Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
More on the 2nd generation Volt from CNN here http://money.cnn.com/2014/10/28/autos/volt-second-generation/index.html?iid=HP_LN I guess we still dont know what europe will be getting though..

"It would have been simple for us to tweak our existing battery to provide nominally increased range, but that's not what our customers want," said Nitz. "So our team created a new battery system that will exceed the performance expectations of most of our owners."
in the new car the two motors will operate together more of the time for improved performance. The new Volt will accelerate roughly 20% better, GM said.

·
Now enjoying my new Kia SOUL EV
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Electric (38.3 kWh) Premium SE in Iron Grey with Shale Grey Interior option
1,204 Posts
The revised Voltec Drive system

Derek

·
Banned
1,336 Posts
I doubt this will remain out of Europe forever. Still it's six years until the wife's Volt is paid off and she is at least starting to look to change. 3 years until I drop my ICE for a second hand BMW i3 Rex. By the time these dates are met something even better may be out from say Honda. The wife is all to willing to also have an i3 Rex in six years if a new gen Volt is not available, we only need 4 seats!

M

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
I am sad the Volt 2 won't be making it to UK. Also hearing that lifetime warranty won't be offered in 2015 and some risk no more of the current Ampera will be imported...

Due to all this, done deal to trade in my 2012 launch Ampera for a late 2013 model. Never liked the red door panel graphics (not shown in the launch brochure) so ceramic white this time :) Pleased with cost to change and will keep it until 2018/9. Hopefully more REX or BEV choices by then!

Reactions: Lee Dalton

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I am sad the Volt 2 won't be making it to UK. Also hearing that lifetime warranty won't be offered in 2015 and some risk no more of the current Ampera will be imported...

Due to all this, done deal to trade in my 2012 launch Ampera for a late 2013 model. Never liked the red door panel graphics (not shown in the launch brochure) so ceramic white this time :) Pleased with cost to change and will keep it until 2018/9. Hopefully more REX or BEV choices by then!
Sounds like a good deal !

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I doubt this will remain out of Europe forever. Still it's six years until the wife's Volt is paid off and she is at least starting to look to change. 3 years until I drop my ICE for a second hand BMW i3 Rex. By the time these dates are met something even better may be out from say Honda. The wife is all to willing to also have an i3 Rex in six years if a new gen Volt is not available, we only need 4 seats!

M
We also only need 4 seats, which is good, as our ICE only has 4 seats too :)

It would be nice if in 6 years time there is a newer (gen 3?) ampera/volt, as it seems to be a really well balanced vehicle for a user like me ! :)

·
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Electric (38.3 kWh) Premium SE in Iron Grey with Shale Grey Interior option
1,204 Posts
My hope is that the will offer it as a Chevrolet. Whilst they plan to stop selling most Chevrolet models in Europe they are still planning to sell the Camaro. Why then can they not also offer the Volt, albeit in what might remain limited numbers?

The only possible "fly in the ointment" for that plan is the cost of converting to RHD?

Derek

·
Super Moderator
5,878 Posts
My hope is that the will offer it as a Chevrolet. Whilst they plan to stop selling most Chevrolet models in Europe they are still planning to sell the Camaro. Why then can they not also offer the Volt, albeit in what might remain limited numbers?

The only possible "fly in the ointment" for that plan is the cost of converting to RHD?

Derek

Will it still be sold in Australia? If so they will need a rhd model

·
1,204 Posts
Will it still be sold in Australia? If so they will need a rhd model
I had thought of that, as well as South Africa, Japan and several other territories. I suppose that will depend on how Global they see the Volt?

However, EV sales in Australia in 2013 were under 300 units total from what I can see so I really don't know if that will be sufficient. I'm not sure if the rest of the RHD markets are influential enough?

Derek

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
Reactions: Richard Gledhill

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Fascinating write-up showing just how complex the technology is. Reassuring that they've found the batteries' life-span is very good too :)

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts