Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Months ago my Volt had a dealership service and about 3 wks later (coincidence?) developed a hiccup. I cannot exactly tell what it was but when the IC engine struck u p and kicked-in from cold it would run fine for a minute or two and then start juddering, sending a wave of vibration through the whole car. It didn't seem to always do it at the same moment.

The engine warning light flashed every time it happened and then stayed on, so the Chevy dealer Buckingham and Stanley (who have been very good) changed the coil pack and plugs (non warranty - damn) but this seems to have not solved the vibration from the IC engine running. Could be gearbox or engine misfire - I cannot seem to tell.

Do any other owners know what this is? I am almost £500 down from replacing the ignition parts, my 2013 Volt hasn't even done 34,000 miles.

I happen to think this is a drivetrain issue, which should be warranty covered, no?

Thanks guys. Hoping to get it solved as I love the car and want to get it back to being fantastically dependable.

Best

Jonny

·
Premium Member
2019 Leaf 40
6,480 Posts
Have you got a code reader?

There's a few with this issue but it's water getting where it shouldn't.

Problem with my Volt Jerking and Flashing CEL [Archive] - GM-Volt: Chevy Volt Forum

I've just found a service update to fix a Volt misfire

32340B: Service Update for Inventory and Customer Vehicles - Engine Misfire - 2016-2017 Chevrolet Volt

There's also this one that looks like it might be useful:

PIP5380: Chevrolet Volt rough running at start up, smoke from exhaust and/or knock noise - 2016-2017 Chevrolet Volt

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for this. I knew you would have an answer. Tell me, where does one acquire a code reader?
And how does one update their software without a dealership?

·
Premium Member
2019 Leaf 40
6,480 Posts
The OBD ones are on Amazon. Usually around a tenner and work with a phone app if you get one of the bluetooth or wifi based ones. Think mine was an ieGeek brand.

Not sure about the software update without the dealer as it depends whether you can get hold of it yourself or not. You can with some cars. Always worth a look on Ebay for it. If it's a generic GM one then it's easier but if it's specific to only the Volt it might be more difficult. It also depends on whether the actual software updates are floating around in the ether generally or it's something only dealerships can get at. Dedicated Volt user forums might be more likely to have it or know where to get it.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
You won't be able to update any software as that is still dealer only.

Sounds like an ignition problem.

Not sure if the engine would be part of the 4ET50 drive module. It is a part of it and maybe Chevvy are more lenient than Vauxhalls stance at the mo.

Most OBD2 modules will work. They are cheap and you can download Torque or I use OBD Fusion to read and delete warnings.

Hope you get it sorted.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Have you got a code reader?

There's a few with this issue but it's water getting where it shouldn't.

Problem with my Volt Jerking and Flashing CEL [Archive] - GM-Volt: Chevy Volt Forum

I've just found a service update to fix a Volt misfire

32340B: Service Update for Inventory and Customer Vehicles - Engine Misfire - 2016-2017 Chevrolet Volt

There's also this one that looks like it might be useful:

PIP5380: Chevrolet Volt rough running at start up, smoke from exhaust and/or knock noise - 2016-2017 Chevrolet Volt
Minor problem here is that the 16 -17 Gen 2 Volt has a different 1.5 l motor not the the same as the 1.4 l in the gen 1 volt.

·
Registered
627 Posts
It's a GM global motor it pops up all over the place in various models, in the ampera application it runs at 3 fixed speeds, which is a unique modde of operation, having said that it's just a bog standard 4 cylinder motor, mechanicals, fuel and ignition systems are going to be common across applications.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
26,314 Posts
I have not looked at the links offered but these are probably related to the infamous 'chuggle' that was widely reported after the Volt 2 launch. This will have nothing to do with this.

I don't want to scare you but this sounds like it could be the cracked cylinder head fault that I have read a couple of gm-volt posts on. It starts with the dealer swapping out a few coil packs before they realise there is something up with the head itself. I don't recall why it actually leads to this fault, but if you search there for cylinder head and coil pack you will probably come across it. I read two accounts of this.

I suppose you should not need to worry as this is fair and square a drive-train warranty call, but you might even be able to argue that the coil pack swap was a mis-diagnosis and for you to get your money back.

Sorry to say this, and I wish it were not so serious, but it is an extremely rare yet known fault.

Of course it might not be that at all, but the symptoms fit.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys. It's still misfiring (checked tonight with the bonnet up and engine cover off). Must find out the prob before it damages any thing. The plugs and coilpack cost me £500 from a dealer, which I still haven't recovered from .

Off to get an OBD reader now!

·
26,314 Posts

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Isn't there a crankshaft-rotation sensor somewhere that can be changed v cheaply on a just-in-case basis? If these start to play up, the ICU loses precise knowledge of just where the crankshaft is, and timing goes off & misfires happen. Might be worth changing that? Thoughts?

·
26,314 Posts
A TDC sensor usually works or doesn't. But for sure, there are lots of other possibilities. The lambda sensor might have lost its mind. Just that these failure modes aren't that common on this Family 0 engine.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Do any other models apart from the ampera use the same 1.4? That’s another avenue to search.
I understood it was used in the Corsa as well as other models and is long in the teeth.

None of this helps @Jonny Smith and typical that its a legacy item on the Volt that is letting it down.

I bet the engine has covered far less than 15,000 miles so if it is a casting failure, should certainly get some warranty support if not full.

I wonder how you do a pressure test on the cylinders when you are not in control of starting the ICE.

·
Premium Member
2019 Leaf 40
6,480 Posts
Isn't there a battery hold mode or similar in the Volt? That would make the ICE fire up. I'd imagine there would be a way of starting it listed in the workshop manual.

·
26,314 Posts
Do any other models apart from the ampera use the same 1.4? That’s another avenue to search.
It's a Gen 3 Family 0 engine. There are millions of them out there. The Ampera engine designation is LUU, which is with just a couple of extra refinements due to the particular operating profile.

GM Family 0 engine - Wikipedia

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had the exact same problem with my brand new Gen2 2017 Chevy Volt. It started in the second month of ownership, last year, and is still occurring as of today. The gasoline engines starts smoothly and operates normally for 2-3 minutes, then the car starts quivering and shaking for a few minutes, then smoothes out gradually back to normal. Il will reoccur almost every time the gas engine starts from cold. If it starts when already hot, it does not seem to occur. There is no error (check engine) code. So far, the dealership has not found anything unusual with the car. They updated the software and the issue is still occurring. In electrical mode, there is never any vibration so I tend to reject the transmission as a potential cause, although it really feels like a transmission problem. I am very interested to hear about your experience. Please keep us posted if you get it solved and I will do the same. Regards.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts