Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
ID.4 & ID.3
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone else experiencing a vibration noise coming from the offside rear wheel area when going over slightly uneven road?

It sounds like something is loose or “wobbling about” in that area.

I have managed to record it but I can't seem to upload the file to this post.....is not not something that is permitted to be uploaded?

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,875 Posts
I presume you’ve checked for loose items in the rear underfloor area, where the basic tools/wheel key are etc?

·
Registered
ID.4 & ID.3
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I presume you’ve checked for loose items in the rear underfloor area, where the basic tools/wheel key are etc?
Yes indeed. Took everything out from the boot as well and still making the noise.

VW dealer has had it back in but “no-one could hear it” so I gave given them a recording of it which clearly shows it is there and how often it is making it.

·
Premium Member
6,875 Posts
Yes indeed. Took everything out from the boot as well and still making the noise.

VW dealer has had it back in but “no-one could hear it” so I gave given them a recording of it which clearly shows it is there and how often it is making it.
That must be really annoying.

I’ve heard of rear dampers making a rattle noise, it was a known issue on the Mk7 Golf, even on some cars from the factory.

There’s no brake disk shield on the ID.4, due to the drum brakes fitted, so that rules that out.

I’m struggling to think of anything obvious that could be checked without partial disassembly. I suppose on that corner of the car there’s the charging socket, driveshaft and hub, so any of those could be culprits. There’s the damper top mount as well, but on a new vehicle that’s unlikely.

Does it still rattle when the rear seats are folded? What about the so called ‘parcel shelf’? Why is the latter still called that, or is it just older people still using that term? I suppose it’s the luggage area cover or something now?

·
Registered
ID.4 & ID.3
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That must be really annoying.

I’ve heard of rear dampers making a rattle noise, it was a known issue on the Mk7 Golf, even on some cars from the factory.

There’s no brake disk shield on the ID.4, due to the drum brakes fitted, so that rules that out.

I’m struggling to think of anything obvious that could be checked without partial disassembly. I suppose on that corner of the car there’s the charging socket, driveshaft and hub, so any of those could be culprits. There’s the damper top mount as well, but on a new vehicle that’s unlikely.

Does it still rattle when the rear seats are folded? What about the so called ‘parcel shelf’? Why is the latter still called that, or is it just older people still using that term? I suppose it’s the luggage area cover or something now?
It is very annoying.

I haven’t tried it with the rear seats down so could give that a go later. I will remove the parcel shelf at the same time.

The charging socket is on the offside of the car but I did have an Audi A6 a couple of years ago and that had a very similar noise at the rear but the actual issue was found to be with the suspension at the front, bizarrely. So it somehow transferred the noise to the rear!!

·
Premium Member
6,875 Posts
It is very annoying.

I haven’t tried it with the rear seats down so could give that a go later. I will remove the parcel shelf at the same time.

The charging socket is on the offside of the car but I did have an Audi A6 a couple of years ago and that had a very similar noise at the rear but the actual issue was found to be with the suspension at the front, bizarrely. So it somehow transferred the noise to the rear!!
Yep, these things can be tricky to track down, sound travels in strange ways in cars sometimes.

·
Premium Member
6,875 Posts
It is very annoying.

One more thought is the rear tailgate, are there any adjustable rubber stops to change the tension?

I purchased this wonderful stuff called ‘gummi pflege’ or some such from BMW more than 20 years ago, came in a toothpaste type tube with a sponge on it.

I used the same tube just the other week to lubricate the door seals on my car, the drivers one had started making a slight squeak over bumps etc.

·
Registered
ID.4 & ID.3
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One more thought is the rear tailgate, are there any adjustable rubber stops to change the tension?

I purchased this wonderful stuff called ‘gummi pflege’ or some such from BMW more than 20 years ago, came in a toothpaste type tube with a sponge on it.

I used the same tube just the other week to lubricate the door seals on my car, the drivers one had started making a slight squeak over bumps etc.
Thanks @Tooks , I shall have a look at that as well this afternoon.

·
Registered
ID.4 & ID.3
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

So I removed the parcel shelf, had the rear seats down and also played around with the tailgate dampers.

Unfortunately nothing I tried made the noise go away.

It will now go back in to my local VW dealer especially now the6 have a recording of the noise.

Thanks for your suggestions @Tooks

·
Banned
367 Posts
Perhaps the exhaust is loose?😱

Are your wheel nuts tight?
It could be a drum brake that needs adjusting.
Or bad suspension components or a bad bearing.

I would love to hear that sound, I could probably point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
ID.4 & ID.3
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Perhaps the exhaust is loose?😱

Are your wheel nuts tight?
It could be a drum brake that needs adjusting.
Or bad suspension components or a bad bearing.

I would love to hear that sound, I could probably point you in the right direction.
Thanks for your input.

I have actually managed to share the audio file on OneDrive...

It's not the clicking sound that can be heard occasionally but the "knocking/vibration" kind of noise.

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
Dumb question - have you checked the tyre? Last time I had a knocking noise, there was a massive bolt embedded in the tyre that was whacking on the road as I drove. It was really loud on some surfaces and barely audible on others. Made a surprisingly good seal as well - next to no pressure loss.

·
Banned
367 Posts
Thanks for your input.

I have actually managed to share the audio file on OneDrive...

It's not the clicking sound that can be heard occasionally but the "knocking/vibration" kind of noise.
That rattling, clunky kind of sound that gets worse towards the end of the recording, sounds like metal on metal somewhere in the suspension.
However, as it’s unlikely to be a bad suspension on a new car, I would check first that the wheel nuts are tight, all of them. A distracted mechanic or assembly worker may have forgotten to torque the nuts. It happens.

·
Registered
ID.4 & ID.3
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dumb question - have you checked the tyre? Last time I had a knocking noise, there was a massive bolt embedded in the tyre that was whacking on the road as I drove. It was really loud on some surfaces and barely audible on others. Made a surprisingly good seal as well - next to no pressure loss.
I was led to believe that the dealer technicians had checked all the tyres when they had it in the last couple of days and they didn’t find anything untoward .... but thanks for you suggestion.

·
Registered
ID.4 & ID.3
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That rattling, clunky kind of sound that gets worse towards the end of the recording, sounds like metal on metal somewhere in the suspension.
However, as it’s unlikely to be a bad suspension on a new car, I would check first that the wheel nuts are tight, all of them. A distracted mechanic or assembly worker may have forgotten to torque the nuts. It happens.
Thanks.....I’ll have a look at that tomorrow. You’d like to think that this would have been checked by the technicians when they had the car in on Wednesday and Thursday, but it’s worth checking.

·
Registered
ID.4 & ID.3
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This morning I took the car back to the dealer and their Master Technician came out in the car with me and heard the noise straightaway.

They have kept the car in and got a driver to take me home.

Let‘s hope they find the issue and fix it.

·
Banned
367 Posts
This morning I took the car back to the dealer and their Master Technician came out in the car with me and heard the noise straightaway.

They have kept the car in and got a driver to take me home.

Let‘s hope they find the issue and fix it.
Excellent. Please keep fellows posted on the source of the issue.

·
Registered
ID.4 & ID.3
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Excellent. Please keep fellows posted on the source of the issue.
Just had a call from the VW Service Manager.

The good news is that they have found the issue.

The bad news is that it needs the rear shock absorbers replaced !!!

Even worse, as the car is brand new, they don't have the parts in stock so they are on back order. It could be up to 10 days before they arrive to them.

Very disappointing as I have only had the car for just over a week and it's been with the dealer for 4 days so far.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,101 Posts
That's very poor support from VW. No doubt they are also blaming BREXIT. ;)

·
Banned
367 Posts
Just had a call from the VW Service Manager.

The good news is that they have found the issue.

The bad news is that it needs the rear shock absorbers replaced !!!

Even worse, as the car is brand new, they don't have the parts in stock so they are on back order. It could be up to 10 days before they arrive to them.

Very disappointing as I have only had the car for just over a week and it's been with the dealer for 4 days so far.
Thanks for the update.
It will be interesting to see if other people will report this issue or whether it will be an isolated exception.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts