Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you own an electric vehicle that is not rated to tow a trailer (see list below), but want to bring some extra stuff on a trip, what can you do? You can add a roof rack and cargo box, but it is a bit more complicated that just sticking it on the roof. There are important things that you should know before you buy, and this video gives you the basic information needed. I hope you like the video and please let me know if you have any questions.

A list of some EVs that are not rated to tow**.
Towing with one of these vehicles could void your warranty:
  • Nissan Leaf
  • Kia Niro EV
  • Kia Soul EV
  • Hyundai Kona Electric
  • Hyundai Ioniq Electric
  • Mustang Mach-E
  • Renault ZOE
  • VW e-Golf

** may vary depending on the country.

·
Registered
eNiro 64kWh 2021. Ioniq 38kWh 2020.
1,183 Posts
Thanks for this Andre. Have you looked at the range hit from this? Also, there are some suggestions that if you fit the box backwards, the impact on aerodynamics is not as bad as it acts like a wing profile, or an aerodynamic cycle helmet, which make sense:

I wondered if you had any views on this?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for this Andre. Have you looked at the range hit from this? Also, there are some suggestions that if you fit the box backwards, the impact on aerodynamics is not as bad as it acts like a wing profile, or an aerodynamic cycle helmet, which make sense:

I wondered if you had any views on this?
I knew of flipping the box around, but the big difference between what is in the article, and the video I have seen, is that the Pulse M is not a slim box like the ski box being shown. The ski box has a very rounded and small rear area, whereas the Pulse M is much wider and has a large flat rear. If I were to turn the Pulse M around it would be like putting a flat wall on my roof and would impact the range pretty heavily. If I had a small/slim box like in the article I would test the difference, but in my case I don't need to test to know it would be bad for range :cool:.
Thanks for the information and link, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
Kia E Niro 4
689 Posts
Why not fabricate some wind avoidance to your box, shouldn't be a too difficult DIY task

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why not fabricate some wind avoidance to your box, shouldn't be a too difficult DIY task
So far I have no need to add anything to my setup, it works very well and is very quiet without the box, and very reasonable with the box installed. If I close the sunshade of the sunroof I don't hear anything from my installation :cool:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts