Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hi, for anyone needing to keep their 12v lead acid battery charged up during the lockdown, the CTEK charger is recommended as being very effective, easy to use and quiet. Honest John has a comprehensive review,

yep got one of them and easy to use

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
26,293 Posts
Seems very expensive for just 5A.

I guess prices change!

I recommended the Ring RSC408 some time back, hope some folks found that useful. Not sure what 'USP' that 'silent' brings to the sales pitch? Can't say I know of any noisy ones.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Two leading brands in smart chargers: CTEK and Optimate. CTEK are more widely available in the UK, but I think Optimate are often used as OEM from some manufacturers. I think Ring do some too, and I doubt they're any better/worse, this is pretty old tech.

I would say you certainly don't need 5A capability, a cheaper 1A would do fine just to maintain charge, and most EVs don't have big batteries or heavy drain anyway. It's capable of doing a top-up charge too, though obviously takes longer. They mostly come with permanent fix cables to make hooking up easier too. e.g.

CTEK XS 0.8 UK Battery Charger | Halfords UK

I maintained the condition of a 64Ah car battery for ten years on one of these at 0.8 A max charge with zero issues:

OptiMate 4 Dual Program 12V Motorcycle Automatic Battery Charger Optimiser: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

Just remember to charge the battery between its positive terminal and the negative car body ground terminal nearby, NOT directly across the poles of the battery, otherwise the car will not be able to keep track of the battery state.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I love my CTEK. They are more expensive but they are quite clever in how they charge. It is worth the extra IMO.

You can leave it on charge all the time and it will keep the 12v battery in good condition.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts