Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings from EU,

im in process of buying a used car and becouse i regually do 8km per day gasoline and diesel cars are out and i live in house so home charging is not an issue.
I test driven a 2017 eGolf and i liked the way it drives but sadly they are very rare on used car market so as alternative im looking at Golf GTE 2015-2016. And im aware that with GTE i will need to service ICE engine as well plus regualy carry ICE+DSG+gasoline as dead weight
So my question is witch one is better eGolf or GTE considering both can handle 99% of my trips on electricity?

·
Registered
709 Posts
Autotrader alone shows 75 e-golf. My question is why would anybody buy a GTE it will cost twice as much to run maybe.

·
EVEZY code -£50 off: d409e
1,849 Posts
I'd prefer to do more of my driving on electric, my GTE struggles to do more than 22miles.

I had an e-golf for a 48hr test drive. You can definitely notice the gears shifting in the GTE after driving the e-golf which is very, very smooth.

I'd be more confident owning an e-golf out of warranty than the GTE.

Servicing the GTE will get more expensive year on year. Hoping to sell mine before it gets to 4yr old..

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
1,952 Posts
I'm another GTE owner. Although mine has been faultless for 3 years, I still consider it a serious reliability risk. It's just so complicated. I will be buying an extended warranty next month when the basic one runs out.

First of all I cannot believe that you virtually never go outside a ten mile radius of your home. Maybe you have another car for long journeys or prefer the train.

My use is 90 percent local trips and 10 percent 200 mile ones. So it turns out that 50 percent of my mileage is in the long journeys. I avoid charging en route completely.

Then there's the fun factor. Test drive a GTE and try out GTE mode. It's impressive.

So to answer your question. Head says e Golf heart says GTE (for the moment).

I'm waiting for the full ID 3 range to become available then I'll rethink based on the charging infrastructure.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm another GTE owner. Although mine has been faultless for 3 years, I still consider it a serious reliability risk. It's just so complicated. I will be buying an extended warranty next month when the basic one runs out.

First of all I cannot believe that you virtually never go outside a ten mile radius of your home. Maybe you have another car for long journeys or prefer the train.

My use is 90 percent local trips and 10 percent 200 mile ones. So it turns out that 50 percent of my mileage is in the long journeys. I avoid charging en route completely.

Then there's the fun factor. Test drive a GTE and try out GTE mode. It's impressive.

So to answer your question. Head says e Golf heart says GTE (for the moment).

I'm waiting for the full ID 3 range to become available then I'll rethink based on the charging infrastructure.
I rarely have 10miles+ trips meybe 5 such trips per year and thats becouse most things(Job,friends,shops,...) are within that 10mile radius so GTE would be filled 2-4 times per week while eGolf once per month on average.

Can you explain why are you considering GTE complicated build a serious reliability risk considering Toyota proved that complicated hybrids can be reliable and yes i understand VW is not Toyota?

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
1,952 Posts
I rarely have 10miles+ trips meybe 5 such trips per year and thats becouse most things(Job,friends,shops,...) are within that 10mile radius so GTE would be filled 2-4 times per week while eGolf once per month on average.

Can you explain why are you considering GTE complicated build a serious reliability risk considering Toyota proved that complicated hybrids can be reliable and yes i understand VW is not Toyota?
Anything with this many systems and clever interconnections just has much more to go wrong than a fully electric drive train which really couldn't be simpler.

Clearly if everything is beautifully designed and beautifully made it will work perfectly at first (which is a lot to ask anyway) but everything wears with use. There are more wearing parts in the GTE than in an e Golf by orders of magnitude.

As a professional engineer, I know better than to expect anything in any machine to be perfect or everlasting, no matter what your consumer rights say

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
Biggest problem with GTEs in say 2-3 years will be the dealers. They will see you coming and figure out how to lighten your wallet one method or another.😜

·
Registered
147 Posts
Had a GTE on lease for 2 years, now have eGolf.

Agree on complexity, the GTE seems stuffed to the brim and even in electric mode is going through the DSG gearbox. Needs regular expensive servicing and all the ICE bits to go wrong. There’s a world of difference between how Toyota do hybrids and the GTE.

The eGolf is half empty under the bonnet, has a bigger boot, and is noticeably quicker than the GTE in e-mode. I do miss the seats and sportier styling of the GTE though, and it is sometimes convenient to just do a long trip without charging.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
only issue i have is that eGolfs with 36kw battery are hard too find while GTEs are more numerus.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've considered this dilemma before. I own a Passat GTE and am looking for Golf as a smaller car for less loaded journeys to replace a Fiesta. I initially started looking at egolf but struggled to find a well speced one. Very few have vienna leather, keyless, heat pump and reversing camera all of which are essential (you can't get any with a sunroof!) otherwise in a few years you will be sitting in a cheap feeling (probably stained) cold velour seat at the side of the road on a cold winters night 20 miles from home with no power wondering where the keys are and wising you had bought the GTE. Apart from having the option of decent sports seats (leather heated), lane keeping, dynamic lights and a sunroof the GTE doesn't come with RANGE ANXIETY! And the VW warranty on them is cheap so if anything does go wrong (unlikely) its going to cost nothing to fix assuming you pay the £200 a year to renew. I think the GTE beats the egolf in so many ways unless you live in a city, but does anyone who lives in a city actually need a car of any type? That said, if my daily travel requirements were 8km I'd be considering a bike not a Golf or an ebike but not an eGolf.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
Greetings from EU,

im in process of buying a used car and becouse i regually do 8km per day gasoline and diesel cars are out and i live in house so home charging is not an issue.
I test driven a 2017 eGolf and i liked the way it drives but sadly they are very rare on used car market so as alternative im looking at Golf GTE 2015-2016. And im aware that with GTE i will need to service ICE engine as well plus regualy carry ICE+DSG+gasoline as dead weight
So my question is witch one is better eGolf or GTE considering both can handle 99% of my trips on electricity?
There are other BEVs on the market besides those made by a lying cheating German based manufacturer.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There are other BEVs on the market besides those made by a lying cheating German based manufacturer.
Not for that price, becouse at price eGolfs are selling in my country its low so its impossible too find BEV that can match eGolfs capabilities at its price only if im lucky Hyundai Ioniq 28kw could but they are even more rare than eGolfs

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
Not for that price, becouse at price eGolfs are selling in my country its low so its impossible too find BEV that can match eGolfs capabilities at its price only if im lucky Hyundai Ioniq 28kw could but they are even more rare than eGolfs
I guess given your stated low usage of 8km per day, pretty much ANY used BEV would be ideal. No idea why anyone would even consider a complex and expensive to own hybrid.

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
456 Posts
A lot of eGolfs coming through will be ex-lease and I've seen some stupendous cheap lease costs for them so I guess that means a lot of low spec cars... but yeah I'd go eGolf every day given the choice between those two. The eGolf is very sharp off the line though performance drops off at higher speeds. Charging is "fast enough", and you get to not have to deal with the appalling fuel economy of any of the GTE models when not running in E mode.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
1,952 Posts
A lot of eGolfs coming through will be ex-lease and I've seen some stupendous cheap lease costs for them so I guess that means a lot of low spec cars... but yeah I'd go eGolf every day given the choice between those two. The eGolf is very sharp off the line though performance drops off at higher speeds. Charging is "fast enough", and you get to not have to deal with the appalling fuel economy of any of the GTE models when not running in E mode.
Depends on what appalls you. Our Golf GTE does 45-48 mpg running in hybrid mode on motorways with no initial charge in the battery. That's normal driving up to the speed limits, none of your hypermiling nonsense.

Since 90% of trips and 50% of mileage are on electric, lifetime mpg is 90.

Suits me fine.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts