Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
MadSilence
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!

My Ampera won't charge again. When I insert the EVSE the car lights up green and then the EVSE gives out a fault.

I talked with some dude here that had the same issue after driving in heavy rain. some part had water leaking in and shorting it. He suggested what to fix and how, but I can't find the thread again!

Anyone done this? The charge port or something behind it. Can't remember what he called it!=)

·
Registered
435 Posts
Hi guys!

My Ampera won't charge again. When I insert the EVSE the car lights up green and then the EVSE gives out a fault.

I talked with some dude here that had the same issue after driving in heavy rain. some part had water leaking in and shorting it. He suggested what to fix and how, but I can't find the thread again!

Anyone done this? The charge port or something behind it. Can't remember what he called it!=)
It happened to mine. The charge port was replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
As a very short-term temp fix, try dosing with lots of WD40. This is a Water Dispersant (not a lubricant). It just might "dry" things out a little bit. You do not want the car's socket shorting out, like mine did. Fed 230V into the signal line, and blew my wall-mounted charger. But 100% agree with Robin H, get it to a dealer to be checked properly, and preferably replaced, like mine was also.

·
Spiro Tech, Lecturer.
23 Posts
Hi just when you thought all was going so wall, a nasty new problem shows up.

So recently I too had the misfortune of the ‘not able to charge message’ on the DRIVERS DISPLAY.
Symptoms
Using a public charger, the dash board light flashes Amber intermittently and the ‘not able to charge, show on DIC.....ok
On the home charger same problem, same display.
After a few days spent trying to find a dealer that would look at the unit (under the Voltec warranty), and with the assistance of Chevrolet customer care, I took the car along to robins & day Wimbldon.
The initial investigation sited the problem was the HV CHARGE CONTROL MODULE, not receiving voltage. So the assumption was replace it.
Incredibly, they managed to track one down and replace the unit, unfortunately, this did not clear the fault, instead a new fault code was shown, not sure what, however, at this point, the charge socket was blamed .
So. In goes a new receptacle this cleared the fault, and after a reprogramming all was well.
Ok so the conclusion we might gain from this - the socket may have initially been at fault, perhaps a voltage spike may have damaged the HV control module.

One other interesting point to note - through all this Chevrolet custom care really help, even to the point of contacting the dealer to make sure ( on two occasions)
1. ALL the work was done under the Voltec warrant,
2. ALL out standing RECALL where completed
and the car was back within about two weeks, just in time for my birthday.
So many thanks to robins & day and Chevy customer care (now known as Vauxhall customer care)
Hope some of this helps.
Sorry for the long winded explanation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts