Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dropbox - voltclips.docx

All Gen 1 Volt / Ampera Owners who have a volt shelf please read this will give your voltshelf a more OEM look , please note you need access to a 3D Printer.

STL files and installation instructions if you use them please donate to Julias House

Any feedback will be welcome , this has been a 4 month journey for me.

·
Ampera Advocate
322 Posts
Jeremy and Andy
Congrats on seeing your project to completion - very impressive.
Are you able to post more pictures of the clips in use so that we can get a better understanding of how they look and work please?
I have a Voltshelf but have never found the correct way to install it so that it doesn't catch on the circular fittings that are in your picture. Those fittings screw into the side panel and seem to work loose during driving and when they do, they stop the Voltshelf moving up when you try to open the boot. I end up reaching into the partly opened boot to jiggle the Voltshelf around to get it clear of the fittings before the boot will open.
It's quite likely that I need to learn how to fit the Voltshelf properly. I did consider taking out the circular balck fittings but that leaves open holes so not ideal.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
They look neat! Although I must admit I've just wound the stops out a bit on mine and it rests quite happily on them.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Can't seem to open the doc or see the pics.

The support brackets on mine are a pain and are forever slowly sliding down and scratching the boot plastics.

Why not make a few and sell them to owners? I haven't seen them but would happily pay for a better solution.

·
Ampera Advocate
322 Posts
[QUOTE=", please note you need access to a 3D Printer..[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=" I haven't seen them but would happily pay for a better solution.[/QUOTE]

Never met anyone with a 3-D printer, or even access to one, so would also be interested if you consider making them to sell to SpeakEV members

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Hi everyone! For those outside UK (postage from UK might be a bit much?) I suggest using a 3D bureau such as shapeways.com to get these printed. For those in UK, if you'd like me to print you a set & post them, I'd appreciate a donation to me of £4 to cover plastic, time, postage & packing to you. Send me a PM with your address in (click on my name on icon at the left and "Start a Conversation") & I'll sent you my paypal id, or postage stamps are an acceptable alternative! If you fell like it, please donate a few quid to Julias House Children's Hospice which I support, www.juliashouse.org . Thank you!

Here are some more pics, the ones of the car are courtesy of Jeremy (thanks!) who has been the guinea pig for several weeks as we got the glitches out & improved the design. With luck these should be strong, and not let the shelf fall down!

Before assembly:
upload_2018-12-10_21-51-21.jpeg

Assembled:
upload_2018-12-10_21-51-35.jpeg

upload_2018-12-10_21-56-24.jpeg

upload_2018-12-10_21-56-35.jpeg

Each clip comes in 2 parts - this means a) fits in <25mm thick envelope so much cheaper postage than a parcel, and b) I can print it with minimal support structure so less waste & faster.

For those outside UK, PM me and I can send you the STL files for you to get printed locally in ABS/Nylon/similar. Julia's House are happy to accept donations in a currency of your choice! Thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I would say it’s a bit late to be going for an OEM look now. For me anyway. I have always been fine with the angled bracket that goes under the carrier bag hangers, as originally supplied.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
91 Posts
Well, I think it's a very well thought out clever solution and I'm going to invest in a pair.

The supplied brackets are a weak link in my opinion.

Now, how about some sort of hinged or rotating support for the rear of the shelf.........?!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fully agree while I am not a fan of the loops at the back they work ok , given the tolerances I am not sure how easy this would be to improve on.

HandyAndy and I (mostly Andy) have spent considerable effort to get this far.

When I get a chance I will look at other cars and see if one of the solutions will work , not being the expert but 3D printing has some limitations.

Never say never

That said please give it a go it’s a great improvement and I am chuffed to bits with our collaboration.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I have a pair of an earlier version of these from Andy and they work very well, better than the metal brackets.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Fitted my new supports yesterday.
Can't recommend them highly enough.
Absolute doddle to fit and a much better solution than the metal brackets.
Worth every penny in my opinion.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I would say it’s a bit late to be going for an OEM look now. For me anyway. I have always been fine with the angled bracket that goes under the carrier bag hangers, as originally supplied.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My brackets alway bend down cant figure it out must be boot lid hits them ??

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Hi everyone! The Voltshelf supports I've been making occasionally have now gone through quite a few iterations - am now on version 13! I've now decided to offer these for sale on eBay - if interested, please search for "Ampera Voltshelf Supports" and you'll find them there. FWIW I still continue to support Julia's House with a regular monthly dd, so please come and buy some!

·
Registered
155 Posts
I just installed a set of these from Andy and have to say they’re really very good, definitely a worthwhile modification. Incidentally I decided to leave the rear seat centre pocket thing when I installed the volt shelf so I have the volt shelf blank panel thing left over if anyone wants it, I don’t want anything for it just either pick it up or cover postage.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts