Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For an extra $695 US Volt buyers can now get our nice Ampera wheels ;-)

·
Registered
67 Posts
That's right; rub it in. We also now have the “Hold” mode for the 2013 Volt that the EU had in 2012.

On a slightly different tack it is my understanding that the EU requires at least an option of steel wheels for the Volt. How is Vauxhall/Ampera handling this? That is, here in the USA the various tyre vendors sell the same tyre size you have but insist the steel wheel bolt pattern wheels that fit that size tire is spaced differently then the aluminum Volt wheels and as such no steel wheels are available here in the USA for the Volt.

Are you in a position to measure the distance between the center of the bolt on the wheels? Do you have a European steel wheel.

Thanks Ross

·
Premium Member
11,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am away in Spain without my Ampera at present so can't measure anything - perhaps someone else reading can help Ross?

I think a forum member just got some steel wheels and winter tyres so I guess they must be available in UK?

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have just done a little research having had a "notion" that the wheel size for Ampera is the same as for latest Astra (Mk6) as they share basic architecture. Two alternatives seem to exist for the Astra Mk6 namely 5 x 105 and 5 x 115 PCD

It's a little difficult to measure the PCD really acurately when there are 5 bollts without removing the wheel, but by a process of elimination I believe it (the Pitch Circle Diameter) on my Ampera is 115mm. (It's certainly not 105)

I'd also suspect this might also be the same as the Chevrolet Cruze as it also shares the same platform

Good hunting!

Big Paul

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks Big Paul,

I've assumed that GM building the same basic vehicle for the US market and the world market would have the same wheels but then the devil might indeed be in the details.

Some months ago I became aware of an article stating that the EU required steel wheels as an option for use of chains or cables in winter driving in the EU. The tire size was stated but no details on the wheel. My Chevrolet dealer said he would be glad to order steel wheels from their Cruise model Chevrolet. My tire store advised me that the wheel bolt pattern wouldn't fit the Volt hub. Getting the smaller tyre wouldn't be a problem.

Ross

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi Reb
I got the sizes for the wheels from the European GM site;

http://www.opel-accessories.com/subprod ... e%20Wheels

Complete Steel Wheel 16 inch with Winter Tire (Michelin Alpin A3/A4)

Michelin Alpin A3/A4

• With Tyre Pressure Monitoring System

• Tyre size 205/60 R16 - 96 H xL

• Dimensions: 6.5J x 16 offset 41

• Bolt pattern: 5 x 115

The wheel rim dimension is pretty standard but one of the important bits is the offset of 41mm, otherwise you may have a problem with interference on the brake calliper or the like.
Through trawling various wheel sites came up with two cars that have the same dimension, the Chevy cruise and the Astra (series J) both the 2.0 diesel I seem to remember, wheel model 9327

http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/skw.pl

I had to drive to Germany and Luxembourg who both now require Winter tyres to be fitted from 1st October, did get a bit of help from My Ampera but basically had to take the plunge in buying them.
Anyhow done over 700 miles with them fitted and have noticed nothing untoward.
If you have any question only to glad to help

Gary

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks for all of your help Gary,

Now to see if I can get the steel wheels on this side of the pond.

Ross

1 - 7 of 7 Posts