Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
After some advice again please

I popped down to Nissan not too far from me (round trip about 80 miles) to see a 30kwh 16reg Tekna with 15k miles. I've been keeping an eye on it for a few weeks now. It was up fro £13598. I had Leaf spy lite installed and took the OBDII with me so I could check some readings. Overall the car looked ok, a few scratches here and there but they said they could polish that off. The disappointing thing for me was the the OBDII didn't work. I can't remember the error message that was showing on the app but I think I may have bought the wrong one (picture attached)
I had a chat with the salesman and they are not budging less than 13k and the only thing they are adding for me is an additional 1 year warranty. Pretty confused now as to whether I should just risk it and purchase the car for 13k and hope the battery is top notch as its only done 15k. They've had the car for around 3 months though.

Should I buy another OBDII and pop down again to check the readings and then make a decision on whether to buy the car or not or shall I rely on their techies providing the battery information report.

Any recommendations on the OBDII if that's the way forward?

Is there anyone here that lives in Cannock?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
See if they have any used finance offers that give you a finance deposit contribution or free services.

You can take it on finance and settle the next day and incur no fees or interest. I did this when I bought my used Zoe (£1,000 deposit contribution and 2 free services).

Sorry can't help on the OBD side. You would hope the SoH would be OK after only 15k miles. Do they not give SoH from the service?

·
Registered
405 Posts
I've bought two bluetooth OBD2 readers now to try to analyse my Fluence. Neither worked. I'd forget buying another IIWY.

£13k sounds like a reasonable discount on the price to me. How many battery bars show on the dashboard?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
See if they have any used finance offers that give you a finance deposit contribution or free services.

You can take it on finance and settle the next day and incur no fees or interest. I did this when I bought my used Zoe (£1,000 deposit contribution and 2 free services).

Sorry can't help on the OBD side. You would hope the SoH would be OK after only 15k miles. Do they not give SoH from the service?
I did check about the finance as I'm not keen on paying interest. They said I need to have the finance for at least 3 months unless they just want to make some money
The only thing they provide as far as I know is just a battery report which shows the amount of bars

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've bought two bluetooth OBD2 readers now to try to analyse my Fluence. Neither worked. I'd forget buying another IIWY.

£13k sounds like a reasonable discount on the price to me. How many battery bars show on the dashboard?
All 12 bars were showing.
Also, initially the chap said we would provide a smart charger for free (chargemaster) and then a few minutes later he said sorry we stopped doing that at the end of November:unsure:

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I did check about the finance as I'm not keen on paying interest. They said I need to have the finance for at least 3 months unless they just want to make some money
The only thing they provide as far as I know is just a battery report which shows the amount of bars
They are lying.

They said the same to me. I settled the next week and I've had the car for 10months. They never asked for the £1k back (I don't know how they would even consider doing this...) and it's booked in for its first service since I've owned it and I confirmed it will be free as part of the service pack I got.

Didn't they have a £400 deposit contribution offer?

·
Registered
405 Posts
All 12 bars were showing.
Also, initially the chap said we would provide a smart charger for free (chargemaster) and then a few minutes later he said sorry we stopped doing that at the end of November:unsure:
Oh, well that's another couple hundred off. :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They are lying.

They said the same to me. I settled the next week and I've had the car for 10months. They never asked for the £1k back (I don't know how they would even consider doing this...) and it's booked in for its first service since I've owned it and I confirmed it will be free as part of the service pack I got.

Didn't they have a £400 deposit contribution offer?
Yeah it was £400 deposit contribution and 2 free services.
I'll ask for the terms and conditions for the finance tomorrow

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Yeah it was £400 deposit contribution and 2 free services.
I'll ask for the terms and conditions for the finance tomorrow
Yea definitely have a read, but I promise you there is no a single mention about a minimum period. The deposit contribution counts towards your overall deposit towards the deal. So if you put £5k down, they will add £400 and therefore the amount you finance is only £7,600. The idea that the dealer has anyway to track your finance deal, work out whether it was settled within 3months and then send you an invoice for £400 just doesn't make any sense....likewise they can't increase the amount you borrow.

Of course if you are in any doubt, you could just pay it down to a very minimal amount and let it run 3months then settle in full. I set up the finance over the shortest period, with the highest deposit and the biggest mileage (to reduce the GFV as much as possible) to minimise interest as much as possible. It will cost you far less than £400 in interest. It was all academic in the end though, as I just settled l soon after.

When you go to book your service just ask them to check. There was something called a ICM (if I remember correctly) code when I asked. It's on the central database, not dealer specific.

·
Registered
145 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Some advice on purchase from previous post:

The OLEV grant does not usually cover the total cost. When negotiating with the dealers, try to get them to include the balance as part of your deal.

When I bought my used 30, I got them to include the total cost of the install, a commitment to assist me with VOSA registration of my tow-hitch and a new updated sd card for the maps.
They are wriggling like fish on a hook over the maps, but they have paid for my install (about£1200 on top of the grant - 100mtrs from mains box to garage) I haven't done much with the tow-hitch yet.
The 7kw is not just good for your leaf, you can regard it as an investment for your property, that may help to mitigate the cost aspect in your mind. Think of it like a satellite dish or fibre connection or mains gas connection, a great sales asset when you go to sell your property.
Be careful of the installers though-they will try to get away with the cheaper 3kw cable run, you MUST insist on a 30amp supply which has to come directly from the incoming mains supply box in your house. Go for a socket rather than the tethered cable version if you can, and get them to include a cable.
And some more advice on PCP deals:

In April on a whim I stopped off at my local dealers and spotted a 2016 Tekna on the forecourt. It had 10800 on the clock and was in pristine showroom condition. Although I had not intended to buy a car for a few more months when some finance was due to become available, I went in and was persuaded to buy it there and then on a PCP deal until my money came on stream. I had a really nice VW EOS, almost a classic now, on which I had spent a considerable amount of money and it was in mint condition. I paid the forecourt ticket price for the Tekna, £16,000 and got a reasonable deal on the Eos. In return I ensured they would pay for the full cost of my install which I insisted would be a 7Kw untethered, lockable into my garage.
I had previously had a quote from an electrician to run a cable to my garage and was quoted over £1500. It's 100mtrs from the incoming mains from the road and entails digging up concrete and much of my front garden.

So I knew how much it would cost the dealer to fit my charger, and I also demanded they supply a new update to my maps and assist me with getting my tow-hitch application through VOSA regulations. It was embarrassing how quickly they produced the paperwork for me to sign, little did they know about the garage cable run.
I had absolutely no qualms about it though as they would have stitched me up if they could have done and I paid forecourt ticket price for the car.
After my finances came through I paid the PCP off in full it only cost me £300 for the 6 months on PCP, well worth it for the car I really wanted.

Best of luck, Tony.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Some advice on purchase from previous post:

The OLEV grant does not usually cover the total cost. When negotiating with the dealers, try to get them to include the balance as part of your deal.

When I bought my used 30, I got them to include the total cost of the install, a commitment to assist me with VOSA registration of my tow-hitch and a new updated sd card for the maps.
They are wriggling like fish on a hook over the maps, but they have paid for my install (about£1200 on top of the grant - 100mtrs from mains box to garage) I haven't done much with the tow-hitch yet.
The 7kw is not just good for your leaf, you can regard it as an investment for your property, that may help to mitigate the cost aspect in your mind. Think of it like a satellite dish or fibre connection or mains gas connection, a great sales asset when you go to sell your property.
Be careful of the installers though-they will try to get away with the cheaper 3kw cable run, you MUST insist on a 30amp supply which has to come directly from the incoming mains supply box in your house. Go for a socket rather than the tethered cable version if you can, and get them to include a cable.
And some more advice on PCP deals:

In April on a whim I stopped off at my local dealers and spotted a 2016 Tekna on the forecourt. It had 10800 on the clock and was in pristine showroom condition. Although I had not intended to buy a car for a few more months when some finance was due to become available, I went in and was persuaded to buy it there and then on a PCP deal until my money came on stream. I had a really nice VW EOS, almost a classic now, on which I had spent a considerable amount of money and it was in mint condition. I paid the forecourt ticket price for the Tekna, £16,000 and got a reasonable deal on the Eos. In return I ensured they would pay for the full cost of my install which I insisted would be a 7Kw untethered, lockable into my garage.
I had previously had a quote from an electrician to run a cable to my garage and was quoted over £1500. It's 100mtrs from the incoming mains from the road and entails digging up concrete and much of my front garden.

So I knew how much it would cost the dealer to fit my charger, and I also demanded they supply a new update to my maps and assist me with getting my tow-hitch application through VOSA regulations. It was embarrassing how quickly they produced the paperwork for me to sign, little did they know about the garage cable run.
I had absolutely no qualms about it though as they would have stitched me up if they could have done and I paid forecourt ticket price for the car.
After my finances came through I paid the PCP off in full it only cost me £300 for the 6 months on PCP, well worth it for the car I really wanted.

Best of luck, Tony.
Thanks Tony for your input.
I've ordered another OBDII so will pop down to Cannock again on the weekend, they have had the car for 3 months so i'm sure wouldn't want to keep it any longer and they haven't had much interest either. The brake discs didn't look great as it looked rusty and the chap said its because its just been sat there for a few months

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does the car have a 3kw or 6kw onboard charger? That should affect price too.

does it have both granny and fast charge cables? Floor mats?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Does the car have a 3kw or 6kw onboard charger? That should affect price too.

does it have both granny and fast charge cables? Floor mats?
Hi, it was showing time to charge with both the 3.3 and the 6kwh onboard charger and both granny and type 1 charger along with the floor mats

·
Registered
17 Posts
This one sounds like the one we were looking at in late November, is it a black one reg bf66 ?

In case it is, I thought I'd share a couple of things that I noticed. They may have fixed these but thought it worth mentioning.

Passenger side central air vent was 'pushed in', broken.

Little flaps over usb and aux ports were broken off.

Service book was not stamped.

Nissan comedy battery report showed two stars in one category.

Tar like substance on carpet ( middle rear)

A fair few scratches and scrapes on the inerior.

Looked like a young mums car with a couple of rowdy kids

It may well be a decent car at a decent price for you. However it was not for me, the last straw was the dealer quoting me the base interest rate and not APR, which annoyed me somewhat.

Finally do check the battery, the obd you bought is the one I got and it works fine.

Best I could get them down to was 13,812. They did offer the 400 contribution and servicing though.

Good luck !

1 - 20 of 27 Posts