Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks, fresh from VW refusing my Golf GTE order, I have now started my research on the Passat! Currently spec-ing options, and I'm confused (as always with VW) by some of them, notably the 'Vision & Communications Pack'. It is described on the Configurator as:

Includes: Advanced Telephone Connection
Includes: LED Premium Headlights with LED Daytime Running Lights and dynamic cornering light
Includes: Rear view camera
Cost = £1375

But these 3 options only cost £1215 if you add them separately...am I missing something?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I can't find the same numbers you've described! V & C pack is £875 on the price list I looked at! The individual costs are £185, £515 and £325 - so total £1025 I think. If you go for the Advance model the headlights are included, telephone has voice activation and the rear camera is part of the area view system. Yes its about £3K more but you do get full leather, active info dash, bigger screen/better info system and hard drive and the pano roof as well. I would not be tempted to add many expensive options to a Passat - you won't recover your investment when you sell on.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Download the catalogue. The configurator is very confusing.

I went for the Advanced version as it comes with all the toys as standard, except black headlining which it really needs with black leather

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I'd love to go for the Advance alas not possible as this is a company car and it takes me over the £40k mark. I can't believe VW have priced it just over £40k as that's when the luxury car tax kicks in. I'll have a look at the catalogue, and yes the configurator is confusing!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks guys. I'd love to go for the Advance alas not possible as this is a company car and it takes me over the £40k mark. I can't believe VW have priced it just over £40k as that's when the luxury car tax kicks in. I'll have a look at the catalogue, and yes the configurator is confusing!
After VW's 20th December price increase you have much less headroom for extras on the non advance model to stay under £40K - on the estate adding metallic paint leaves about £375 headroom!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Glad I got my order in before then! At least i got a couple of nice extras under the $40k threshold. AID was a must

·
Registered
351 Posts
One thing to be aware of is that the luxury tax is based on the list price the day before the car is registered. So even if your order was under £40k when you placed your order, if that spec is now over £40k and it hasn't been registered yet, it will attract the luxury tax when it is registered. Even dealers don't understand this point - two advised me incorrectly and then later had to correct themselves. And as has already been said, it's the list price including options that counts, even if your discount means you're paying well under £40k.

The most specific information I have found on the topic is here:
http://dvla.dft.gov.uk/ved/ved-reform-briefing2.pdf

·
Registered
44 Posts
Interesting. My limit was based on the lease price where the 40k threshold took me over my allowance, because of the "luxury" tax! As a company car the only impact this may have to me is P11D, which would be minor (in the scheme of things).

Now if it was private, i would be having words.......

·
Registered
31 Posts
Interesting. My limit was based on the lease price where the 40k threshold took me over my allowance, because of the "luxury" tax! As a company car the only impact this may have to me is P11D, which would be minor (in the scheme of things).

Now if it was private, i would be having words.......
The private buyer takes the direct tax hit - the company car driver's increased PllD charge is the same process as before April 2017 based on list price. That seems fair!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts