Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in my first week owning a UK, 2014, Soul EV which I bought second hand (from a Nissan dealership). They sent it to the local Kia dealership for a service as part of the sale, and no issues were flagged to me. It's got a full service history (all from this same local Kia dealership), and 17,000 miles on the clock. It's my first ever car, not just my first EV.

I've charged it successfully from home, using the 3-pin household plug charger, and also made use of the reserved charge function to go only up to 80%, which worked how it should.

Today we tried to do our first 50kW CHAdeMO charge, and it didn't go very well. We went to two different locations and each time successfully connected to the charger and charged the car, but only very slowly. Both charge points were GeniePoint, and I don't think either are used on a very frequent basis, but both had been used within the last week or two if I recall correctly. The car was telling us the outside temperature was 25C, so nothing too dramatic.

We had 40%ish charge when we arrived at the first location. 12 minutes after we started charging, we were still in the low 40%s, so we gave up and disconnected. The GeniePoint site cheerfully illustrated the speed with a tortoise icon during the charge. In fact I've just found in my history on their site. I managed 1.8kWh in 13 minutes, at an average of 7.2kW.

By the time we reached the next CHAdeMO point, the battery was at 19%. Here we managed another 1.8kWh, in 15 minutes, at 7.44kW average. And another tortoise icon.

We ended up going to a third location, and spending 41 minutes attached to a type 2 connector (22kW, which I knew the car would throttle down to 7kW, also run by GeniePoint). We managed 4.26kWh, so that was charging at the expected rate.

Any ideas what would cause this? I spoke to GeniePoint who took diagnostic info from both machines and say they'll get back to me. She was asking me on the phone if there was any setting on the car I might have that was interfering. I'm not aware of one relating to CHAdeMO charging. Unless the car was protecting the battery if it were too hot, too cold, or too something else?

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I would try a visit to a different make of chademo charger just in case there is a software incompatibility, EH probably the main candidate, and if that's the same, get it back to the dealer.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Daft question time you were connecting to the bigger socket with the black cover weren't you and not the one with the Orange cover?

Chademo (Rapid) is the big one 'Fast charge' 7KW max is the Orange one

I can't help but think you were using the Orange one.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ha! The fact it was so close to 7kW does make it sound like I was on the wrong sort of charger all together, but no, I definitely used the CHAdeMO cable (which was tethered to the machine). And it fitted into the right-hand socket with the black cover.

We did then drive off with the charging port open and not notice for the longest time, but I doubt it'll be the last time I do that!

And AnotherJoe, you're right, that would be a sensible next step. There aren't tons of candidates around here, but there are a few so we'll see if we can find time to go to one. I'm curious what if anything will come back from their tech department. In the meantime I will be a lot more careful about remembering to charge overnight!

·
Registered
Ion, Kona, 16 + 18 + 2020 Soul EV
2,630 Posts
@Gemsin We have had this happen before. Still does actually but only on one chargepointgenie rapid near Oakhampton. Reported it and week later was told there was nothing wrong with the rapid!! Weird because its never happened pn any other rapid of theirs. We just avoid that rapid now. So dont worry.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
28,579 Posts
I would say that if the charger put up a tortoise sign it was indicating a fault with itself. It is not there to judge your car and label it a tortoise!

I do not yet think there is a problem with the car. Sign up to polar for a free 3 month introduction and see how you get on with theirs. TBH I have been very satisfied with the chargers and the network, and many of the chargers near motorways look to be in locations that require a minimal diversion and you end up in a much better nicer location to spend a few minutes.

I am not advertising for Polar, but I am happy they are there doing what they are doing.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@Mark-Cornwall that's interesting, I'm glad someone else has had something similar happen but that it's been the exception for you, rather than the rule. I will attempt not to worry about it then! With any luck, I won't have to put my car into the garage for investigation so early into its life with me!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@donald it's taking a while to get my head round all the different networks for charging. Looking them up, I see Polar doesn't happen to have much presence near me, at least not when it comes to CHAdeMO. In fairness, Ecotricity doesn't either and I've got their app downloaded and ready in case I need it, but I prefer that it's PAYG (and that doesn't require me to remember to cancel a subscription, but the free introductory offer would be excellent under other circumstances, so thanks for pointing it out to me).

A way to 'roam' onto a different charging network would be useful (if you were in an area for a short period of time perhaps). But given that I'm still tied to my mobile phone carrier's network in the UK after all these years, suggests that might be a bit of wishful thinking on my part! ;)

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
28,579 Posts
That's unfortunate, but reflects the state of the infrastructure at the moment. Still, you shouldn't need rapid charging much unless you go further afield so it might not make a difference if you don't actually have many nearby.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got a voicemail from GeniePoint today. They said there's a know issue between the Kia Soul EV and the charge points (all? some?) manufactured by a specific company. She gave me a phone number to ring if I'm having problems charging on one of their machines: 02084212411.

I just tried calling the number for more information. First thing to note is that they're currently closed, so quite possibly this help would only be available during business hours. And whether they'd actually be able to wave a magic wand and help during a slow charge, I've no idea.

The automated message said that I'd called APT. Some googling shows them as the manufacturer of Evolt charging stations. (As yet I've no idea if it's just one specific type of Evolt charging station.) But I thought I'd put the number out there, in case it might help someone in future, like @Mark Cornwall somehow stranded in Oakhampton?!

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Kudos to GeniePoint for such a quick follow up.if you get back to APT would be interesting to know what they say and how they would fix it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To update: my sister successfully, and at the proper speed, used a CHAdeMO charger in Lidl which was run by POD Point Open Charge. (I don't know what make/model their chargers are.)

Today we went back to one of the GeniePoint ones we'd had trouble at, found it still gave a very slow charge (averaged about 8kWh today). I phoned Evolt on 02084212411 while we were connected to the machine and they took diagnostics. The employee I spoke to was interesting and believes that the issue between the Kia Soul EV and their CHAdeMO chargers is limited to the "pre-production" Soul EVs. Mine was first registered in October 2014, so it's one of the earliest I believe.

He also said that Kia haven't come back to them about this issue when Evolt have tried to resolve it with them. (?)

I've started by contacting my local Kia dealer and asking if my firmware version is up to date. I'll see if an update will help, if available. Evolt reckoned that it was my car throttling the charge speed rather than their machine. We shall see.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Thats weird because we have a March 2016 Soul EV and had and continue to have same issue, but only at 1 chargepointgenie rapid, the rest of their rapids work fine for us.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That puts a different complexion on it @Mark Cornwall!

The Evolt guy had said that Dundee City Council had a fleet of Soul EVs that were from 2015 and that they didn't have any issues. I don't know which (if any!) of the CHAdeMO charge points in Dundee are manufactured by Evolt though, or even if Dundee City Council's cars are likely to drive enough miles in a day that they'd need to rapid charge?

The pictures of the Whitehouse Services CHAdeMO charger on ZapMap look like the Evolt-manufactured ones I'm having issues with. Have you tried using any of the CHAdeMO chargers in Cornwall yourself? Or do you not need to rapid charge so close to home?

The two troublesome ones I've tried are both in Cornwall. A quick look shows of the 18 CHAdeMO charge points open to the general public in Cornwall, 14 are GeniePoint, 2 are Ecotricity, and 2 are Polar Plus. So, assuming that all of the GP ones are the same Evolt model, then my rapid charging would be seriously limited in Cornwall if I can't get this fixed.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I've got a 65 plate Soul. Have rapid charged pretty widely and only place I've ever had a problem was the Chargepoint Genie charger at the Eden District Council Public Car Park in Kirby Stephen which dispensed less than 6kWh in about an hour. Called helpline and they did diagnostic tests but never got a satisfactory explanation and have avoided since.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Have had at charge on long trips on way home at Bodmin, Bude, Theatre Royal Plymouth and Callington CPG Rapids and had no problems at all.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Interesting! The ones that didn't work for me were The Holmbush Inn, St Austell, and Tolvaddon fire station.

I'll have to try some more out and see how I do.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
I will remember to avoid those 2 as well then!! Worth remembering if your in Cornwall the Hayle and St Stephen near St Austell Hawkins Motors dealerships have rapids at each. Just call and ask and they will let you charge.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I assumed that I wouldn't be able to charge at the Hawkins ones. That's good intel!

The Okehampton and Kirby Stephen chargers look (from the photos) identical, both to the ones that DON'T work for me, and the other ones which DO work for @Mark Cornwall. It will be interesting to see if my car will/won't charge properly at the same ones as you two.

I let my sister know that we need to gather more data points!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts