Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A short tale of my experience in trying to buy a new VW e-up. Over the last few months here are some of the comments I’ve had from visiting 5 VW dealers to discuss an E-up.

- There is a 1 year waiting list
- There is a 3 month waiting list
- The charging cable is Chademo (when it isn’t)
- We’re not a VW electric vehicle dealer (when the VW website shows they are)
- Have you considered the Renault Zoe?
- You’ll need to contact VW head office directly as only they have the answers
- VW’s finance system doesn’t list an E-up so we can’t provide a finance quote
- VW doesn’t train us on electric vehicles

I’ve also phoned 3 dealers to discuss buying a new e-up. Calls are never returned. I’ve read on a few forums that VW isn’t interested in selling EVs. I couldn’t agree more! From my experience the VW dealers have no interest. The sales teams are oblivious to EVs and at a UK level they seem to think it's 'business as usual' with diesel !! It's a real shame as the E-up is a great looking small EV. (Rant over....)

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
VW (like all car makers apart from Tesla) do not control their dealers; the dealers can decide to sell whatever models they like. Given that dealers make more money from servicing then from sales….

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Why do you want to buy an e-Up?

Just curious if it's brand loyalty, or the very small size (I believe they're smaller even than say a Zoe), or something else? I honestly have no idea if they're any good - never met anyone who has one!

·
9,719 Posts
the dealers can decide to sell whatever models they like.
Not strictly true they are incentivised to meet targets. VW did not compensate the dealer network for the dieselgate sales drop and maintained the same targets, they therefore quite sensible want to sell more units that get them close to recouping the losses. The GTEs and EV lines have no incentives last time I spoke to somebody who knew about these things.

BMW don't have trouble selling i3's so it's not a dealer network thing...

For the record I have been waiting for nearly 4yrs for a call back from VW, so they never really wanted to sell them.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ive just bought a second hand E-up and i'm loving every minute of it. Some of the comments seem strange to me.

Considering the price, size and range I'm not sure why anyone would go for one?

Yes its expensive for what it is, if you only need a small car its fine, if you need a bigger car get a bigger one!!!!
Range is fine for the size of car. Its got lots of standard equipment which make it a nice car.

I have yet to experience VW customer / dealer service so by the sounds of it not something to look forward to!!!

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
The cars good by all accounts, I had an ion which many look down on so dont take it to heart. As for dealer service we all hope for the best with evs. The fact you encountered so many poor dealers would be my concern. Its probably worth phoning a few around you and seeing what their reaction is to servicing it. Some dealers are pretty good while many are not (for all brands) The dealer I bought our Soul EV from wasnt good but my local one is excellant with EVs.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I don't have any evidence to support this but I suspect that VW make a loss on their EVs and so want to sell just enough to get the experience needed for their dedicated EV platform coming in a few years, and also to repair their brand after the emissions debacle. If they're losing money on them there's no point pushing to sell loads.

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
I don't have any evidence to support this but I suspect that VW make a loss on their EVs and so want to sell just enough to get the experience needed for their dedicated EV platform coming in a few years, and also to repair their brand after the emissions debacle. If they're losing money on them there's no point pushing to sell loads.
Is anyone making a profit on their EVs?

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
25,290 Posts
A short tale of my experience in trying to buy a new VW e-up.
... I started laughing at this point, and didn't need to read the rest.

I presume you have read my posts on this too. I also gave up at 5 dealers. I guess it suggests this is about as much torment as a human being can tolerate.

It's a lovely little EV that appears to be made by EV cynics and sold by EV haters.

I bought my Ampera from a non-Vauxhall dealer and was delighted by their service. I guess this is the secret; avoid buying an EV from a brand dealer if you can, then they aren't there to poison your interest in the car.

·
Registered
14,307 Posts
When I bought my Leaf from Nissan Bury, all the salesmen I met were driving a Leaf for work and they all loved it!!
Obviously they all knew the car very well.
It was their love and enthusiasm for the Leaf that removed any doubt I had.
I am assured that the new Leaf is on its way but won't be 'discussed' until the launch,
at the end of this year.

·
Registered
305 Posts
When I bought my Leaf from Nissan Bury, all the salesmen I met were driving a Leaf for work and they all loved it!!
Obviously they all knew the car very well.
It was their love and enthusiasm for the Leaf that removed any doubt I had.
I am assured that the new Leaf is on its way but won't be 'discussed' until the launch,
at the end of this year.
Same here, our Almera was 13 years old and uneconomical to repair. We went in, took out a secondhand Juke for a drive and bought it. We got talking about the Leaf and he said when you have 3 or 4 days free, let me know and you can have it on demo. We did this in the June/July and were smitten. We spreadsheeted our fuel costs for the next few months and in the October they contacted us with an ex demo Leaf for sale. We paid something like £16k for a Leaf Tekna on a PCP which was the same cost as our monthly petrol bill on my X Trail. They were all familiar with Leafs, lots of them had them as company cars and in and around town there are tons of them now so quite clearly they are selling well in relative terms.

Ali

·
Electric Leaf Man
1,898 Posts
I've asked every EV manufacturer for just a few hours test drive and the only other company willing was Mitsubishi for the PHEV. They wanted £80 for me to take it away for a couple of days and I'd get that back if I bought one.

Told them to stick it! Obviously confident in their product.

·
Ecohound
1,294 Posts
I am sure BEV and PHEV sales would be a lot higher if VW actually wanted to sell them. As by all accounts they are good car's, they certainly sell well in Norway but a committed government helps. Lets see what Wednesday budget brings but don't hold your breath especially in central London. :coffee:

1 - 20 of 83 Posts