Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Of course it's simplified. The market for hardcore discussions on the conversion of classic cars to EV is not quite as big as the "this looks interesting, but don't bore the arse off me with details" market.

Plenty of nerdvana on YouTube if you want the in depth stuff.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
1,707 Posts
Of course it's simplified. The market for hardcore discussions on the conversion of classic cars to EV is not quite as big as the "this looks interesting, but don't bore the arse off me with details" market.

Plenty of nerdvana on YouTube if you want the in depth stuff.
Very True. I've been following Zero EV's channel for a little while. Each video is about 60% build & 40% "tech talk", as they put it.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Stumbled across this today. Surprised by the negative responses in this thread.

Anything that promotes EVs on TV to the masses has to be a good thing.

Am I the only one not surprised by a £25/£30k custom built conversion cost?

Firm’s been around a while and doing ok from what I hear, so plenty of uptake from those wanting to preserve their favourite ICE for future use.

As someone who used to make telly programmes, I’d say it’s got the hallmarks of something that’ll improve once the format’s bedded in a bit and the not so good bits identified and fettled. All new shows need a while to gestate.

Any show devised for a commercial channel has to be aiming for mass appeal or it won’t get a second look from commissioners or channels the makers are trying to sell it to.

·
Premium Member
2019 Leaf 40
6,637 Posts
I'd be intrigued to know how you actually maintain a converted classic. Some of the oily bits are the same but I can imagine a lot of garages would run away from going anywhere near one. Some of the boxes have been placed in vulnerable areas on some of them due to space constraints so it does make you wonder how good they will be in 10 year's time.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
27,711 Posts
I'd be intrigued to know how you actually maintain a converted classic. Some of the oily bits are the same but I can imagine a lot of garages would run away from going anywhere near one. Some of the boxes have been placed in vulnerable areas on some of them due to space constraints so it does make you wonder how good they will be in 10 year's time.
Maintenance and repair are the biggest issues.

Even after promises of service and repair offerings from Allied Vehicles and Indra, all such promises fell to nought when it was clear Allied could not deliver any information nor parts. I threw away £several k on broken promises.

Don't buy or make conversions. Forget it. The first fault it has will scrap it.

If you feel a compulsion to do so, make sure whoever is selling/converting you one gives you a 3 year guarantee, or your money back, so at least you get some value out of it. If they won't offer that guarantee, just ask yourself why.

This is not the time yet to 'own' any EV out of warranty, IMHO. Not even a mainstream manufactured one. You are just taking a punt if you do. Maybe it'll pay off for you, but then it'd pay off for most people not to have any house/life/motor insurance, either!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Maintenance and repair are the biggest issues.

Even after promises of service and repair offerings from Allied Vehicles and Indra, all such promises fell to nought when it was clear Allied could not deliver any information nor parts. I threw away £several k on broken promises.

Don't buy or make conversions. Forget it. The first fault it has will scrap it.

If you feel a compulsion to do so, make sure whoever is selling/converting you one gives you a 3 year guarantee, or your money back, so at least you get some value out of it. If they won't offer that guarantee, just ask yourself why.

This is not the time yet to 'own' any EV out of warranty, IMHO. Not even a mainstream manufactured one. You are just taking a punt if you do. Maybe it'll pay off for you, but then it'd pay off for most people not to have any house/life/motor insurance, either!
This is why we lease and chuck them away before the warranty expires. I don’t want to know about repairs until EVs have another probably 10 years under their belt.

That said, I’m tempted by the classic conversion concept as a weekend/trips away car.
Quite like the idea of having my first car future proofed, but with three provisos.

If I ever did this, it would be done by these guys or a firm of similar ilk, I’d have them maintain it as they know the oddities of the running gear, and for the same reasons I’d never buy a previously owned conversion (or any EV out of warranty), I‘d never sell whatever I had done.

The biggest difficulty for me is tracking down a half decent 1979 MK1 Scirocco 1.6 GLS that’s still held together by metal and bolts rather than Plastic Pladding.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,046 Posts
Am I the only one not surprised by a £25/£30k custom built conversion cost?
No. My daughter has a VW type 2 camper that we'd dearly love to electrify. Been shopping around. £18k to £25k is around the starting point and any renovation just takes it higher. It's looking to be cheaper to buy a second hand ENV200 and convert it.

·
Premium Member
3,638 Posts
From the episodes I’ve seen, the conversions are either the low mileage playthings of the wealthy, or corporate adverts with associated write down costs.

Bolting on a load of expensive bits from Tesla’s doesn’t seem particularly skilful to me, but fair play to them for making a go of it.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,046 Posts
Some of the boxes have been placed in vulnerable areas on some of them due to space constraints so it does make you wonder how good they will be in 10 year's time.
I've noticed whilst watching that some of the conversions are quite recent (they've been at this for some time. Met them first at Malvern in 2015) and wonder why they're not using a motor between the axles and leaving out the gearbox? That would leave more room for batteries and make the vehicle lighter.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Verrrrry interesting to see Mr Westfield Sportscars asked them to do a Chesil (replica Porsche Speedster) for them.

Pal of mine has one - Bought it from a firm in the UK and much against my advice, instead of trucking it, drove it all the way to his house in Javea on the Spanish coast. Needed a soft cushion under him for a week afterwards.

Think I might have found them another customer. The drivetrain’s possibly the worst bit about it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The biggest difficulty for me is tracking down a half decent 1979 MK1 Scirocco 1.6 GLS that’s still held together by metal and bolts rather than Plastic Pladding.
I almost bought a blue 1979 Scirocco GLS in 1983, but I let my heart rule my head and got a red AlfaSud Sprint Veloce instead. Lovely car. I did see a 1980 Scirocco GLi a couple of years back at a local classic car dealer...but it was £16k and light metallic green.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I almost bought a blue 1979 Scirocco GLS in 1983, but I let my heart rule my head and got a red AlfaSud Sprint Veloce instead. Lovely car. I did see a 1980 Scirocco GLi a couple of years back at a local classic car dealer...but it was £16k and light metallic green.
Think I saw that green one too.
Saw my actual brown car completely restored made about £9k on eBay a couple of years ago. Nice to see it looking better than when I had it!
Paid £450 for it 1990 🙄

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
I agree with most of what has been said on this thread. I think it would be preferable to use a complete system from a mass produced car so that it can be repaired in the future hopefully.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
I've noticed whilst watching that some of the conversions are quite recent (they've been at this for some time. Met them first at Malvern in 2015) and wonder why they're not using a motor between the axles and leaving out the gearbox? That would leave more room for batteries and make the vehicle lighter.
Simples. It avoids having to work out the correct gear ratios in advance. :eek: :p :devilish:

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
27,711 Posts
It is a very very special motor that can deliver enough torque at zero speed, and still spin fast enough for motorway speed.

These are essentially confined to the preserve of axial flux motors, like Yasa and EVO (now bought out by Avid).

You still need a gearbox to match any other electric motor to road wheels, and why would you make a new one when you're adapting a car with one already?

You can take a ride in my Zoe if you like, which has a noisy way of reminding its occupants there are still gears in EVs.

EVs have gears.
EVs have gears.
EVs have gears.
EVs have gears.
EVs have gears.
EVs have gears.
EVs have gears.
EVs have gears.
EVs have gears.

Not sure how many times we repeat this here.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts