Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am lucky to gt a Tesla M3 as a company car. Due to Covid-19 restrictions and the distance to my nearest Tesla centre I opted for a home delivery - Oh dear!

I received several texts from Tesla stating delivery dates and identifying videos to familiarise myself with the car. On the appointed day, I expected some communication from someone, but by 1400 I had heard nothing. I called Tesla and was told that the car was being delivered that day and to 'sit back and wait'. I had a Teams Meeting at 1530-1630 so again I rang Tesla at 1520 and was told much the same thing, they were unable to even confirm where the car was! Meeting started, 1540 received a text from www.anyvan.com with a tracker showing that my car was near Heathrow Airport and a deliver forecast to West Cambridgeshire of 1700. That journey is over 100 miles and I have never achieved it in less than 90 minutes, so good luck. Refreshed the app and the ETA remained the same even through the car was making very slow progress up the M1. At 1650 the driver called to say he was running late - no surprise, and he would be with me in 20 minutes. Checked the tracker, no way from his location would he make it on time. ETA simply increased by a minute on each refresh so not very helpful.

Car arrived at 1735. Driver refused to talk about any features or even park the vehicle on my drive, he simply rolled it off the low loader and left it in the road. He took numerous photos, asked for signatures on a hand held but could not explain what I was signing for, handed me the card keys and drove off.

Premium cost - yes, premium product - jury is out, premium service - absolutely not. Delivery service www.anyvan.com is simply an online broker, no link to Tesla. I think for a complex product, the car should have been handed over by someone from Tesla, that courtesy would have been afforded if the car had been collected from a Tesla Centre.

·
Registered
19 Posts
It seems to me that the only single real issue here is that the driver said he'd be with you in 20 minutes instead of 90

Everything else honestly can be expected given the Covid circumstances.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes through my company's leasing company but it was handled and deliver direct from Tesla. Lack of communication and handover courtesy are my main gripes.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Premium cost - yes, premium product - jury is out, premium service - absolutely not.
I think this is where the problem starts and finishes. It's not a premium cost, it's just a lot of money for a car and that raises expectations. Most of the that extra cost is in the battery pack.

Tesla have never said it's a premium product and it's built to US standards which are known to be on the low side compared to what we expect over here.

Neither have Tesla ever said they offer a premium service, (although they did years ago when there were more staff than there were cars) and the guy that delivered your car was just that, a delivery driver. I doubt he would have put any car on the drive.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
I totally understand where you are coming from, you have a day to plan around... You would at least expect a window of a couple of hours for delivery.

If Tesco's £50 shopping can give you a 30min slot I'm sure a £50,000 car could give you a 2 hour window to plan your day around.

Regardless of cost, an £8,000 Kia or an £800,000 Ferrari, you expect some level of hand over and made to feel special on your day of collection.

Tesla need to look at Lexus the market leaders in customer service and PR and at least take on board some things they learn. Repeat customers is of parament importance and first impressions last!

·
Registered
16,858 Posts
I note delivery was organised by the lease company and was a third party.

Probably no coincidence the car wasn’t delivered precisely on time and the driver didn’t know anything about the car.

I suspect this would apply to any marque leased through this firm, so not sure it’s fair to blame Tesla in this case.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
I note delivery was organised by the lease company and was a third party.
He said many times Tesla was handling the delivery. Amazon use many subcontractors, companies use Ups DPD, etc... If there is a problem it's poor reflection on the main company.

I work in construction and we use a lot of subcontractors. Do you really thing my client gives a toss if I tell him it's not my fault the ceiling feel down.... It was our subcontractors Fault? No he won't, and he won't be using us again.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
The delivery was through a third party, which doesn’t sound like a Tesla handover of a new car.

As the car was leased this sounds much more like what a lease company would do.
Are you blind?

"but it was handled and delivered direct from Tesla."

He literally said in both his first post then a follow up all his communication was through Tesla.

If Tesla hand it off to someone else then it still reflects on Tesla.

I give up... Its like debating with a 3 year old.

·
Registered
125 Posts
At least you got your car the day you were supposed to. We were supposed to pick up our Model S from Birmingham (about 10 miles from home) but I got a text the day before to say it hadn't made it on the transporter, and was still in Dartford. Please contact them to arrange delivery some other time.
As we'd already arranged to send back the Evezy car the next day and essentially do a swap, plus needed the car to go on holiday at the end of that week, it wasn't the greatest news.
We rang Tesla and when we voiced our displeasure we were told it was absolutely no problem if we wished to cancel the order under the circumstances! Anyway we eventually decided that the best way to actually get the car in our possession was to travel to Dartford to collect it. Tesla did pay for the train ticket so at least that's something, but it was a bit of an inconvenience!

·
Registered
28 Posts
The way I see it, everyone's expectations differ depending on what you are used to. Given it's a 50k car, your expectations are going to be a bit higher than if you were getting something half the price.

My experience with Nissan 3 years ago was good considering the price though my experience with Lexus prior to this was outstanding and that is where Tesla should be positioning themselves.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
As usual we are not comparing apples to apples as the regular dealers do not in my opinion move the number of deliveries Tesla do in a day.
It is very easy to have the grand reveal pulling a sheet off a new car in a generally deserted showroom as the attention focuses others viewing cars and supposedly brings a warm fuzzy feeling to all!

Tesla on the other hand are selling directly off the web and often deliver like Amazon. The OP did after all opt for home delivery.

My "experience" picking up the car was reasonable with friendly staff at Birmingham who did have time for me as it was a couple of weeks before March when the 20 plates that I wasn't bothered with came out so was quiet.

My car is owned by myself after paying out hard earned cash and not a company car so if anything, I should have more reason to complain but to date the car "has done everything it says on the tin". Panel fit is great, no leaks and yes a bit more paint would be nice (£2000 for red!) but there are no bad areas so maybe I'm one of the few who received a car built by an operative who was proud about what he/she was building.

It looks great and even when towing, is a rocket ship considering it is an SR+.

Tesla fan boi? Maybe. Nothing is perfect but the "experience" of driving such an advanced product with its regular tweaks being added FOC puts it so far ahead of the competition.

It is a breath of fresh air to drive something that has whoopee cushion noises, roaring fire on screen and an amazingly multi coloured road displayed with associated crazy soundtrack when pressing the RH lever four times.
It is not a boring commuters car, family car or undriveable supercar but all three and has brought fun back into driving.

What more do you need?

Reactions: KennethS

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
As usual we are not comparing apples to apples as the regular dealers do not in my opinion move the number of deliveries Tesla do in a day.
Q1 2020 - Tesla Sold 5,304 cars in the UK according to this site - which is 59 cars per day, and has 30 hand over locations, plus deliveries direct.
Which is 2 cars per day per handover point ... probably less due to direct deliveries .. but lets stick with 2.

VW sold 45,090+ Cars in Q1 2020, so that's 501 cars per day. There are 198 dealers, so an average of 2.53 Cars per day per dealer.

VW sold 9 times more cars in the same period, and have only 6 times the number of hand over locations.

I know you said "in your opinion" but these are the facts/numbers.

I'm glade you had a good hand over experience. However letting Tesla of the hook because of feelings or opinions is irreverent. A company should strive to always do better and take constructive criticism where it's due - otherwise it becomes the norm and accepted that bad PR is ok.

·
Registered
16,858 Posts
VW sold 45,090+ Cars in Q1 2020, so that's 501 cars per day. There are 198 dealers, so an average of 2.53 Cars per day per dealer.

VW sold 9 times more cars in the same period, and have only 6 times the number of hand over locations.
And from what I can tell the despise their customers.

I had a VW bike carrier bought from a VW dealer with a clear manufacturing defect. They refused to look at it until I brought the car to them so they could plug it into their diagnostics machine!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts