Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A Volvo hybrid has been plugged into a PodPoint near me for over 30 hours now. Is there anything I can do?

I could really do with the charge.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
6,947 Posts
Have you tried contacting podpoint to see if they can release the cable out of the post end so you can plug it in while it's safely locked into the car?

I suspect it will be quicker just to find another charge point. I would contact podpoint and say being plugged in for so long is rather rude.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Try calling Pod Point on the number on the post and ask them to unlock the post remotely ?.
No excuse for this type of selfish behaviour.
Not even in a full BEV.
Somehow it’s is totally on another scale when it’s a PHEV.
I bet he has a full tank of fuel as well !.
What a tool !!!!.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sadly PodPoint day they can’t access it remotely.
I think really there’s nothing to be done but I just wanted to vent.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It had actually finished charging when I looked at it at around 1pm yesterday so it’s now been plugged in for over 24 hours for no reason.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Have you not got your “Granny” charger with you ?.
You could have charged to full on a 3 pin plug in 30 hours !.
Easier to find a spare 3 pin plug than another charger !.
Stick a note on the drivers window that strongly suggests that the owner should spend a few hours reading through the manual on the max time required to charge his car to full, and then return and free up the charger please !.
Or, let them know how long they have been plugged in and suggest in future they leave a contact number in the window so other people can gain access to the charger.
Either that or just let all the air out of his tyres and leave a note to say :-
“Now you know how it feels to be stuck around waiting”.
There is some selfish people out there !.
There will be more PHEV’s rolled out this year, in order to drag out the life of the ICE.
This “Hogging” and unnecessary blocking of posts is going to become all to frequent.
I have nothing against PHEV’s.
I had one for over 4 years myself.
Everybody is entitled to use the charging network, but return to your car and shift it when it’s complete PLEASE !.
Plugging in for over 30 hours, to receive the same amount of electrical range in a PHEV is an absolute joke.
Makes my blood boil.

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Seeing as he has a full charge, you could siphon off the petrol since he won't be needing it.

I would post a note complaining about his anti-social behaviour. (I'm assuming it's a "he", but you never know...)

·
Registered
494 Posts
Where is the location? Is it free vend by any chance? Is it near a housing estate etc so that the owner had plugged in and walked home? That used to happen when the Lidl Rapids were free... The owner has likely done it many times before and has never been challenged about it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
All vendors should do what Tesla do and charge them an idle fee for each minute the car is not charging but plugged in. It would discourage this type of thing.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
Either that or just let all the air out of his tyres and leave a note to say :-
“Now you know how it feels to be stuck around waiting”.
There is some selfish people out there !.
Very tempting, just not entirely legal.

Instead, name and shame. Publish the registration number here.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I had this problem once, with one being hogged and one not working. I got the store to reset the trips .... it didn't cure the faulty point, but it did unlock the one being hogged;)

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
222 Posts
Let half the air out of one tyre. Then stick a note to his window to inform him that you have noticed he'd left his car plugged in for 30 hours, and that that is anti-social behaviour. To show him what social behaviour is you also inform him of the fact that someone has partially deflated his tyre and that you recommend him to bring it back to the correct pressure at a petrol station. Kindly say goodbye expressing the hope that next time he will move the car after charging and that his tyres do not get deflated anymore.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Not legal at all, but I can understand the impulse. +1 for name and shame.
There was a person charged for doing this (letting air out of the tyres of a car incorrectly parked in a disabled space)however they were not convicted in court. The judge ruled that as they had not stolen anything or caused criminal damage (the air was not stolen and they had left a note to say all tyres are flat and not to drive off perhaps causing damage).

·
Registered
16,893 Posts
Destination chargers are meant for cars to be left on them, even when not charging.

However 30 hours is a bit of a stretch on the common etiquette.

The best you can do is to leave a polite note to tell the guy he’s inconveniencing others.

(Yes, I said guy as I don’t believe a woman would be this inconsiderate) ;)

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
Destination chargers are meant for cars to be left on them, even when not charging.
And that's the question, what sort of destination is this and how long is the destination expecting the customer to stay? For example, at a hotel where overnight stays are expected it might be reasonable, at a shopping centre which closes overnight it might not be.

Reactions: Carty
1 - 20 of 52 Posts