Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
So in four years time you think that a 60k miles Kodia will be worth less than £5k more than a 230k miles 9 year old XC90, even assuming that you have no big bills with the latter? PHEVs will have to be very popular!
You’re making a lot of sense. My head agrees with you but my heart doesn’t. Probably because I wouldn’t otherwise have otherwise ever have been able to buy such a nice car. Need to put my desires aside.
The Kodiaq has an OTR of about £30-£32k depending on model but after discounts can be had for £23-£25k.
After 5 years and 50k miles, I’d expect/hope to sell for about £12k-£14k. So depreciation cost of £10k.
Just a quick search on Autotrader shows 3 of them, 2017 with c70k miles and asking prices around £17k.

The XC90 with 230k miles on and it being 10 years old. It would have to be cheapest on market. I should think comparable XC90s at the time with half the mileage will be £15-£17k so maybe £10-£12k for the high miler I’m considering?
Currently the asking price for those with 100k miles is c£25k. I know, mad right?!
Originally a £60k car. Hopefully low fixed running cost (VED) in the future too.

So either way I’m looking at depreciation cost of about £8-10k.
With the new Kodiaq there’s less risk of high repair cost, at least in first 3 years.
With the XC90 the risk is significantly higher.... but it looks so much better

Head or heart?!

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Go on then, you are pursauding me! The XC90 is a better car and when used as a BEV will save you a significant amount in fuel. I'd be waking up every day worrying about something going wrong, but if you can avoid that thought you'll have a much better car.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Go on then, you are pursauding me! The XC90 is a better car and when used as a BEV will save you a significant amount in fuel. I'd be waking up every day worrying about something going wrong, but if you can avoid that thought you'll have a much better car.
You weren’t supposed to agree with me!!

Reactions: dk6780

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Imo if your worried about things breaking then a phev is not the way to go.
You have all the complexity of an ICE & BEV rolled into one more complex package then going for either outright.

That's got a lot of miles on it for such a short period of time so bushes and suspension parts will be needing replacement quite soon.
The 4cylinder Volvo's aren't as great as the older 5cylinder units when it comes to long life so there's another thing to add into the mix.

As above if 7seats are really needed then env200 or just get a normal mpv type deal for a while as for £20k that's a lot of risk in my book to make.

Maybe stick Volvo and get an old V70 7 seater in D5 form.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Imo if your worried about things breaking then a phev is not the way to go.
You have all the complexity of an ICE & BEV rolled into one more complex package then going for either outright.

That's got a lot of miles on it for such a short period of time so bushes and suspension parts will be needing replacement quite soon.
The 4cylinder Volvo's aren't as great as the older 5cylinder units when it comes to long life so there's another thing to add into the mix.

As above if 7seats are really needed then env200 or just get a normal mpv type deal for a while as for £20k that's a lot of risk in my book to make.

Maybe stick Volvo and get an old V70 7 seater in D5 form.
Didn't know the VX0 had 7 seats. Thanks, will check it out.

Without delving on specific vehicles the approaches I've considered are
1) Buy a 7 seater I'll enjoy driving
2) Lease a 7 seater that's decent and within budget (£275/month net). I've got my eye on 2. Waiting for a good deal.
3) Buy sufficiently cheap (£3-£4k) 7 seater and then lease/buy daily car, that could be an EV. Even a small Zoe would suffice. Missed some good offers.
4) Get 2 x 5 seater vehicles and accept that whenever we travel, we take both cars.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Ok this comment by a an owner on the Volvo Forum has done it for me. Think I'll leave it.
Warranty. Definitely. Buy one. These are complicated cars. Mine has a problem with the ERAD at the moment. A new one is 9k. Mine just needs a new ERAD clutch pack which is (only!) 1.7k of parts and 12 hours workshop labour. Volvo are offering some contribution up to 5 years but mine is only eligible for 50% contribution. Luckily I have an aftermarket warranty. On other items a new battery pack is, I am told, 22k. There are also about 150 individual ECUs around the car. So if you want one of these cars you either need a real appetite for risk or very deep pockets or a water tight warranty.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Didn't know the VX0 had 7 seats. Thanks, will check it out.

Without delving on specific vehicles the approaches I've considered are
1) Buy a 7 seater I'll enjoy driving
2) Lease a 7 seater that's decent and within budget (£275/month net). I've got my eye on 2. Waiting for a good deal.
3) Buy sufficiently cheap (£3-£4k) 7 seater and then lease/buy daily car, that could be an EV. Even a small Zoe would suffice. Missed some good offers.
4) Get 2 x 5 seater vehicles and accept that whenever we travel, we take both cars.
Yes
The V70, xc70, v90, v90xc, all have the option for 7seats to be there. It's a spec option though so has to be hunted out.

If your thinking of the 2 car route then I'd suggest a Leaf and then a used XC90 after 2004

21 - 27 of 27 Posts