Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So getting the Volt tomorrow. Have sorted an outside temp 13a RCD socket set up. Have made enquirys with Wallpod for a 16a homestation (no call yet from an instaler though!!). Wife is getting the grand handover of the key to the charging stations at her work ready for monday.

Lol. As she is the first EV owner in GE she is being the "EV" public relations for GE UK and electric vehicles for empolyees.

But what about away from home? We have the ER-EV, I understand we cant use AC or DC rapid chargers at all ? So all these points I see in motorway service stations are no use at all ?

I found this map.

https://www.goultralow.com/how-do-i-power/charging-on-the-go/

So I assume it's only the Slow (3kw) and fast (7-22 kw) that we can use. Do they all need seperate "cards" to use? Or is there a universal one? We are in Aylesbury but do vist MK a couple of times a month.

I do know the ASDA Aylesbury has an EV charger. No idea what type yet or what you have to do to use it. I will pop in there once we get it.

One hought I had, with free charging at work, 11p a KWH charging at home, and the ER-EV ICE doing abouit 40 MPG, if the public charging stations are not free or say 15p kwh max cost then with the Voltec system why would i ever use them?

M

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
When I had my Ampera I only ever used public charging just to try it out. I never needed it or used it when I was on a long trip as I used petrol. However, if you do a lot of local trips and want to keep the battery topped up while away from home then I could imagine someone using public charging quite a bit even with an PHEV.

To use much of public charging you would need a type1 to Type 2 cable. Some will take the 3-pin of the car's EVSE but more and more are using Type 2. This cable will cost you about £160 (prices vary so shop around!).

Cards! Arrrgh! You will need to find out what is in your area to determine what cards you need. It isn't as easy as one card... that is what we all want :)

Other maps to try...

Zap-map
Open Charge Map
Plugshare

You need to look at all of them to get a better picture as not all chargers are on every map.

It is still early days. :)

·
Banned
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To use much of public charging you would need a type1 to Type 2 cable. Some will take the 3-pin of the car's EVSE but more and more are using Type 2. This cable will cost you about £160 (prices vary so shop around!).

:)
Any benefit of a 32a vs a 16a type 1 to type 2 cable for the Amepera/Volt? I assume 32A cable will give you more charging options?

Also as the likes of Wickes and Screwfix are go to websites for DIY and Richer Sounds is for HIFI / Home Entertainment, are there any go-to websites for EV Cables and accessories?

M

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Any benefit of a 32a vs a 16a type 1 to type 2 cable for the Amepera/Volt? I assume 32A cable will give you more charging options?
The Ampera only has a 16A charger so you can use 32A charge stations without any issues, and you could use a 32A cable if you wished without issues, but you would get no benefit as the car can only charge at 16A. So if you want a type 1 to 2 cable you only need a 16A one.

There are a few places around for cables etc... I'll leave that for others to answer though as I haven't bought anything now for over 2 years. :)

·
Registered
189 Posts
So getting the Volt tomorrow. Have sorted an outside temp 13a RCD socket set up. Have made enquirys with Wallpod for a 16a homestation (no call yet from an instaler though!!). Wife is getting the grand handover of the key to the charging stations at her work ready for monday.

Lol. As she is the first EV owner in GE she is being the "EV" public relations for GE UK and electric vehicles for empolyees.

But what about away from home? We have the ER-EV, I understand we cant use AC or DC rapid chargers at all ? So all these points I see in motorway service stations are no use at all ?

I found this map.

https://www.goultralow.com/how-do-i-power/charging-on-the-go/

So I assume it's only the Slow (3kw) and fast (7-22 kw) that we can use. Do they all need seperate "cards" to use? Or is there a universal one? We are in Aylesbury but do vist MK a couple of times a month.

I do know the ASDA Aylesbury has an EV charger. No idea what type yet or what you have to do to use it. I will pop in there once we get it.

One hought I had, with free charging at work, 11p a KWH charging at home, and the ER-EV ICE doing abouit 40 MPG, if the public charging stations are not free or say 15p kwh max cost then with the Voltec system why would i ever use them?

M
The main card to get is one from ecotricity - its free and works all their nice DC chargers which have the type 2 Renault connector as well as the Nissan DC charger lead already attached. If you move your home fuel over to ecotricity you also get the equivalent of 1000 hours of charging time at home. ecotricity do not bill for the use of their chargers - yet - this may change so perhaps we home fuel ecotricity users will still be able to use their street charges for free - no-one know as of yet but its a good idea (of mine !).
We bit the bullet and went pure EV with great success - living in Halifax we have IKEA's dotted around the area with chargers, free tea and free Wi-Fi (you need an IKEA Family card for the latter two). I've been to Dover and back recently with no issues as each Services has a charger so every 65 miles or so we stopped for a 'fill' I guess your battery pack is a lower capacity which may mean using gas some part of the journey. I get a bit anxious heading from say Leeds to Manchester as the two main Services on the M62, Hartshead Moor and Birch do not have chargers, its all to do with TEN-T some Brussels based Quango that dictates when and where we can have our UK chargers - crazy or what, we have to wait for some foreigners to tell we Brits what we need, its sad to see our EV aspirations being curtailed in such a manner but there you go - I guess with you being in the South there will be masses of chargers - so get an ecotricity card and give it a go !!. I run a blog about our experiences with the EV take a look at www.stevenbarrettblog.wordpress.com - enjoy !

·
Super Moderator
11,963 Posts
The main card to get is one from ecotricity - its free and works all their nice DC chargers which have the type 2 Renault connector as well as the Nissan DC charger lead already attached.
I'm not sure if I like the idea of an Ampera 16Amp slow charging at an Ecotricity rapid. Yes, they can use some of them with an adapter. But as Paul pointed out they don't need to.

Pure battery EVs don't have the luxury of filling up with petrol and could end up queuing behind a slow charging Ampera.

When we were at Ikea last weekend, an Ampera was parked in one of the Ecotrocity spots for most of the day. It wasn't hooked up to the charger but it was taking up a space. In my mind that was as bad as ICEing.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Public charging isn't really for the volt / ampera unless overnight say a hotel for example and you're quite right never pay in a volt / amperage petrol is way cheaper.

·
Banned
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not sure if I like the idea of an Ampera 16Amp slow charging at an Ecotricity rapid. Yes, they can use some of them with an adapter. But as Paul pointed out they don't need to.

Pure battery EVs don't have the luxury of filling up with petrol and could end up queuing behind a slow charging Ampera.

When we were at Ikea last weekend, an Ampera was parked in one of the Ecotrocity spots for most of the day. It wasn't hooked up to the charger but it was taking up a space. In my mind that was as bad as ICEing.
Hmmm. Sounds like "pure" ev vs others politics to me. For sure If the IKEA was free and fits the Volt I would plug in while shopping there, at most 2 hours. The idea of not hunting a parking space on a Saturday is probably more appealing than 2 hours free charging.

No chance of me leaving it there all day though. To many things to do. However I suspect the Ikea MK will probably have it's EV chargers fully occupied from 1st opening on a weekend!!!

M

·
Banned
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Public charging isn't really for the volt / ampera unless overnight say a hotel for example and you're quite right never pay in a volt / amperage petrol is way cheaper.
I leaning towards agreeing. Best deal I can see on a type 1 to type 2 cable is £165 with VAT and free delivery. That's a lot of charging @ home @ 11p kwh!!

http://nuworldenergy.co.uk/shop/product/j1772-to-mennekes-cable-32a-5m

I'm thinking is it really worth shelling out £165 for something we most likely will either never be bothered to use or get the chance to use as the pure ev's will always get to chargers at the crack of dawn out of need.

Free / Reserved EV parking charges is of more interest to me TBH. But it seems free EV parking is getting less and less.

M

·
Hyundai Kona convert...
225 Posts
I've had my Ampera now since mid June but have never really needed to re-charge in public. I was tempted to buy a Type 1 to 2 charger, but to be honest, would have struggled to use it. (And I've done around 7500 miles on just over 12 galls of fuel so far, for a lifetime 600mpg from my first 14 weeks!)

I had a 'foc' 16A charger fitted (via British Gas) whilst it was still free and charge either at home or at work.
I usually get around 45 miles per charge so have worked out:
  • Home charge (16A) charges at around 12 miles per hour
  • At work (via EVSE block) at 10A is around 8 miles per hour
  • With less robust electric supply at 6A is 5 miles per hour
(and the idea of a 'mph' charge rate appeals to me!)

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
The main card to get is one from ecotricity
Ecotricity is rapids only and won't be any good for an Ampera. IMO there is no point at all in getting an Ecotricity card for an Ampera. Having said that... it is free at the moment so you could say why not but you will never use it.

I'm not sure if I like the idea of an Ampera 16Amp slow charging at an Ecotricity rapid
It is not possible to charge an Ampera on the Ecotricity AC rapids. The connector is a Type 2 but you cannot plug a Type 1 to Type 2 cable into it. It is designed so that adapter cables won't work.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
You can't use any tethered charger eg Ikea as they have a type 2 connection. Doubt the cost of an adapter would be worth it.

Ecotricity are in the process of removing some of their untethered type 2 chargers in locations where they are doubling up rapids and the current power capacity is insufficient.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Beat me to it Paul

·
Registered
313 Posts
You can't use any tethered charger eg Ikea as they have a type 2 connection. Doubt the cost of an adapter would be worth it.

Ecotricity are in the process of removing their untethered type 2 chargers.
An adaptor? From a Type 2 vehicle connector to a Type 2 plug? Does such a beast exist? How does it communicate cable current rating to the charging equipment?

·
Super Moderator
6,389 Posts
I leaning towards agreeing. Best deal I can see on a type 1 to type 2 cable is £165 with VAT and free delivery. That's a lot of charging @ home @ 11p kwh!!

http://nuworldenergy.co.uk/shop/product/j1772-to-mennekes-cable-32a-5m

I'm thinking is it really worth shelling out £165 for something we most likely will either never be bothered to use or get the chance to use as the pure ev's will always get to chargers at the crack of dawn out of need.

Free / Reserved EV parking charges is of more interest to me TBH. But it seems free EV parking is getting less and less.

M
The Volt won't work on any Rapids, so even if the parking is free IMO we should not park on them, the BEV's need the chargers and we don't.
There is a bit of the same attitude by BEV owners towards Fast chargers but IMO we have every right to use them no matter how long we occupy them. If a charger is in a "parking space" then it is designed to be parked at so the time you spend there is your own business, a Rapid is designed to quickly charge a car in about 30 mins so parking at one IMO is very out of order.

I have a 32a type 1-2 lead, getting the 16a one is a problem as on some 32a posts there is a compatability problem and if you move to another EV you are future proofing as you could take the lead with you. The used the same philosophy with the home charger and went for 32a even though my Volt gets no benifit from it.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
An adaptor? From a Type 2 vehicle connector to a Type 2 plug? Does such a beast exist? How does it communicate cable current rating to the charging equipment?
I don't know. Paul seems to think they wouldn't work. My point is, it's probably not worth you getting one. Chargemaster cards might be useful because they are often needed for supermarkets. You have to put £20 credit on the card, but there is a way of getting round that to just put £5 on.

·
Now enjoying my new Kia SOUL EV
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Electric (38.3 kWh) Premium SE in Iron Grey with Shale Grey Interior option
1,324 Posts
I have had my Ampera since the end of March this year. Now covered 9000 miles and only ever once used a public charging post once, and that was at the local wind farm visitors centre. It was also only a 3 pin 13A post so charged at 10A. And, as it is local to me I didn't "need" to charge.

I too have contemplated the Type 2 to Type 1 lead and so far decided it is too expensive to justify buying.

I suppose it comes down to the fact that having bought an E-REV I don't ever "need" to charge on a public post. It might be nice on occasion to take advantage of a little free charging but will never be essential. That is unless I was a complete tool and ran out of petrol as well........ :rolleyes:

HTH

Derek

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Paul seems to think they wouldn't work.
I know that you cannot use a type 2 to type 1 cable on a AC rapid. The connectors look like they should fit but they have arranged it so that the two won't fit together. This is to prevent daisy-chaining. Daisy-chaning is not permitted on rapids because of the high current and risks involved.

You have to put £20 credit on the card, but there is a way of getting round that to just put £5 on.
There was a way to put on just £5 but Chargemaster have now plugged that whole so it is £20 or nothing now :(

·
Banned
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Spoke to the sales guy from Motorpoint this afternoon in confirming we are still buying tomorrow. At the end of the call he asked if there is anything else we can do? I said yes contact Derby branch and make sure they plug the bloody Volt in to charge tonight so it has a full charge for the return journey tomorrow. Told him about how the test drive last week was all of the engine petrol power as the battery had virtually no charge left.

"Ah" he says, "I will email them to make sure!!" It's gonna take a while for the Box shifters to get fully into selling and dealing with EV's.

On the 95 mile journey home want at least 40ish miles of it on battery.

M

·
Registered
697 Posts
Ampera owner here. Do not bother with the charging cable. Since the silly Chargemaster pricing in April, I've used mine twice.

Just use petrol on long journeys, and plug in at home. If you're out and about and see a free 13Amp socket then use the cable that comes with the car.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts