Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Ion, Kona, 16 + 18 + 2020 Soul EV
2,630 Posts
I think it may be something as simple as certain chargers having older software that has never been updated whilst the other identical chargers have been.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've got a 2018 Soul and was recently in Cornwall. Charged in both Truro and St Austell without issue.

You may try a trip up to the Ecotricity chargers at the Cornwall Services. One charger, 1269, was on free vend at the weekend...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
@mfs1011 that's interesting. Which chargers in particular did you use in Truro and St Austell?

And yes, we definitely plan to try out the Ecotricity one in Cornwall Services. Free vend is even better! I've warned my sister that I now want to try out as many chargers in the county as possible. But when we'll have the time is another matter.

·
Registered
42 Posts
@mfs1011 that's interesting. Which chargers in particular did you use in Truro and St Austell?

And yes, we definitely plan to try out the Ecotricity one in Cornwall Services. Free vend is even better! I've warned my sister that I now want to try out as many chargers in the county as possible. But when we'll have the time is another matter.
I think there's only one in each town run by Genie? Anyway, County Arms (Truro) and Holmbush (St A).

·
Registered
42 Posts
To update: my sister successfully, and at the proper speed, used a CHAdeMO charger in Lidl which was run by POD Point Open Charge. (I don't know what make/model their chargers are.)

Today we went back to one of the GeniePoint ones we'd had trouble at, found it still gave a very slow charge (averaged about 8kWh today). I phoned Evolt on 02084212411 while we were connected to the machine and they took diagnostics. The employee I spoke to was interesting and believes that the issue between the Kia Soul EV and their CHAdeMO chargers is limited to the "pre-production" Soul EVs. Mine was first registered in October 2014, so it's one of the earliest I believe.

He also said that Kia haven't come back to them about this issue when Evolt have tried to resolve it with them. (?)

I've started by contacting my local Kia dealer and asking if my firmware version is up to date. I'll see if an update will help, if available. Evolt reckoned that it was my car throttling the charge speed rather than their machine. We shall see.
Presumably you have a 7 year 70k warranty? I'd get in touch with your local Kia dealer and see what they say. They may be able to flash your car's firmware and update it?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thanks @mfs1011 ... I wanted to rule out Eden. And, at a push, Trevissome Park.

Knowing that another Soul EV has been successful charging at the Holmbush Inn is particularly encouraging. :D

The local dealership hasn't got back to me yet about my firmware version yet. I'll have to chase them. With any luck it will be fairly straightforward to get my issue resolved. Fingers crossed.

If there's some software/firmware on the charging points that could be updated as well, that might be useful (at least on those charge points which others have had issues using).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I should've updated this thread, but never did.

We eventually booked the car into our local Kia dealership (Hawkins) who worked some sort of magic (under warranty) on my car. It now charges properly regardless of which chademo charger we're using. Yay.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts