Exeter. But question is why it's so cheap? Only about 15000 miles - that's massively cheaper than other 2012 second user Amperas - so wondering what the reason is...

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
I was once selling a nice, relatively rare car on AutoTrader for £16k. Someone emailed me a load of questions and asked for pics as they were a distance away..... but then started asking for info they didn't need eg vin number so I refused to speak further until they viewed it. A day later it appeared on AutoTrader for £10k! I reported it to Auto Trader and they removed it. They did say that this sort of thing happens and they monitor it and remove the ads themselves.

If it seems too good to be true....

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Autotrader advert Click here
It's on their franchised dealer site at £18,490. Click here
I would give them a call and get more info.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Looks like they have corrected it on auto trader.

Picked mine up last weekend for £17k from a vauxhall dealer, 2012, only 8,000 miles. Still trying to figure out what is wrong with it.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I can see the one at Eden Exeter has been corrected to a more expected price now. I can find the one this guy mentioned at Eden Basingstoke at £10995, in fact the Basingstoke Eden franchise doesn't seem to be a Vauxhall one these days - Mazda and Fiat. Think I will ask him mor about it. It's just too cheap.

·
Eagle Eye
43 Posts
Yes if you look at Autotrader you will see several 2012 Models between £17K & £19K 12,000 miles - 29,000 miles which gives you some idea of the depreciation. I am planning to buy a secondhand Ampera next year and I should imagine the price will have come down to around £15K. It really doesn't make sense to buy a new one unless price is not an issue. I realise that you get 100,000 miles warranty with a new one,but Vauxhall will not roll that warranty over to the second owner, and besides who keeps a car long enough to do 100,000 miles nowadays ?
However the remainder of the 8 year Battery Warranty is definitely carried over to the next owner. I took a test drive last week and that decided me totally - Buying secondhand you might as well go for the Electron as there is hardly any difference in used model prices and besides most used Amperas are Electrons (I only saw one Proton advertised) The only issues I have with the Car is the View through the back window takes a bit of getting used to with the spoiler blocking the window half way up, and the other annoying way you have to approach speed bumps at 1-2mph to prevent the front end of the car hitting the road which seems to be only a few inches of ground clearance. I did look at the Chevrolet Volt which has a more sporty look about it and is an Ampera in disguise, but when I heard that Chevrolet was pulling out of the UK next year it got me a little worried about honouring the warranty and after sales service.
Any comments from other members of the forum about my post would be welcomed.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The only issues I have with the Car is the View through the back window takes a bit of getting used to with the spoiler blocking the window half way up, and the other annoying way you have to approach speed bumps at 1-2mph to prevent the front end of the car hitting the road which seems to be only a few inches of ground clearance.
You do know that you don't have to worry about hitting the rubber front skirt on speed bumps, drive entrances, etc, as it's designed to rub and deform and spring back? :) It's one of the things that concerns new and potential Ampera owners but which you soon realise isn't a problem but a 'feature'!

·
Super Moderator
6,360 Posts
You do know that you don't have to worry about hitting the rubber front skirt on speed bumps, drive entrances, etc, as it's designed to rub and deform and spring back? :) It's one of the things that concerns new and potential Ampera owners but which you soon realise isn't a problem but a 'feature'!

I think of it as a padestrian warning device:).
Once you get used to it the noise is not a problem and then watching peoples reactions is really funny.

·
Eagle Eye
43 Posts
Thanks for that valued information. I will bear that in mind as another issue sorted. I read an article about Electric cars and the potential health dangers of EMF (Electro Magnetic Force) when exposed to an electric motor for any length of time. Has anyone heard of this? I have a feeling it's as non-dangerous as the radiation from mobile phones, but if anyone has any comments.....................

·
Registered
313 Posts
Thanks for that valued information. I will bear that in mind as another issue sorted. I read an article about Electric cars and the potential health dangers of EMF (Electro Magnetic Force) when exposed to an electric motor for any length of time. Has anyone heard of this? I have a feeling it's as non-dangerous as the radiation from mobile phones, but if anyone has any comments.....................
I read such a review and all the EVs tested were well inside legal limits even at foot level. Remember that you are generally shielded from any electro-magnetic field by the vehicle structure.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
For £11k I would buy a second one for my wife !
I managed to do a blinding deal on mine, 2014, with 11000miles on the clock, £17250 :) far better than I expected !

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
But didn't you buy it from your company?

·
Banned
1,370 Posts
Uh-uh. Did you read about the huge government cover up of all the ex-milkmen from the 50's to the 90's suddenly dieing of rare illnesses and cancers once reaching retirement age?

No me neither. ;) So doubt it's a big issue then as they drove EV's six days a week every week every year of their working lives.

M

·
Eagle Eye
43 Posts
I read such a review and all the EVs tested were well inside legal limits even at foot level. Remember that you are generally shielded from any electro-magnetic field by the vehicle structure.
Makes good sense, goes to show - you shouldn't believe everything you read. BTW any idea of the servicing intervals of the Ampera & the cost of the service?

·
Eagle Eye
43 Posts
If you run on the electric motor every day pottering about town locally and never use the 1.4 petrol engine, do you still need to have it serviced regularly ?

1 - 20 of 92 Posts