Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Vibration noise & accelerator pedal?

7K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Tez 
#1 ·
Hey,

I have a 2013 Volt with 100500 miles on the clock.

Last week it started making a humming / vibration noise which can be felt through the accelerator pedal.

I checked all the videos of blown stator bearings and it doesn't sound anything like that, it's a constant gentle hum, like the petrol engine running (it isn't) and it doesn't whine on deceleration or braking.

I tried recording it but you can't really hear it in the videos.

I disconnected the 12v battery for 5 minutes then reconnected it and that solved nothing.

Should I be worried? Any suggestions what it might be / how to fix it?

Thanks

#6 ·
What does the noise do if you go faster / slower ? Do you feel it more or does it go away? what can we say
1/ The source is something rotating because the car is moving at 30 mph in pure elctric mode
2/ The noise is being coupled into the body shell
3/ It's at the right amplitude and frequency to be felt through the accelerator pedal

Given the miles wheel bearing has to be a favourite ( Sparkie 419K miles volt said wheel bearing last 100K and replace in pairs) if not then drive shafts or 4ET50 bearings ( not heard of issues beyond the support bearing but there is always a first time)

If there is nothing obvious just keep driving it the noise will declare itself at some point, I have the same issue with my ICE there is a bearing type noise at 20mph, local spanner man says wheel bearings are fine, gearbox bloke says it's not the box so nothing else to do at the moment ( I hate unexplained noises )

#8 ·
I have a similar noise, I'm convinced it's nearside rear wheel drive bearing but when I check it, it spins freely. I'm going to have to wait till it gets comically bad before I can track it down, I'm sure of that.

#9 ·
I got nervous so I booked it in today to get it looked at. I've resigned to the fact it probably is going to be an expensive wheel bearing. If only it happened a couple of weeks ago when it was under 100,000 miles :-(

As for the question what does it do when I speed up slow down, the vibration matches the speed of the car (if that makes sense).

How bad is it to drive on a knackered wheel bearing? I have a 2000 mile trip coming up :-S

#10 ·
I had this issue, it's wheel bearing, my mech friend said he never seen any one report it so early in failure. Its becuase you wouldn't notice it in a normal petrol due to normal vibration.

#12 ·
I got nervous so I booked it in today to get it looked at. I've resigned to the fact it probably is going to be an expensive wheel bearing. If only it happened a couple of weeks ago when it was under 100,000 miles :-( :-S
I had to have mine replaced, both front, as one sides noise was drowning out the other side. They were not covered by the 100,000 warranty, I had to pay for them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.