Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
1,707 Posts
There are at least 10 episodes in the series
  • VW Karmann Ghia
  • Chesil Speedster (Replica of a Porsche 356)
  • Fiat 500 (The original one)
  • Lancia Fulvia
  • Photon Electric Motorcycle (As seen at FCL 2019)
  • Land Rover Defender
  • MG Midget
  • Ferarri 308GTS (Also seen at FCL)
  • BMW 1602
  • Porsche 914

·
Registered
662 Posts
There are at least 10 episodes in the series
  • VW Karmann Ghia
  • Chesil Speedster (Replica of a Porsche 356)
  • Fiat 500 (The original one)
  • Lancia Fulvia
  • Photon Electric Motorcycle (As seen at FCL 2019)
  • Land Rover Defender
  • MG Midget
  • Ferarri 308GTS (Also seen at FCL)
  • BMW 1602
  • Porsche 914
Yep, it's been on the TV for a couple of months now.

I think it's just brand new to the Quest channel, not brand new itself. Can't for the life of me remember what channel it as on before thugh.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Yep, it's been on the TV for a couple of months now.

I think it's just brand new to the Quest channel, not brand new itself. Can't for the life of me remember what channel it as on before thugh.
It's been streaming on "Motor Trend"

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Was it free to air? Is there a thread on this forum?
Motor Trend is not free. It's a paid streaming service like Netflix, but for car fans.
They also have a show called "Hard Cell", which involves Tom Ford trying various "fast" EVs:-
  1. Assorted EV hypercars - Lotus Evija, Pininfarina Batista, Rimac Two
  2. Porsche Taycan
  3. EV racers - Jaguar E-Trophy, Projekt E (EV Rallycross), Trophee Andross (EV ice racing), EV Drag racing,
  4. Off roading, Ultimate E (EV rally series)

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Just watched episode 1. Frankly underwhelmed. 30 grand to convert. What is it with Wales 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 I have a Dragon Astra or should I say the Dragon Astra. The extra torque from the motor has trashed the gearbox. I see no reason why the VW box can handle the torque of the motor.

I saw no rapid charging. There was no mention of heating or did I miss that.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
I see no reason why the VW box can handle the torque of the motor.

I saw no rapid charging. There was no mention of heating or did I miss that.
The VW box is very strong, but the key thing is that the car will only be used for posing on sunny days and not given any real stick. Think of the b*stardised Aston that Harry & Megan used on their wedding day (note this is not a racial slur against the people concerned, but a comment on my opinion of an electric Aston).
Citroën 2CV
The handling would be interesting with the weight of the batteries! Would it still be able to carry a tray of eggs across a ploughed field without breaking any?

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
The VW box is very strong, but the key thing is that the car will only be used for posing on sunny days and not given any real stick. Think of the b*stardised Aston that Harry & Megan used on their wedding day (note this is not a racial slur against the people concerned, but a comment on my opinion of an electric Aston).
I get that this one may be OK but should a company charging 30k provide a product that is potentially unreliable. A type 1 beetle gearbox is used in formula Vee with a max engine power of 85bhp. It would probably be a good idea to block off 1st gear as the amount of torque could do some serious damage. With the Astra I suspect the diff is knackered. The Astra may have been used to tow a trailer.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
A type 1 beetle gearbox is used in formula Vee with a max engine power of 85bhp.
But power and torque are different beasts even if TG could never explain it. :p
The later type 2 boxes are good for huge amounts of torque and it's possible to fit Porsche gearboxes if you have the money.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
But power and torque are different beasts even if TG could never explain it. :p
The later type 2 boxes are good for huge amounts of torque and it's possible to fit Porsche gearboxes if you have the money.
For 30k I would want a Porche gearbox.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
I get that this one may be OK but should a company charging 30k provide a product that is potentially unreliable. A type 1 beetle gearbox is used in formula Vee with a max engine power of 85bhp. It would probably be a good idea to block off 1st gear as the amount of torque could do some serious damage. With the Astra I suspect the diff is knackered. The Astra may have been used to tow a trailer.
The latest episode features the Chesil speedster. They said of course we need an uprated gearbox or it would only last a few miles. Reading between the lines does this mean that the karman ghia box failed in a short time?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Its reasonable enough, but the fake jeopardy, and going over points several times gets a bit tiring. I'd like a bit more techie stuff in it.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts