Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Looks like a racing car but sounds like something else. I'm not convinced however that F1-style racing will really excite the general populous as I think it's maybe a bit dull and old hat.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Looks like a racing car but sounds like something else. I'm not convinced however that F1-style racing will really excite the general populous as I think it's maybe a bit dull and old hat.
I'm with you on this one, I just don't see it being exciting enough for the general public. I certainly hope it takes off and becomes a success, as the technological developments that could come from the racing will hopefully flow though to our standard road cars.

·
Registered
81 Posts
That sound is weird. Something like a rocket and a toy car at the same time.
I thought it sounded like they had put a speaker in to make it sound a little like a Formula 1 engine when entering & leaving the corners. Maybe it is just the motor & gearbox, but it certainly sounds like a manufactured sound to me.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Well, I guess it depends what makes car racing exciting for you.

If you want the traditional noise (so loud you need earplugs!) & smells of petrol and oil then I am sure that Formula E willl seem boring.

On the other hand, if you watch racing for the wheel to wheel excitement of cars doing 150mph+, side by side into corners, then it will be every bit as exciting as ICE racing.

From what I understand, a lot of research has been done to determine if e-racing would appeal to traditional race car enthusiast, including trial races, and it turns out that more of us watch racing for the second reason than for the first.

I am a huge racing fan, I have raced karts myself (I was rubbish!), I have gone through the race school at Brands Hatch and I have been a motor race marshal for many years at Brands Hatch, Silverstone, Cadwell Park, Oulton Park,
Lydd and even was a pitlane marshal at the British GP! I certainly accept that there will be many that don't think e-racing is real racing but for me I will keep an open mind. If the racing is good then I can live without the noise and smells of the past :)

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
As a long time motor racing enthusiast and ex-marshall I am so looking forward to fomula E. people say it will lack the excitement of ICE motorsport but I suspect that it will still be just as exciting and from this video it will still have a great sound.

This is just 25% of race power. Imagine 18 of these at full power thundering into the first corner... I can't wait!

Edit: Video removed as already in thread! Sorry :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts