Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, can someone entertain me please on all the different terminology and options I'm encountering during my purchase of a Volvo XC60 plug-in hybrid?
I'm looking at getting a Pod Point home charging point installed.
First problem I encounter is my model doesn't even feature on their drop-down options.
So I choose the nearest.
I choose the Universal Socket option and it gives me 3 options....
3.6kW
7kW
22kW
but then it says in small print under the 7kW and 22kW options "* Your vehicle may not have the capacity to charge at this speed. However, purchasing a 7kW or a 22kW will ensure you charge at higher speeds should you purchase a vehicle with this capability in the future."

On the Volvo website I found the following info:
"Our Twin Engine plug-in hybrids can be plugged into charging stations up to 22kW through the Type 2 charging cable that you can purchase with it. But their charging speed is limited to 3.7kW. "
So Type 2 “Slow” is 3.7kW and a 3 hr charge time 0-100%. Type 2 “Fast” is 7kW and a 3 hr charge time. And Type 2 "Rapid" is 22kW and also 3 hrs.

Given there's a £720 difference (!) between the 3.6kW and 22kW options offered by Pod Point, I want to be sure I fully understand the differences.
Can anyone explain what they are?

If there's absoutley no difference in charging time between a 3.7kW unit and a 22kW unit according to Volvo, why would anyone buy the 22kW unit offered by Pod Point?
Am I missing something here?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Your charge time is limited by the car, not the external charger. The car itself has charging electronics which are fed by the external charger. When plugging into a charger "capable of 22kwh" the car will still only consume the energy at 3.6kwh, as that's the design of the internal charging circuit. Looking up the XC60 on the web, it has a 10.5kwh battery and 86hp electric motor, so running pure electric will be a challenge with this car (looks like it's designed for cruising only, at constant speed, for about 20 miles). Any degree of accelleration or performance driving will require the fossil engine to kick in.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Your charge time is limited by the car, not the external charger. The car itself has charging electronics which are fed by the external charger. When plugging into a charger "capable of 22kwh" the car will still only consume the energy at 3.6kwh, as that's the design of the internal charging circuit.

Just to echo what Doug says, if it is anything like the V60 PHEV (similar size battery) you can drive at 60-70mph but this will deplete the battery quickly. For the most part,at this time of year, in pure electric I am getting 15-19 miles from a full battery (mix of slow country roads and few miles of dual carriageway.
Re the home charging unit I think most people would advise opting for the 7kWh rather than the 3.6 in the event that in future you buy a car capable of charging at that level.

·
Registered
16,781 Posts
If there's absoutley no difference in charging time between a 3.7kW unit and a 22kW unit according to Volvo, why would anyone buy the 22kW unit offered by Pod Point?
Am I missing something here?
The key point to know is a 22kW charge needs a 3-phase supply which you likely don’t have. Indeed only the Zoe and Smart EVs can use the full 22 kW.

Therefore the general advice is to go for 7 kW, which is more than enough for most cars and use cases. Even if you buy a full BEV later on.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Most hybrids only charge at 3.5kW (16A) because the battery is small and the need for a quick charge is less. But go for a 7kW (32A) wall plug. More than you need for now but once you get the taste for electric driving you'll want a full electric in the near future and you'll be able to charge at twice the rate in your next car! 22kW is overkill for home charging and as said would probably need the road dug up at huge cost to supply increased power to your house.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts