Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like my Kia Niro EV (e-Niro in Europe) and it is a great car, but considering the price paid, the fact that Kia did not install hood struts is a bit strange; Hyundai did the same thing in the Kona and the Ioniq. In this episode I solve the problem in my Niro EV with hood struts that I bought directly from China. I also answer viewer questions by explaining what some of the things are under the hood.

NOTE: One thing I did not do in this video, but strongly recommend, is to put grease in the ball sockets of the hood struts. This will prevent premature wear and noises in the long term.

Registered
2020 Kona EV, Red, 230.4MJ (64kWh) Premium SE (10.5kW OBC)
Great video - I just fitted gas struts to my Kona bonnet (hood) and like you I am delighted with them. I'm also very pleased to see my red Kona in your video, complete with its blue coolant! 馃榿

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great video - I just fitted gas struts to my Kona bonnet (hood) and like you I am delighted with them. I'm also very pleased to see my red Kona in your video, complete with its blue coolant! 馃榿
That was your picture I "borrowed" from the Internet? That is hilarious! All I did was do a Google search for Kona Electric coolant and pulled one that had nice resolution. :D

@Andre Laurence are you going to get a frunk next?
I don't really have a need for the Frunk since all of the charging stations in North America have the cable attached to them and there is plenty of storage room in the Niro. There is also the fact that the cost of the Frunk, with shipping and the exchange rate to CDN $ makes it far too expensive.

Registered
2020 Kona EV, Red, 230.4MJ (64kWh) Premium SE (10.5kW OBC)
That was your picture I "borrowed" from the Internet? That is hilarious! All I did was do a Google search for Kona Electric coolant and pulled one that had nice resolution. :D
Even more amusing, I posted it on this very forum! Round and round in ever decreasing circles - just like the wheel from my other car in the background of the shot which is what gave it away in the first place!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Even more amusing, I posted it on this very forum! Round and round in ever decreasing circles - just like the wheel from my other car in the background of the shot which is what gave it away in the first place!
You have to be kidding me! That is hilarious.
Now I have to look at the picture again to see the wheel in the background.
Thanks for such a good picture! :)

Registered
Would like to know what the forum members think...

Could this mod affect the safety of car?
- Will the pedestrian safety improve if the bonnet lifts away during a frontal impact?
- If the bonnet lifts up with a frontal collision, will the driver's vision be affected (and hence ability to manoeuvre the car)?
- In case of a fire in the motor bay, could the exploding gas struts cause a hazard?

Do you declare this as a mod to your insurance provider, if so, will it affect the premium or deductible?

Registered
Eniro 4+
Wont make any difference to anything. Plenty of cars have them fitted. You're thinking far too deeply about this.

If you have a fire in the motor/engine bay then 2 small capacity struts (presumably N2/oil filled?) are the absolute least of your problems.

I'll be fitting them to mine without hesitation and I won't be telling the insurance company - an assessor won't even know (or care) if they were standard fitment or not when examing the car after an accident.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts