Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
On my Octopus account, it's showing my progress for GO as still waiting for a meter install and then half hourly readings. Hopefully those 2 stages will come at once, seeing as my meter was fully installed and supposedly commissioned by 0915 yesterday.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I spoke to the Service Manager at the dealers about this and it's not metallic, it's pearlescent, so more nuanced and creates shading rather than sparkle..
Makes sense. I've had pearlescent VWs before, but usually in the brochures and website they make the distinction between pearlescent and metallic, but they're calling all shades metallic apart from moonstone Grey (solid). It's just turned fairly sunny so I might actually see the colour pop.

·
Registered
208 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
The black pages options listing for all paints has "metallic and pearl effect", but the paint pages that show examples of the colours describe each one as a metallic paint (except moonstone), same with the configurator. Not a single colour is described as pearlescent. Seems to be an omission on their part to describe Glacier White as metallic. I'd seen every other colour at my local dealership group and they all had that metallic "grain" if I remember correctly.

The sun is beaming right now and I can't see a hint of iridescent hues of other colours you usually expect with a pearlescent finish. With that in mind, there doesn't really seem to be an advantage in VW offering Glacier White vs a solid colour white, they both seem to look a pure cold blue/white all the time...except to charge you £600ish vs free/£300ish.

Presumably there's better light diffraction on other colours with pearlescent mica than there is with white. We already have a solid "pure white" Polo GTI+, and the colour looks pretty much identical, was expecting the Glacier White to pop a lot more.

It still looks great in white and I'd have only considered the braver choice of the Turquoise in the current line up (I'd have been all over something like Lapiz Blue from the Golf R, or a purple hued grey metallic like Pewter Grey or Audi Monsoon Grey).

·
Registered
208 Posts
The black pages options listing for all paints has "metallic and pearl effect", but the paint pages that show examples of the colours describe each one as a metallic paint (except moonstone), same with the configurator. Not a single colour is described as pearlescent. Seems to be an omission on their part to describe Glacier White as metallic. I'd seen every other colour at my local dealership group and they all had that metallic "grain" if I remember correctly.
True but I went with the black page as that included the cost and so assumed they wouldn't have made a mistake there!

·
Registered
417 Posts
On my Octopus account, it's showing my progress for GO as still waiting for a meter install and then half hourly readings. Hopefully those 2 stages will come at once, seeing as my meter was fully installed and supposedly commissioned by 0915 yesterday.
Mine was commissioned at 5pm on Thu and went live with Octopus sometime this morning, so say 36 hours later. The woman who did the remote commissioning did say it‘s usually 24-48 hours rather than the two weeks they talk about on the website.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Mine was commissioned at 5pm on Thu and went live with Octopus sometime this morning, so say 36 hours later. The woman who did the remote commissioning did say it‘s usually 24-48 hours rather than the two weeks they talk about on the website.
Did you look at the status on the Octopus website before it was remotely commissioned? If so, did it read like you didn't have a meter yet or the half hourly readings? That's what my progress is saying. I'll chase Monday if nothing changes on the switch progress

·
Registered
889 Posts
Going back to the Glacier White discussion (off topic)...

I remembered something. The only confirmed white pearlescent paint I recall seeing on VWs was a 3 coat job (flat white/pearl white/ tinted clear coat) that VW gave the MK7 Golf. It was a whopping £875 back in 2013 and had a strong mother of pearl refractive quality. Can't remember the name of it.

I'm seeing no refraction (change of wavelength of reflected light to see other shades) on mine when well lit in the sun vs a cloudy day, and the distinction between metallics and pearlescent is that pearlescents (mica) diffract and reflect, metallics (aluminium) just reflect.

With all that in mind, I suspect that the Glacier White is a metallic, but the aluminum particle size is incredibly small and well dispersed so you don't see the glint of individual grains of aluminium in the paint.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Did you look at the status on the Octopus website before it was remotely commissioned? If so, did it read like you didn't have a meter yet or the half hourly readings? That's what my progress is saying. I'll chase Monday if nothing changes on the switch progress
Until this morning the electric was showing the same as the gas is here

·
Registered
417 Posts
I think I was on the second dot almost straight away and it said something like “your smart meter has been installed and we’re trying to connect to it. Sit tight as this may take up to two weeks”

·
Registered
889 Posts
I think I was on the second dot almost straight away and it said something like “your smart meter has been installed and we’re trying to connect to it. Sit tight as this may take up to two weeks”
I'll be on to customer services Monday to ensure their systems are aware of the install and to.ensurs they're receiving data from it.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Still no recognition of the new meter tgat's been in 6 days. Octopus reckon it can take 2 weeks before the installer contractor give Octopus all details of the install in place to tie the meter to my account.

·
Registered
417 Posts
When mine finally went live with Octopus they had the 30 minute readings going right back to when the meter was installed. Because they have those I've asked them to backdate my switch to the Go tariff back to then, which they've agreed to.

·
Registered
889 Posts
When mine finally went live with Octopus they had the 30 minute readings going right back to when the meter was installed. Because they have those I've asked them to backdate my switch to the Go tariff back to then, which they've agreed to.
I'm currently not charging in the 0030 to 0430 so there'll be no need to backdate me. I will be when I'm on GO.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Ah, I set mine to charge between 00:30 - 04:30 from the get go so that’s worked out well. Even the Go daytime rate is less than the fixed rate they had me on prior to the install though, so it’s worth backdating if only for that.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Ah, I set mine to charge between 00:30 - 04:30 from the get go so that’s worked out well. Even the Go daytime rate is less than the fixed rate they had me on prior to the install though, so it’s worth backdating if only for that.
Got my opt in email for GO just now, so I'll be a GO customer as of midnight tonight. Time to ask for that VW partnership £90 (suspect it will be £65 in lieu of £25 joining credit I got).

·
Registered
417 Posts
It’s great - I wish I could coax my ID3 up to 5 miles per kw/h so I’d be travelling at 1p per mile. Imagine that, 100 miles for a quid in fuel.

·
Registered
889 Posts
It’s great - I wish I could coax my ID3 up to 5 miles per kw/h so I’d be travelling at 1p per mile. Imagine that, 100 miles for a quid in fuel.
My wife does most of the miles in the ID3 and despite her moaning about my driving style (accelerate hard to get up to desired speed but good anticipation of road ahead to preserve momentum and minimise braking - in ICE and EV) I average 3.9 miles per kWh and she averages 2.8! 5 miles per kWh seems a pipe dream to me.

41 - 60 of 83 Posts