Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Who do you rate as the best UK Electric Car Charging provider?

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There have been some entertaining news stories in recent days with Charging Providers claiming near 100% availability and calling each other 'bit players'; so here is YOUR chance to vote as to who you think is best.

I've purposely used the phrase 'Best' as this is subjective. Some may like high availability; some may vote on cost of charging, some may prefer destination charging to Motorway charging etc. One vote each; spread the word people.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I'd actually like to say plugged in midlands given my excellent experience with them throughout Worcestershire. I use one of their chargers almost daily and others scattered around the county without fault for over 2 years.

Obviously that's a local (to me) thing.

Ivoted Ecotricity as I use them frequently but I think ZCW are doing good things (although I have never used one of their chargers).

Several awful experiences with chargemaster but Asda Worcester seems to be good and reliable - just wish I liked shopping at asda!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Sorry to be pedantic but we're not actually linked with Elektromotive. We work with a number of Charge Point suppliers and make a point to be agnostic between them. CYC certified manufacturers (have gone through testing to work with our back office) are

ABB
APT
Chargemaster
DBT
Elektromotive
SGTE
Siemens

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Frankly, I'd be happy to vote for them all except Polar / Chargemaster...

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh look, all the votes are for free providers :)
Pick your strategy;
1) Give the charging away free through the growing pains; build trust; introduce fair charging and have great customer satisfaction, and hence adoption
2) Call your customers "rich people who can afford to pay for charging"; deploy a network with shameful reliability and customer service; then be first deploy pay as you charging way to much for a time based, not capacity base, payment system, alienating your very own customer base, resulting in poor adoption.

Strategy is not a game well played by those in an OLEV cash grab and land grab.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Remind me again why Tesla don't have superchargers at motorway service stations?
Because they (allegedly) tried to stitch up Ecotricity?

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Remind me again why Tesla don't have superchargers at motorway service stations, and why this is good for the consumer?
Its not good for the consumer however the new locations that are coming on line are just fine, a few mins off the motorway and fairly decent facilites

·
Banned
961 Posts
Its not good for the consumer however the new locations that are coming on line are just fine, a few mins off the motorway and fairly decent facilites
Yeah, it's just a shame that they have to do that.

I think there may be a blurry line between Grant's strategies :)

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I've voted Ecotricity.... I would go for ZCW too, it's just I've had less personal experience and most of my long distance driving has been supported by ecotricity

What about CYC?

·
Registered
2,075 Posts

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Oh look, all the votes are for free providers :)
I would be more than happy to pay my way for charging. I would chose to pay a fair rate for a service that is very reliable rather than a free service that is flakey at best. Luckily Ecotricity is improving its reliability and also it's still free, and let's be honest it's the best network we have.

To be honest I wish Ecotricity would start charging for charging as it's getting busy at the rapids now (which is a good thing as EV use is increasing) but I suspect people are using the rapids just for the sake of it being free, saving them £2 worth of electric for the sake of hanging around for half hour. I'd rather just get home and use my home.

I use the rapid when I REALLY need it, usually a quick 10-15min blast twice or so a month. I'd be more than happy to pay for this usage.

Reactions: Robwiz

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
I've been calling in to Beaconsfield services recently for a rapid. There are issues with the mobile signal and RFID recognition has failed four out of the last six times I've tried it. Whilst I have warm feelings about Ecotricity in general, I don't think they have been good enough to be voted 'best'.

·
http://ts.la/david3488
642 Posts
Sorry Grant but too many variables here. Best for what? It doesn't let me answer properly.

Favourite perhaps..

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sorry Grant but too many variables here. Best for what? It doesn't let me answer properly.

Favourite perhaps..
Under the poll Dave I put

I've purposely used the phrase 'Best' as this is subjective. Some may like high availability; some may vote on cost of charging, some may prefer destination charging to Motorway charging etc. One vote each; spread the word people..

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
I havn't voted. Although I have owned a LEAF for nearly a year my experience of away from home charging has been restricted to Nissan dealers,not on the list, and Ecotricity at Rownhams, currently off line for what seems ages.
My way of EV use favours 'on passage' charging hence my disappointment with the HCC's handling of the OLEV grant for rapid chargers in their area. I have only once attempted to charge whilst shopping, but found that there was already someone using the rapid. As I hate shopping I just parked, did my minimal 'retail therapy' and drove home. If I had charged it would have been to top up,and was not a necessity.
My 'destination' charging is carried out at private premises using a simple three pin plug at friends and family.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts