Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I wanted to start a post to introduce/answer questions about upcoming Viridian EV products.
Happy to also discuss any projects you're working on that we can help with

David

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi David,

Am looking for a home charger at the moment, and Viridian products look solidly built and have an excellent reputation. Was wondering if you will be introducing a replacement for the vClassic soon? I like the form factor (not much width in the place I want to put the charger) but would probably prefer something a bit smarter, to get the £350 grant if for no other reason.

Kind regards

- Garry

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi David,

Am looking for a home charger at the moment, and Viridian products look solidly built and have an excellent reputation. Was wondering if you will be introducing a replacement for the vClassic soon? I like the form factor (not much width in the place I want to put the charger) but would probably prefer something a bit smarter, to get the £350 grant if for no other reason.

Kind regards

- Garry
Hi Garry,

Thanks for your question. We actually have a new charge point launching soon (aiming for pre orders to start delivering to some of our wholesalers in August). It won't be eligible for the grant, however our reasoning for this is below:
1. Most cars are smarter than any smart put into a charge point
2. Adding components increases the total cost of the unit
3. The grant is changing in March and cost will become much more important when that happens.

With that in mind we have designed a charge point that is easy to install and build, while also including key safety features:
1. Built in 6mA DC - means that a more expensive Type B RCD isn't required.
2. Built in Pen loss protection - No earth rod or separate hardware required.
3. Key Lock - To stop unauthorised charging

The price point for this charge point is very competitive and should allow our charge point to be installed at a similar or better price than using the grant in its current form.
I've attached some photos and can send more information shortly
David

Attachments

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Great to see this new product. I'm not at all convinced that smart charge points make a lot of sense for many people, so seeing a cost-effective alternative, that's well-built and from a trusted manufacturer has to be a good thing.

My reasoning for not particularly liking smart charge points revolves around things like reliability and long term support. This forum has plenty of threads about people struggling to get smart charge points to connect, bugs in the apps, problems getting support from manufacturers/installers, etc. Additionally, as all these smart charge points are reliant on a third party maintaining a remote back end system for the live of the product, and updating apps as the operating systems on devices change, there seems to be a very real risk that some smart charge points will just lose all their added functionality long before the components in them start to fail. It's a sort of planned obsolescence of the worst sort, given that part of the reason for switching to EVs is to reduce waste and pollution.

I look forward to seeing more details, but wonder if you can answer one question? If this unit is based on DIN rail mounted modules (your EPC 2.0 etc) then is there space in the enclosure to fit a DIN rail mount time switch?

The reason I ask is that I've done this with both our charge points, one of which (connected to a TT supply down the other end of our drive) uses your earlier EPC, with a single mod time switch alongside it to provide an option for timed charging (we a re on E7). Being able to add this is something I'd find useful. For interest, this is the charge point that uses your older EPC module:

I have another charge point at the other end of the drive that also has a DIN rail time switch, and because that's too close to the incoming service cable and it's buried intermediate earth electrode, I used your EPC 2.0 module, together with the earth leakage module for DC tolerant earth leakage sensing. Both charge points work flawlessly, and have the advantage of being fairly compact.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Jeremy,

Thank you for your kind words. I have PM'd you a board layout of our upcoming classic 2.0

David

·
Registered
93 Posts
Sounds like an interesting option.

My ideal charger would be smart enough to qualify for the gov grant, but have a button on the unit that activated simple charging immediately, regardless of what smart settings were programmed. That would offer the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
Hi Jeremy,

Thank you for your kind words. I have PM'd you a board layout of our upcoming classic 2.0

David
Hopefully Viridian have not abandoned their concept of modular components DIN rail mounted.
However even if its an integrated board, one would hope that Viridian being a British manufacturer will provide aftermarket out of warranty support.

·
Registered
Leaf 30kWh, HS PHEV
2,786 Posts
At present at have a Rolec. At some point I need a dual socket charger. Anything you have that I can use to create one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hopefully Viridian have not abandoned their concept of modular components DIN rail mounted.
However even if its an integrated board, one would hope that Viridian being a British manufacturer will provide aftermarket out of warranty support.
Hi Freddy,

We have not abandoned the modular DIN components at all. The Classic 2.0 was designed to be simple to build and install which is why for this specific product we have adopted an open frame design. This allows us to scale up production while still maintaining the really competitive price point.

We are launching some new versions of our EPC modules shortly, with Modbus integration and other useful features built in.

David

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
At present at have a Rolec. At some point I need a dual socket charger. Anything you have that I can use to create one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi Hermet,

Thank you for your comment.
We have components that would allow you to build a charge point that has 2 outlets.
Enclosures would be the most difficult part to source as this isn't something that we have a solution for currently.

Essentially you would need the below:
2x EPC's + RCM Kit - EVSE Protocol Controller (EPC) 2.0 Basic
2x Contactors - CHINT 40A 230V Modular Contactor - (2 & 4 Pole Variants Available)
2x Sockets - Type 2 32A Female Socket (Solenoid Locking) (1 and 3 Phase Variants)

Hope this is useful

David

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
One solution for a robust enclosure with enough space to take several DIN rail components may be to buy a standard die-cast IP65/66 enclosure, and then fit one of these sealed and hinged windows in the front to access the EPC modules (really to see the status lights) and thing that may need adjusting from time to time (like time switches).

The overall size of the enclosure can be reduced by using two sets of DIN rails, with a lower one below the window for the contactors and terminations that rarely need access or visibility. I like the idea of using a tough metal enclosure outdoors, not least because it offers both a high degree of mechanical protection and is less likely to be degraded by sunlight, something that often seems to damage plastic enclosures outside.

·
Registered
476 Posts
What does 'smart' mean in relation to chargepoints?

I don't think it is related to having an app, just communication with somebody (who).

·
Registered
93 Posts
Looks good, @Viridian EV . A couple of questions:

1. When does it go on sale?
2. Is there going to be an untethered version? (It's a nicely compact unit but then there is a large cable permanently attached to it. Most of the other small ones, including your own vClassic, have at least the option of untethered.)

Kind regards
- Garry

·
Registered
93 Posts

I don't think it is related to having an app, just communication with somebody (who).
In the UK at the moment, it means 'smart enough to qualify for the government £350 grant' ;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Hi Ian,
In the UK "smart" normally means connected the internet and can be communicated with via a Phone app. We have opted to keep the hardware simple as the majority of cars can schedule via built in apps, so no need for duplication of technology.

We have "offline smarts" built in, things like:
  • Pen loss (single phase, UK only)
  • Simple load sharing
  • Supply optimisation

These are all set up and forget about. Once its set up no software updates, ongoing costs ect.

Kind Regards
David

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Looks good, @Viridian EV . A couple of questions:

1. When does it go on sale?
2. Is there going to be an untethered version? (It's a nicely compact unit but then there is a large cable permanently attached to it. Most of the other small ones, including your own vClassic, have at least the option of untethered.)

Kind regards
- Garry
1.We are taking pre orders right now. aiming to start deliveries in mid August.
2. Currently no socket option, due to the design of the enclosure.

Hope this helps
David

·
Registered
375 Posts
Do you have, or plan to have a controller that can deal with Solar PV variable charging. I would love to be able to upgrade my Rolec. I would not be interested in any other smart features.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
1.We are taking pre orders right now. aiming to start deliveries in mid August.
2. Currently no socket option, due to the design of the enclosure.

Hope this helps
David
How about an option for a wall-mounted socket, seperate from the enclosure, the latter being mounted indoors or out of the way. I'm sure some people want their charge point to look as minimal as possible, but all the existing "small" ones ( e.g. EO mini) are still a fairly big lump.
A flush-mounted Type 2 socket with a flap cover would be much more discreet when not in use.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Do you have, or plan to have a controller that can deal with Solar PV variable charging. I would love to be able to upgrade my Rolec. I would not be interested in any other smart features.
Hi
Yes, coming soon - 1-2 months

1 - 20 of 22 Posts