Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We love our Kona electric, but the one thing that I miss or would like is the ability to make the virtual engine sound system (VESS) louder!
I realise some people like to turn it off altogether, and to be fair most of the time it doesn't really matter, but a few times now I have found myself going slowly around a car park only to come up behind pedestrians having a lovely chat right in the middle of the "road". It seems terribly rude to beep the horn, and obviously there is no engine to rev, so what to do?
Usually, I don't think they do it deliberately, it's just they simply haven't noticed (particularly if it's an otherwise noisy environment).
So here's the thing. Does anyone know if it's possible to alter the volume and just, temporarily, crank it up a bit to get their attention?
I have toyed with the idea of fitting some sort of aftermarket sound generator, but part of me thinks I don't really want to fiddle about like that and all I really need is the option to make what is already there a bit more attention grabbing on occasion.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Kona Premium SE 64kWh, Ceramic Blue
82 Posts
Personally, I would like to be able to change the sound via a simple upload system to anything I want, but I have tested doing the opposite, and driven slowly around a car park with the vess thing switched off, most people do actually hear the car coming from the wheel noise so I'm not sure what actual difference the vess noise makes.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You may have a point there. The reversing "boing" is relatively muted but I think more noticeable because it is not continuous.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You know when the lorries say, "warning, vehicle is reversing"? You need to make a recording on your phone and hold it out of the window. "Warning electric vehicle approaching . . . Warning . . ." :)
I quite like the idea of playing a recording, but what about the first part of this advert from years ago (without the voice-over at the end)?
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
"Get out of the way"

·
Registered
Kona Electric, EU base with heat pump
477 Posts
I agree, it's too subtle and I've used the off/on trick to make myself noticed. There's no way to make it louder without taking the unit out and installing an additional amplifier, or reverse engineering the existing amp to see if there's more gain available. It doesn't help that the front grill is nearly free of openings and the sound itself is not what people are subconsciously litening for.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I agree, it's too subtle and I've used the off/on trick to make myself noticed. There's no way to make it louder without taking the unit out and installing an additional amplifier, or reverse engineering the existing amp to see if there's more gain available. It doesn't help that the front grill is nearly free of openings and the sound itself is not what people are subconsciously litening for.
Where is the “unit”?

·
Registered
721 Posts
I leave mine off (i3) by default as it irritates me. But if I do find a lost soul wandering aimlessly through a car park then turning it on tends to alert them pretty quickly. It was the same on my old Leaf.

So yeah I think switching it off and on will make it more noticeable.

Or just wind the window down and cough loudly.

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
Thanks! I should be able to permanently disable it now 🙂👍
Bear in mind that (since last year I think) noise generators are now compulsory on new cars. So there could be legal implications.

Which makes me wonder if new cars have a switch still.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Bear in mind that (since last year I think) noise generators are now compulsory on new cars. So there could be legal implications.

Which makes me wonder if new cars have a switch still.
Yes, true, I’m not advocating others to do this.
Mine is an ‘18 year model with a switch (that I always turn off each time I get in, it’d be one less button to press)

·
Registered
60 Posts
I guess permanently disabling the VESS (as opposed top just turning it off) might also be viewed as a modification and so invalidate your insurance.

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
I usually switch it off but I do find it a good idea for carparks and town driving etc. I wouldn't want to disable it completely, but wouldn't want to be without a switch to turn it off most of the time either.

I heard an e-Golf pull out of a parking space the other day and thought that it did sound slightly like a motor and wasn't obnoxious. Inside the e-Golf it is nealy impossible to hear, why can't they make the Kona/Niro like that?

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
I think it just has to be on by default, rather than switchless.

I generally have mine turned off, but turn it on if people are not paying attention in the car park.

Reactions: Gadget Geek

·
Registered
433 Posts
I agree. I think car parks are the biggest danger for pedestrians, although I don't think any driver would deliberately run into a pedestrian (I might make an exception for certain annoying "personalities" :) ). I have on certain occasions had to pip the horn, but a smile and a friendly wave diffuses any annoyance.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts