Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy an ampera or volt in the near future so called my local Vauxhall dealer to check that they can service it. Good news they can. Just one thing intrigued me and that was i was told the drive train and electronics are not identical in the volt & ampera and the cars were a lot more different than just bodywork and interiors i.e suspension etc also parts for a volt will be difficult to find. This seems to go against what I have read; is this true?

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
3,612 Posts
Personally, I am with you that it is just minor cosmetic differences, front/rear bumpers and possibly body-coloured sill covers (Ampera has body-coloured and I think the Volts are black. Some of us have bought parts for the Ampera from the US and referred to a US parts diagram to get the part numbers. I think there are a couple of cars for sale in the classifieds section.

·
Premium Member
Electron Summit White NK13...107k 91.5 and rising
153 Posts
Welcome @RussP.

I suppose we need to be clear about versions. The Original Ampera and Volt were absolutely the same vehicle save for the cosmetic differences noted above. There was no Ampera version of the second generation Volt so there are many more differences there, although it was evolution and the drive train would have been essentially the same. Quite a lot of the basics like suspension and drive shafts is shared across other GM platforms as you might expect.

I suggest you validate your Vauxhall dealer's claims with real life Ampera owners. Servicing is one thing, repairing is increasingly becoming another - hence the utility of this forum.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the replies, things are much as i thought then. Probably just a knee jerk reaction by the dealer at the suggestion i might buy something other than a Vauxhall.
I can only see one in the classifieds on here which looks good but is in NI which makes viewing difficult, in fact all viewing is difficult under lockdown especially as i live in Wales. Travel restrictions within Wales will probably be lifted this week but don't know when this will happen in England, as soon as travel is possible i will looking at cars. There are several on Autotrader & ebay which look good. If anyone knows of cars advertised elsewhere or has any comments to make on any of the cars on Autotrader/ebay i will take note. I have of course read the thread on "Buying a secondhand Ampera" but any helpful suggestions will be gratefully received.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Thank you for the replies, things are much as i thought then. Probably just a knee jerk reaction by the dealer at the suggestion i might buy something other than a Vauxhall.
I can only see one in the classifieds on here which looks good but is in NI which makes viewing difficult, in fact all viewing is difficult under lockdown especially as i live in Wales. Travel restrictions within Wales will probably be lifted this week but don't know when this will happen in England, as soon as travel is possible i will looking at cars. There are several on Autotrader & ebay which look good. If anyone knows of cars advertised elsewhere or has any comments to make on any of the cars on Autotrader/ebay i will take note. I have of course read the thread on "Buying a secondhand Ampera" but any helpful suggestions will be gratefully received.
Where in wales are you,I live in crosshands and another ampera owner is a few miles away.
I’m repairing his wife’s one tomorrow,if you want to have a look or a drive,that’s no problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not too far away, near Llangrannog. If possible i would certainly like to take a look. Observing covid rules of course.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts