Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Currently an i3 driver and need to replace in 12 months time - no question that it hgas to be another EV. i3 has been a good first experience of a EV but too many minor things about it make me think I need to switch. Plus BMW seem to be no longer developing it further. Budget is 40-50k so obvious options are
  • Tesla M3
  • VW ID3
  • Polsestar?
  • others
I am fancying a small SUV style vehicle as I've never owned one and the volvo XC40 caught my eye recently (as well as new evoque) and talking to the dealers they said they exepct a full electric in late 2020 - could be ideal timing. But there are no real details on anything from spec to range to price, although we may get some at the Frankfurt motor show. The dealer said the hybrid xc40 is best part of 10k more than standard ICE and he expects the full electric to be another 10k so 50 looking likely. I know they will want to be competing with the likes of mode x, i-pace, etron etc and they are all 70k+ models and also a step bigger.
VW are saying they will have an SUV version of ID3 but likley 2021. Model Y seems even further out.
I do expect to keep the car for 5 years minimum if not longer so am wondering if its too early in EV cycle to commit to a long term buy given the huge amount of new EV's from all manufacturers due in 21/22/23.
Currently the plan is to wait it out and see what news comes out.. or go for a short term lease as a gap - though I am old school and not a fan of paying a load of money on a lease and having nothing to show for it after 2-3 years... especially for a 50k type car

Thoughts welcome..

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Best case on keeping the i3 is end 2020 so i really need nto order something around sept 2020 or get a stop gap

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes i can buy the i3 at the end of the lease but not sure i want to as it will be 20k+ and means i w ill need to sell it within another year or so. Its on my list of optins but not ideal. Just need to see what the manufacturers announce as 2020 models and then as 2021 - models. Hopefully the model Y/xc40/VW Crozz etc will become available within budget by early 2021.. Interesting times.
I also just started lookig in EVEZY and that seems an intersting option for a stop gap.

·
Live by the sword. Don't intend to die by it.
394 Posts
Does it need to be new? I imagine a second hand I-Pace or E-Tron will be under 50k in 12 months.

Personally, I like the Polestar 2, but we'll see where we are in early 2020 once stuff like the ID.3 has been properly unveiled.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i-pace and e-tron are too big for my needs. I test drove a model 3 and was surprised by how much i liked it - its not ideal as i just fancy as SUV style but cpoul dbe an optopn for a couple of years when there will be much more choice. I imagine i could pickup a 1 year old model 3 for around 30k so wouldn't be a huge investment. Will see how things play out when volvo actually giv us xc40e details in a couple of weeks

·
Registered
71 Posts
The dealer said the hybrid xc40 is best part of 10k more than standard ICE and he expects the full electric to be another 10k so 50 looking likely.
20k more than an ICE version? Thats ridiculous. You'd be mad to pay 50K for a small SUV.

·
394 Posts
20k more than an ICE version? Thats ridiculous. You'd be mad to pay 50K for a small SUV.
Would you be mad to pay 50k for a small saloon car? That's what the Model 3 Performance costs. I'm not justifying the price, BEVs are (in my humble opinion) still too expensive. Seems about par for the course though, especially if it's particularly punchy and has more than 300 miles of range.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No question that you have to pay more for electric and I am prepared to pay around 10k extra but once you get past that then its difficult to justify. Iam hoping the xc40e will be like a first editon spec so 50k versus 40k and more acceptable. Range is key and anything less than 250 is a non-starter,
I am hopeful that all teh details become available end next week at the press launch of the frankfurt motor show.

On teh model 3 then the standad edition plus is currently 37k with 250 range and most of the bells and whistles needed so not out of the question

·
Registered
85 Posts
Batteries are still the stumbling block - too few being produced so they cost top dollar. This means supply is limited so the manufacturer can't sell as many electric cars as they'd like.
To keep per unit costs down, they fit the EV-specific bits in a car already sold in decent numbers.
The price will be high to maximise the revenue coming into Volvo. If they don't sell enough, they'll start discounting.
That applies to just about all EV makers who produce ICE cars too.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice find. Looking forward to the launch and more importantly the price, range and availability. I saw that the plug in T5 starts at 40k so it will be interesting to see how much more this is. If they are intending on going after e-tron/i-pace then i'm priced out for sure.
This is one car i may be tempted to get a deposit down on if it sub 50k for good range/spec

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've just read the blurb today too. I've been a Volvo fan for decades and ever since the first announcement of a £35k XC40 EV a few years ago I've followed its progress.
Of course right now we know very little apart from the fact that it won't be £35k. Good luck to Volvo and their owners anyway. The XC40 has been a good seller and the full EV version can only add to the firm's sales.
Roll on the independent road tests!

·
394 Posts
Built on the same CMA platform as the Polestar 2 and the Lynk&CoEVs. Looks very interesting. The XC40 is, to be fair, not built like the 60 and 90 series cars, but that has the benefit of making it affordable!

·
Premium Member
9,921 Posts
The quote below makes no sense to me, Tesla seem to have cracked it and I am told they are amateurs. I thought making EVs was going to be really easy for the "proper" manufacturers?
“one of the safest cars on the road” despite the challenges posed by the absence of an internal combustion engine.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts