Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it me and something I am doing, or have the forced adverts on this site suddenly become much more vicious and aggressive at dragging ones CPU down?

Last year I was forced into buying, at considerable expense for me, some fancy laptop that I am on now, with the very latest processor. My previous laptop was cheap and not hugely powerful and was just getting really jammed up with advert crap. We (society in general) really shouldn't be forced into buying ever more powerful computers just to run animated adverts, FFS!

I realise a year can be a long time in computing but it's a frikkin powerful processor as far as I am concerned (i7-8550U), and I keep getting pauses and shyte as it tries to download and crank up those adverts.

Is it something else that is happening to my computer I need to investigate, or to us all? It is not happening with any other websites I frequent (though I usually avoid those ones with HD animations running wild, if you know what I mean! ;) ).

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I find the bottleneck in laptops is the slow mechanical hard drive, where fitted. Replacing the typical 5400rpm drive with an SSD reaps huge benefits!
Of course there are always ad blockers too.:)

·
Registered
442 Posts
Is it me and something I am doing, or have the forced adverts on this site suddenly become much more vicious and aggressive at dragging ones CPU down?

Last year I was forced into buying, at considerable expense for me, some fancy laptop that I am on now, with the very latest processor. My previous laptop was cheap and not hugely powerful and was just getting really jammed up with advert crap. We (society in general) really shouldn't be forced into buying ever more powerful computers just to run animated adverts, FFS!

I realise a year can be a long time in computing but it's a frikkin powerful processor as far as I am concerned (i7-8550U), and I keep getting pauses and shyte as it tries to download and crank up those adverts.

Is it something else that is happening to my computer I need to investigate, or to us all? It is not happening with any other websites I frequent (though I usually avoid those ones with HD animations running wild, if you know what I mean! ;) ).
Get a Raspberry Pi 4 for web browsing, No adds, No glitches on full HD videos. Needs heatsink. Put it in the bin if it gets naughty.

·
The best there is at what I do
10,544 Posts
Memory is a big factor as well, the more RAM you have means the OS doesnt have to use the HD as virtual memory that's why SSDs work so well, try downloading and running CCleaner it's free, it will clean out a lot of temporary files off your HD and also make sure the Registry is kept free of redundant entries.

If you think this site gobbles up resources you should see what Facebook does, truely shocking how much memory it uses for all its ads, I'm convinced they are sponsored by PC/Laptop manufacturers.

·
23,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've got 16GB ram, it never goes anywhere near swap space that I have noticed.

·
23,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's happening right now, the same IKEA advert keeps coming up, and it is consuming 40% processing power of an i7 chip plus 7% of a dedicated GPU chip. I shut down the window, leaving my other few dozen windows open, and it's back to normal no problem with all the other tabs.

It says it is constantly refreshing and downloading and then waiting for px.moatads, amongst others.

·
23,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's what this site is trying to download in adverts.

So, basically, go on this site and it downloads spyware?

errr.... can we do something about this, @Admin?

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
How do I turn them off?
Use an ad blocker (everyone has a different suggestion) or a privacy browser like DuckDuckGo. The choice depends a bit on what you using at present.

On the PC I use DDG plugin (or something) within Chrome, which retains all my Chrome bookmarks, etc. On Android I use the actual DDG browser for this site, but use Chrome for most other stuff.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
On the PC I use DDG plugin (or something) within Chrome, which retains all my Chrome bookmarks, etc.
I just checked and it's "DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials" Extension for Chrome.
For Android the actual DDG browser is in the Play store as "DuckDuckGo Privacy Browser"

·
Administrator
387 Posts
@donald

Are you still havening issues?

Maybe try some basic maintenance on the PC also like clearing cache, examples below:

Jeff M

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
You might want to use ublock origin instead, Adblock guys have been caught doing some shady things before.

But year always amazes me that people don't use ublock. It's been around forever. I install it on every PC/Phone i come across, makes people universally happy.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts