Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone, Ive been here a fair few years now and class myself as an enthusiast, evangelist and owner in the UK since 2013 (Renault Zoe 100% electric). Loving Tesla and what they have done for making electric vehicles cool and mainstream. I want to convert friends and family by answering EV ownership questions.

Looking to order a Model 3 and perhaps could be persuaded into owning a Model S at the right price. I've just started a Youtube channel in anticipation of vlogging my Model 3 journey and current EV ownership. If you enjoy the content I'd love fellow forum members support by subscribing, liking and feeding back on my content.

Follow me on YouTube, Facebook and Twitter. you will find informative, interesting and fun content about electric vehicles. Enjoy!

·
Electric Leaf Man
1,898 Posts
Its all a persona! I'm not always angry.

Just when driving!

Usually.

Most of the time.

·
Now enjoying my new Kia SOUL EV
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Electric (38.3 kWh) Premium SE in Iron Grey with Shale Grey Interior option
1,325 Posts
Its all a persona! I'm not always angry.

Just when driving!

Usually.

Most of the time.
I did like the warning at the start with the twins. Paid attention to that one!!

D

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
The 'U.K. bad drivers exposed' channel is a must see. Even if it is 'car crash viewing'.....literally!

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
@Appmacguy I've just become your 50th subscriber. There must be a prize for that....surely :)

Reactions: Appmacguy

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
There's another Loughborough Leaf driver that comes up for our occasional meets. As well as a number of Tesla owners. They're as common as muck ;)

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
There's another Loughborough Leaf driver that comes up for our occasional meets.
Should I correct this now that @bryand has joined the Dark Side? I'm sure you'd all still be welcome to come along to a #NottsTeslaClub meet up :p
Seriously though I don't think anything has been arranged recently, last Tuesday of the month was yesterday but I was in Snowdonia, so perhaps we should fix something for another gathering, in a few weeks.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
By the dark side, do you mean Tesla? Surely not gone back to an ICE :eek:

·
Conflicted Ecoworrier/Petrolhead
3,225 Posts
Should I correct this now that @bryand has joined the Dark Side? I'm sure you'd all still be welcome to come along to a #NottsTeslaClub meet up :p
Seriously though I don't think anything has been arranged recently, last Tuesday of the month was yesterday but I was in Snowdonia, so perhaps we should fix something for another gathering, in a few weeks.
Doh... well if you do decide to arrange one for yesterday I could have made it as it's half term so no college for Mrs. I'm banning her from doing any more courses next year as it's my turn. Getting it back on thread...I want to study video production.

Having just splashed out on a load of new gear thinking becuase I'm good at photography I'd be good at Video! Ooops. Anyone who has tried it will realise quickly you either need low editorial standards, or a heap of stuff you didn't know you needed. Like off board sound recorders and radio mikes, fast manual focus lenses, lots of clips and connectors and adaptors and batteries and stuff to stick it all on to carry around or in. I've finally made the move away from Canon SLRs and gone with a Panasonic GH4... staggering piece of kit, which can shoot 4k and can still attach canon glass via a metabones speed booster (which I haven't bought yet as 4/3 lenses are tiny and light in comprison to my old Canon monsters). Got a couple of Canon G7x to shoot vlogs on and use as B cam / timelapse in the background when shooting with the GH4. PS is on offer at the mo, at WEX... £699 after Panasonic web based rebate and include about £200 of accessories [ edit to add Case, extra battery and 128GB U3 class SD card]. Think the GH5 is due to be announced... but you don't need it. The GH4 is going to keep you busy for years! If you've got £2000 to spend I'd go with a Sony A7S Mkii for low light, but the GH4 is much easier to use (and even then it's not easy). IF you want to shoot amazing videos, get a GH4, 12-35 f2.8 (24-70 equiv FOV) and a Rode Video Mic. Not cheap at about £1,500 but hard to beat at the moment.

The biggest learning curve for me has been Final Cut Pro, OMG. Shot an hours footage of Mrs who wants to do beauty blogging, using a pair of Canon G7x cameras and it took me a whole day to work out how to get the two camera's to sync up. FCP is suposed to do it automatically, but it decided to use the clocks on the cameras instead of the audio. Queue me getting ready to bite a chunk out of my mac for making it so hard. After numerous attempts at using audio I finally found the best method is to use "the blink of an eye". Only 1 frame is where the lid is fully closed. ;-) Then colour balancing... which now I know is easy, but I was looking at the video scopes going WTF? Why no dropper tool to "remove colour cast" like photo shop has. I wasn't helped by the fact the Canons kept stopping recording after 15 minutes as they'd hit the 4GB filesize limit! Ouch. Loaded the lot into FCP and tried to edit some cut scenes and it told me my brand new 500GB SSD had run out of space. LOL. Yep... it ain't easy.

I was going to do video blogging on EVs but looked at Robert Lylyewylelllyyns series and though what the point! However I may get around to it at some point once I finish editing up a mates marathon 26 hours detailing session on another mates XKR. ;) And he still didn't get around to do the exhaust pipes! I reckon a rule of thumb is 1 hour of video takes about 1 working day to get together - for a simple shoot!

The key difference between still and video is that (rather obviously) of how to include movement. When shooting some rail shots along the side of a car I found out some motions just dont work. E.g. you have to slide from the front of the car to the back. For some reason, doing it the other way makes your brain reject the motion as valid.

@Appmacguy I'll subscribe when I'm at home later... we are banned from youtube at work. Lucky really as I get to waste time writing excessively long posts on SpeakEV instead ;-) [It is lunch time].

Reactions: Appmacguy

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@EVPotential thats sure a hefty post but good to read. I'm currently using an iPhone 6 (128gb) and a Sony NEX5r with Zeiss lense. I'm looking for a window/dash mount for filming as the one I have jumps around like a jack-in-the-box.

Be good to know what you think as I've just started due to the encouragement of a friend so I look forward to your subscribe on YouTube! I have another video going live this evening.

·
Conflicted Ecoworrier/Petrolhead
3,225 Posts
Have you tried a Fat Gecko? I bought one from WEX to try out. It's solid, but it behaves a bit weird with the G7x - as the image stabiliser knocks out the bumps but then on screen the car is moving around, while the horizon of the road behind isn't. Makes the motion look really unnatural. Next time I try I'll be making sure you can't see out of the back window! Haven't felt ready to try it on the body outside yet - which its designed to do! I think I'd want to have a rope around the camera just in case! They do single up to quadruple suckers, so have bought a single just for internal car use.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts