Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
VW e-Up, Opel Ampera, Tesla Model S, Nissan Leaf, Mitsubishi iMiEV, BMW i3 and some water...

P.S. I was SURE I posted this back in the summer but I've wanted to reference it a couple of times and not been able to find it. If someone knows/sees the original let me know and I'll delete this and put it down to losing my marbles.

·
My Evezy.co.uk referral code: b4552
Tesla Model 3 SR
372 Posts
It is probably down to centre of gravity? The BM and the Mitsubishi are very tall and the mitsi is incredibly narrow too.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I couldn't work out what they were testing exactly, but the BMW appears to be worryingly useless, and the tesla is so fat that it literally isn't effected by anything other than small solar systems ! :)

·
Registered
558 Posts
As a biker I needed no more proof that BMW drivers are the worst:p.
I'm not a Clarkson fan but the BMW driver did look like this

Also from what I can tell the imiev and i3 did the worse due to being RWD. The tesla has a wider stance and weighs more adding stability but he also never seemed to be driving as fast as the others.

Also where all tyres the same make and have the same tread? That test was very extreme and if they had winter tyres equipped (more likely to happen in winter) they would have faired much better,

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Interesting that both times the i3 spins out the brake lights come on momentarily, which isn't the case for the other cars. If you want to unstick a RWD car on a skid pan, sure, jabbing the brakes and returning to the gas is certainly how you do it...

But that's not a certain guide to pedal operation - could be the heavy regen (which is supposed to disengage when the stability control activates) playing a part. The i3 has a very quick steering rack though, given it's comedy turning circle, and so one yank will achieve a higher steering angle than those US canalboats :p

Not a very scientific test. That Tesla is crawling, but at well over two tons it'd be bound to perform the best.

Reactions: Dblock

·
Registered
558 Posts
I doubt the tyres could have been identical given the large difference in rims, and I don't know if there would be any discernible difference using winter tyres.

The BMW and the Mitsubishi seemed the more unstable.

Pity the Zoe wasn't there. In the other video where the cars were attempted to be skewed to try and lift a wheel or provoke them to flip I thought that the Zoe performed very well.
There would have been a massive difference if they used winter. It's not really a scientific test but cool all the same.

I'd put that down to rwd. If the Zoe is based on the clio cocking a wheel won't cause it to flip.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts