Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Subtitled "Or... How I stopped worrying and deleted Car Net"

In the month or so that I've had my GTE Advance, I've tried very hard to like VW apps even a little bit as much as I like VW cars. But I've finally admitted that the VW apps are truly sh*t and have deleted them.

Car Net
Many people on here have posted how annoying Car Net is. Although I live, and park, in areas with good mobile network coverage, Car Net rarely managed to carry out a remote request to start charging or heat the windows. About 1 in 10 was the success rate.

VW Connect
What does this even do? It seems to connect to the data dongle that VW stuck in when I picked up my car. The VW salesman was very keen that I installed VW Connect on m phone. It has occasionally 'rewarded' me for achieving goals. What goals? I tried to use the app to enter destinations into the Nav system remotely, but no joy. It asks me to record fill ups. Er... why?

I'm really struggling to work out what benefit either of these apps really provides. I thought I was missing something, then have realised that actually VW can build cars, but they can't build apps. That's not so unusual, my employer is very good at what we do, much less good at writing apps. So we outsource, and only release it when we know it works; if occasionally our core systems don't allow the app to do it's stuff, we apologise - readily and a lot. How come VW don't?

Rant over.

Let me know if VW ever work it out, and maybe I'll try them again.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Never downloaded VW Connect so can’t comment but despite how rubbish Car Net can be, mine does work 7/10 times; and interestingly since about Christmas more like 9/10 times.

Worth keeping, not least for the driving data it provides in the app.

·
EVEZY code -£50 off: d409e
1,985 Posts
Might be worth asking if there’s any software updates for your car..

Software flash?

"On vehicles with Car-Net security and Service Basic function of a limited production period the customer cannot build up remote connections to the vehicle over a longer period because of a software problem. As a result, some functions such as air conditioning are not available. The software of the OCU control unit is updated."

The update was release on 12/12/17, with reference 91R3 and is an update to the OCU (Online Connectivity Unit).

"And back to the topic. West-East wrote about the unreliable connection between the car and the CarNet backend over in the GE forum:

"There is a current software update for the OCU at the VW service partner to fix this problem since 12.12 If the customer vehicle is affected, please have it checked there by the FIN. Action is "91R3". ""

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Software flash? Yes, maybe. The one you mentioned was done to my car on the day I picked it up but there may be another.

I'll give it a week or so, maybe give it another go.

But even so - I was looking at how much space the different apps take up on my phone - and VW's 2 apps were among the biggest, whereas useful apps like my banking apps are about 1/4 of the size (little data held on the device? No needless graphics?). Sorry, got to stop ranting!

·
Registered
Kona64
1,536 Posts
I think other key point seen clearly on this forum area, is the disappointing way VAG seems to treat our issues with the CarNet technology:

-Zilch help from dealers at handover to set it up
-Minimal online help when problem tickets raised with customer service ( eg no online chat )
-Seemingly "tough, deal with it" attitude about it not working ---- not seen as a core part of the car that should work despite the product clearly pushed in the brochure.
-No one in VAG seems to have their salary directly tied to the reliability of it
-No one in CarNet development / daily - availability seems to use it (and therefore know what we know/see )
-No one in VAG seems interested in asking real users what they like / don't like of the current version, nor, to ask us abut what we'd like in the next release ( and they do know who we are, literally )

So, no wonder people delete the app.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I think other key point seen clearly on this forum area, is the disappointing way VAG seems to treat our issues with the CarNet technology:

-Zilch help from dealers at handover to set it up
-Minimal online help when problem tickets raised with customer service ( eg no online chat )
-Seemingly "tough, deal with it" attitude about it not working ---- not seen as a core part of the car that should work despite the product clearly pushed in the brochure.
-No one in VAG seems to have their salary directly tied to the reliability of it
-No one in CarNet development / daily - availability seems to use it (and therefore know what we know/see )
-No one in VAG seems interested in asking real users what they like / don't like of the current version, nor, to ask us abut what we'd like in the next release ( and they do know who we are, literally )

So, no wonder people delete the app.
Can’t argue with this. I reckon they are putting all their IT resource into developing the ID range which will be very ICT led. Think they’ve just given up on Car Net, not that that makes it ok!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts