Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Golf GTE

The upcoming VW Golf GTE plug-in hybrid has been revealed in these images leaked ahead of the vehicle’s official debut at the 2014 Geneva Motor Show.

Fittingly, the sporty PHEV Golf has been given a name that follows in VW’s tradition of GT + some other letter.

GTE, which stands for GT Electric, features a 148 hp 1.4-liter four-cylinder engine and a 107 hp electric motor.

Golf GTE

Here’s a look at the specs:

• 0 to 60 mph: 7.6 seconds
  • Electric-only range: 31 miles (NEDC)
  • 8.8 kWh lithium-ion battery
  • Top speed in electric mode: 81 mph
  • Top speed: 135 mph
  • Total range: 600 miles
  • Recharging time of 2 hours 240-volt 16-amp

GTE

As we previously mentioned:

Now that we know that the GTE is being compared to the GTI, we perhaps can zone in on price. The VW GTI starts at a reasonable $25,000 in the US. A loaded GTI just barely cracks past $30,000. We suspect that VW will price the GTE above the GTI, but by how much?

While VW has release no further details on price, we get the sense that the GTE will be more expensive than a Nissan LEAF, but significantly cheaper than a BMW i3. We figure $35,000-ish US sounds fairly accurate.

GTE

The Golf GTE will make its way to the US in either late 2014 or early 2015.

Look for us to bring you more details from the GTE’s live reveal in Geneva in March.

GTE

Source: Autocar

Reactions: Paul

·
Super Moderator
5,905 Posts
I didn't go for the Audi as I felt the range was to short for me, in winter you would be lucky to get 20 miles. Also I don't like the idea of the ICE/EV/gearbox in line principle. One of the things I find most enjoyable about driving an EV is the linear way they excelerate, that will be lost with a normal transmission.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That will be my next lease car. Can't wait :)
Really - I agree 31 miles is a bit lean to justify hauling round a full ICE engine. If it's a company car that could also be frightening on the car tax.

Think I'd rather go baseline BMW i3 REX at £34k that doesn't use engine for propulsion.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I am assuming as it's using the petrol engine for Propulsion the Co2 figure will be higher and hence the Company Car Tax will be higher (sorry I missed a word off my previous post)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts