Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a Vespa Elettrica scooter which charges from a three pin domestic socket . My local Asda has Chargemaster chargers with an option to charge with a 3 pin socket , i had a look at the charger and the cover for the 3 pin socket doesn’t lift , do I need to get the RFID card from customer services and present it to the charger to release the 3 pin cover ? Thanks .

·
Registered
636 Posts
You would either need a polar plus card with its subscription... or maybe the polar instant app which would have a connection fee.
I doubt that asda would have a card to give customers free access but you never know.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m sure I’ve read that ASDA will give you a RFID card at customer services thus allowing free charging , what I’m trying to find out is how to open the 3 pin cover , the covers to the other type of charging socket seemed to be open on all three of the chargers in the car park .

·
Registered
802 Posts
I’m sure I’ve read that ASDA will give you a RFID card at customer services thus allowing free charging , what I’m trying to find out is how to open the 3 pin cover , the covers to the other type of charging socket seemed to be open on all three of the chargers in the car park .
The Asda in Barnstaple allow people to use a card from customer services. as far I know the cover releases when you place the card on the charger. It's been a long time since I used one of them and in my case it was released remotely by Chargemaster

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mclarkie that sounds good , I was in a hurry and didn’t go into the store next time I visit on the scooter I’ll give myself some time and have a chat at customer services and get the info from the horses mouth , the range of the Elettrica is about 43 miles which does me as I use it to commute to work , but it’s always handy to know that I may be able to get a charge at an Asda store if needed , there are not too many chargers with a 3 pin option .

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
353 Posts
I understand Asda will issue you with a RFID card on payment of a £10 refundable deposit. Failing that you will need a Polar Plus subscription at £7.85 per month.
I only learnt recently that the 3-pin socket is accessible even when the other socket is being used.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,259 Posts
I'm pretty sure the Polar posts with 3 pin sockets are ancient. You'll be lucky to find one that works.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mike that’s good I don't want to subscribe as my charging is exclusively at home , the Asda option would be in emergencies but Sandy may have just burst my bubble . There are no other 3 pin chargers that I’m aware of on the UK network or are there ?

·
Registered
802 Posts

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,543 Posts
I used my own Chargemaster card the last time I used an Asda charger, a few years ago now and whilst the charging is free my account was charged a £2.40 connection fee. So it will be fine if you can 'borrow' a card from customer services. but I would not go for any type of account due to this connection fee and a wee capacity scooter unless it was a last resort.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,369 Posts
Here's James of James and Kate charging a Twizy on a type 2. Cable at around 4 mins.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Excuse my ignorance , if I was to buy a cable with a type 2 to 3 pin socket and plug my scooter into a public type 2 charger would the amperage , voltage etc be the same as when I charge my scooter at home using my 3 pin sockets .

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Excuse my ignorance , if I was to buy a cable with a type 2 to 3 pin socket and plug my scooter into a public type 2 charger would the amperage , voltage etc be the same as when I charge my scooter at home using my 3 pin sockets .
Yes - the voltage is standard mains, and it's the scooter's onboard charger that determines the current.
The cable just includes a couple of components that make the type 2 outlet think it has a car connected, so it turns the power on

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks very much , I’ve contacted Piaggio just to be sure , if I can charge from type 2 chargers my options to use the scooter for days out rather than commuting will allow me to enjoy the scooter even more .

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,751 Posts
I expect the EVSE/charger is all onboard the bike. Like in the Twizy. So no Type 2 compatibility.

The Vespa website doesn't say much about charging.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
cah197 so I may be disappointed , I’ll wait to see what Piaggio have to say , although in a previous post there was a video of a Twizy using a type 2 charger .

1 - 20 of 37 Posts