Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am beginning to suspect that my new Nissan Leaf isn't as new as I was lead to believe but I have no evidence.

My chassis number is 18595 and it was registered on 30th September.

Does anyone have a car with a chassis number at or around this number? If so, when did you take delivery? I suspect my car is older than I was told. This would tie up with the fact that the battery seems down on capacity and that there are what looks like several bird dropping marks on the paint... I don't seem to be able to remove them.

If anyone can spread any light on when you think my car was manufactured I would really appreciate it.

·
Super Moderator
7,610 Posts
Paul there is another thread talking about this, if you call/email Nissan customer services they will tell you the build date of your car - probably better than trying to guess from VIN sequence. Having said that, with over 100k Leafs out there now, I wouldnt expect a "new" car to to be in the 18k range :confused:

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Edd. I shall give them a call.

I am not sure that sequence number is a worldwide number. I suspect it is related to cars built at Sunderland. I shall ask though :)

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
My chassis number is 18595 and it was registered on 30th September.
I assume you have cut out the start of the number.

Mine are SJNFAAZE0U60015XX reg 30-5-14

and SJNFAAZE0U60022XX reg 31-1-14

I have obscured the last 2 digits for security purposes. As you can see there are only 4 meaningful digits and the older reg car seems to 700 odd bigger number than the later reg. Perhaps this helps explain why the battery on the later car is lower in SOH despite the same miles. Your number seems 16000 larger than my larger number.

In Dec 2013 Nissan had sold 3000 Leafs in UK but that would include Japanese built Gen1s.

·
Super Moderator
7,610 Posts
Thanks Edd. I shall give them a call.

I am not sure that sequence number is a worldwide number. I suspect it is related to cars built at Sunderland. I shall ask though :)
Any joy Paul?

·
Registered
640 Posts
I've got an 0117xx which I was told was built at the end of Feb 14.

Re batteries, mine was down (on leaf spy - no idea if it actually was) as it did sit around as a pre reg until August. Stayed down (around 62/63Ah / 269 GIDs) for a couple of months but I've recently been running Rapids to low SOC (5 times to ---% in the last two weeks) and getting temp into the battery (no more than 7 bars - but saw max 39C) and it seems to have "improved" to 66A / 284GID's (not all in one hit). Not sure whether it's just a temperature affect and will end up like the film Awakenings... It could also be because I had an Lithium Battery Controller failure after 5 days, which had to be replaced, and it needed several heavy discharges to calibrate? I did run it to 8Gids and then 100%'d without major changes before it apparently came to life on the Rapids. Unfortunately my OBDC dongle did not arrive before the LBC failure so I'll never know what it was when I collected it.

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@Number64 Thanks. That gives me hope that it might improve over the next few months. We aren't using it much at the moment and when we do it is only down to about 40% then 16A charge back to 80%. That is the pattern at the moment. I may have to do a few long runs and give it a bit of exercise!

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't have date of manufacture but I have shipping date and delivery date... they are 2 months apart so it has sat somewhere, with a full battery probably, for two months over the hottest part of the summer this year.

Not happy :( especially as there are bird dropping marks on the paint that I cannot get off :(

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
LEAF delivered within 5 days of order on 26th August. a UK build.... 00019863.
I think it was from stock, not build to order, Showed two rapid charges on collection, one would have been by dealer. Battery showed 100% etc, on day one.

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I ran the car down to 8 GIDs this afternoon. Current SOH=91% Hx=91.92% AHr=60.05

I am not happy with this figures at all. I shall slow charge to 100% tonight and if it has not improved I shall be taking it back to the dealer to be checked.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Not sure if your 8 GIDs reference is to my post, but maybe I didn't write as clearly as I could have.

When I ran down to 8 GIDs (not deliberately: infrastructure failure) and fully recharged at 6.6kw, I didn't see any major changes to the leafspy figures.

I only found the figures had risen after I called in at 5 Rapids in a day a fortnight ago (280 miles with an 8h break in the middle). After that I noticed the Ah had risen to 65.5 (previously around 62/63), the GID's at 100% had upped from 268/269 to 281, SOH had upped from around 94 to 100 and Hx had upped from around 95 to 100.34. I actually assumed it was the heat into the pack from back to back rapids (didn't take too much interest in temps but I think the biggest number I saw was in the 35's). But it could also just have been that because my LBC was changed 2 months earlier, it needed a good run to recalibrate? Unfortunately I didn't have leafspy pre LBC failure, but I would have thought a very low SOC and 100% 6.6kW charge would have sorted LBC recalibration (if necessary)?

The following weekend (last weekend) I did 230 miles Sat / 230 miles Sunday, 3 rapids each way, back to back, again seeing temperatures up to 7bars on the dash (39C max on leafspy). I noticed the leafspy figures were up again when I checked after charging Monday morning. This morning I checked again and they are down a smidge on Monday but only 0.05%, so not really significant.

Current stats 66.22Ah, SOH100%, Hx101.54%, GIDs 284 at 100%.

No idea if these numbers actually make a physical difference to me yet though. My commute is a doddle twice but I've never managed it three times on a charge. I had a shortest distance route I tried to do in 33% or less a day back in September and failed, so decided "it's just a car" and switched back to the slightly longer ICE route that uses the Motorway and is quicker but uses 35-40%/day (I can afford the extra 7p). Back on the ECO route now to see if I can get to three trips. Probably not....

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@Number64 Thanks. No, my 8 GIDs was just me running it low today... no reference to your 8 GIDs :) If I could have gone a bit lower I would have but was pushed for time.

I would be concerned that I might have to do back to back rapids to get it to report decent numbers. I did over 400 rapid charges on my Mk1, 9 was my most in one day, and the temp was up to the red on one occasion. So with this car I decided to do less rapid charging. In fact, since I took delivery I haven't rapid charged at all.

I will pop it back to the dealer and see what they say anyway I think.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
I wish we didn't have to guess at this sort of stuff. Conflicting anecdotes and even the scientifically controlled studies are vague (the usual "further study, i.e. funding, is required")

Good luck Paul.

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Can't agree more @BlackLeaf . It is all shrouded in mystery. We have no evidence whatsoever that the battery is in top condition when the car is delivered. There should be a capacity test and a certified capacity at delivery. There is nothing of the sort and if you have a duff battery or one that has been left at 100% for ages in the sun (as I believe mine might have been) then you cannot prove it and they have no obligation to do anything about it.

This must change IMO.

1 - 20 of 120 Posts