Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All I'm very new here and wondered if there might some friendly folk out there to offer some advice.
I have recently purchased a Dash Cam Nextbase 622gw front and back and was going to get this fitted at Halfords as I don't have a clue where to start.
I've dipped into a few forums on here but am concerned re the following:

Will the Dash Cam be using battery when the car isn't running?
Does anyone have experience of this dash cam and is it actually any good?
Will Halfords be able to fit the device (and do a good job) as I've read a few posts that say they won't touch EVs.

Any other tips gratefully received.

Many thanks

Laura

·
Registered
EGolf
114 Posts
Hi

I cant offer much help, but installation shouldn't be any different to an ICE car i would have thought as EV's still have a 12V system and that is where the camera will get its supply. My eGolf has two sets of cables tucked under the passenger side sun-visor that fall down each time its used! I assume was also a dash cam installed by the previous owner. These cables are neatly installed behind the trim on the A-pillar.

As for battery drain when the ignition is switched off, the camera should take care of this its self and switch off once its supply is interrupted.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi

I cant offer much help, but installation shouldn't be any different to an ICE car i would have thought as EV's still have a 12V system and that is where the camera will get its supply. My eGolf has two sets of cables tucked under the passenger side sun-visor that fall down each time its used! I assume was also a dash cam installed by the previous owner. These cables are neatly installed behind the trim on the A-pillar.

As for battery drain when the ignition is switched off, the camera should take care of this its self and switch off once its supply is interrupted.
Thank you for taking the time to respond. Appreciate that.

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
Will the Dash Cam be using battery when the car isn't running?
It depends how it is wired in. It can be connected to an "always on" supply, or to one that is only available if the ignition is on. The Nextbase camera can be set to go to sleep if movement isn't detected for 5 minutes (ish...), which is there to save your battery if the camera is connected to an "always on" supply. So it can use the battery when the car isn't running, depending on how it is installed and set up, but it doesn't have to.
Does anyone have experience of this dash cam and is it actually any good?
I have the 522GW (the model below) with the rear camera, and I have no complaints about the camera. Quality is fine for the price, and number plates are generally readable (sometimes with a little effort), so it ticks the major boxes for what I wanted - you'd think that the 622GW at 4k should be clearer, so I'd imagine it is pretty good. The app is a bit rubbish, I tend to just take the memory card out of the camera and put it into the laptop directly to view footage.
Will Halfords be able to fit the device (and do a good job) as I've read a few posts that say they won't touch EVs.
I wouldn't trust them to fit a wiper blade (I've seen them snap a wiper arm, thankfully not mine). There's good ones and bad ones at Halfords, and you really don't know which you have until they've finished. I lazily fitted mine (just shoved the cable around the trim where I could find space and plugged it into a 12V socket) - if you're wanting a much neater finish, I'd be inclined to phone around local garages and see if they'll do it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Exactly as @cdlb says above!

I installed one myself. There’s a fuse in the glovebox which powers the 12v socket (cigarette lighter socket as was), the fuse can be in 2 positions; powered when ignition on OR powered permanently. By default it’s in the ‘powered with ignition’ position. The dash cam power supply takes a feed from this fuse.

Took me about half an hour to do, only tricky bit was finding a ground/negative connection, I can’t see Halfords taking more than 20 min.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It depends how it is wired in. It can be connected to an "always on" supply, or to one that is only available if the ignition is on. The Nextbase camera can be set to go to sleep if movement isn't detected for 5 minutes (ish...), which is there to save your battery if the camera is connected to an "always on" supply. So it can use the battery when the car isn't running, depending on how it is installed and set up, but it doesn't have to.

I have the 522GW (the model below) with the rear camera, and I have no complaints about the camera. Quality is fine for the price, and number plates are generally readable (sometimes with a little effort), so it ticks the major boxes for what I wanted - you'd think that the 622GW at 4k should be clearer, so I'd imagine it is pretty good. The app is a bit rubbish, I tend to just take the memory card out of the camera and put it into the laptop directly to view footage.

I wouldn't trust them to fit a wiper blade (I've seen them snap a wiper arm, thankfully not mine). There's good ones and bad ones at Halfords, and you really don't know which you have until they've finished. I lazily fitted mine (just shoved the cable around the trim where I could find space and plugged it into a 12V socket) - if you're wanting a much neater finish, I'd be inclined to phone around local garages and see if they'll do it.
Thank you, Thank you and Thank you again.
3 wonderfully clear and informative answers.
I do have it booked into for the fit next week but might ring around the local garages to see if someone else has experience and time to do it. I mean I could also give it a go myself but I've never done this before so worried I'll get it wrong or blow a fuse in the car (is that even possible?) 😳
Thank you again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Exactly as @cdlb says above!

I installed one myself. There’s a fuse in the glovebox which powers the 12v socket (cigarette lighter socket as was), the fuse can be in 2 positions; powered when ignition on OR powered permanently. By default it’s in the ‘powered with ignition’ position. The dash cam power supply takes a feed from this fuse.

Took me about half an hour to do, only tricky bit was finding a ground/negative connection, I can’t see Halfords taking more than 20 min.
Thank you, you are all making it sound quite simple to fit so I'm feeling like I might just take this beast on myself. Appreciate you taking the time to answer.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thank you, you are all making it sound quite simple to fit so I'm feeling like I might just take this beast on myself. Appreciate you taking the time to answer.
It's quite an easy job, if you do decide to give it a go its probably worth getting the official Next Base hard wiring kit as its got all the bits you'll need (You can just run it plugged into the cigarette socket for a few days first if you like!)

·
Registered
191 Posts
I've had dash cams for the last 10 or 12 years following an accident where one would have saved a great deal of trouble and arguments. I fitted the first one myself and found it reasonably easy although it took time to make the cables tuck away out of sight. With my new car I took one look at where the fuse box is located under the rear seat, realised that the rear seat some of the carpets the trim panels around the doors part of the side of the dashboard and the big casing around the cameras behind the rear view mirror would all have to be removed and so took it to a local auto electrical chap. It took him about half a day to fit front and rear cameras and having watched him do part of the work and seen how much trim had to be removed I do not begrudge paying him to do it one little bit.

It was the first time he'd fitted cameras to a car like mine and he reckoned it was near the same as any other car but made more awkward as there were several; different types of 12V supply at the fuse box and fitting the rear camera was difficult, he had to remove the spoiler from the roof to get the cables in place. I cannot remember them all but remember he said there were lots more always-on fuse slots than he expected and that some of the switched fuses had time delays on them so they only turn off some time after the car has been turned of or locked and he scratched his head a bit when trying to work out where to make the connections. We decided to connect the camera to one of the time delayed fuses using a piggy back fused connector so that the camera stays on for around half a minute after the car is locked.

I do now have a battery pack for the cameras, that I could add to allow them to use the parking mode option, where both cameras record time lapse footage when the car is parked. I haven't bothered to connect this yet as car crime is fairly low around here and we are off the beaten track so the cameras would be recording nothing and just wearing the card out. The battery pack just plugs in and I could add it easily enough as the chap that fitted everything left the cable ready under the back seat.

The simple answer is that fitting these things can be a fairly easy DIY job on some cars or can be far more involved in others. I don't think I would recommend a DIY installation on an I-Pace having seen what is involved but do know that it can be a simple job on other cars.

·
Registered
E-Niro 4+ Yacht blue MY21
30 Posts
currently my 322 is in the socket on my niro as not got round to hardwiring, the quality is leaps and bounds ahead of my old one that resides in my megane

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's quite an easy job, if you do decide to give it a go its probably worth getting the official Next Base hard wiring kit as its got all the bits you'll need (You can just run it plugged into the cigarette socket for a few days first if you like!)
Thanks again. Halfords refused to fit on an electric car today so I'm going to explore some tutorials on fitting it myself but also will investigate if there is someone local that can do it as my biggest worry is messing up the car functionality.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've had dash cams for the last 10 or 12 years following an accident where one would have saved a great deal of trouble and arguments. I fitted the first one myself and found it reasonably easy although it took time to make the cables tuck away out of sight. With my new car I took one look at where the fuse box is located under the rear seat, realised that the rear seat some of the carpets the trim panels around the doors part of the side of the dashboard and the big casing around the cameras behind the rear view mirror would all have to be removed and so took it to a local auto electrical chap. It took him about half a day to fit front and rear cameras and having watched him do part of the work and seen how much trim had to be removed I do not begrudge paying him to do it one little bit.

It was the first time he'd fitted cameras to a car like mine and he reckoned it was near the same as any other car but made more awkward as there were several; different types of 12V supply at the fuse box and fitting the rear camera was difficult, he had to remove the spoiler from the roof to get the cables in place. I cannot remember them all but remember he said there were lots more always-on fuse slots than he expected and that some of the switched fuses had time delays on them so they only turn off some time after the car has been turned of or locked and he scratched his head a bit when trying to work out where to make the connections. We decided to connect the camera to one of the time delayed fuses using a piggy back fused connector so that the camera stays on for around half a minute after the car is locked.

I do now have a battery pack for the cameras, that I could add to allow them to use the parking mode option, where both cameras record time lapse footage when the car is parked. I haven't bothered to connect this yet as car crime is fairly low around here and we are off the beaten track so the cameras would be recording nothing and just wearing the card out. The battery pack just plugs in and I could add it easily enough as the chap that fitted everything left the cable ready under the back seat.

The simple answer is that fitting these things can be a fairly easy DIY job on some cars or can be far more involved in others. I don't think I would recommend a DIY installation on an I-Pace having seen what is involved but do know that it can be a simple job on other cars.
Thank you very much. I'm hoping mine isn't that tricky as it looks like I've got to give it a go myself 😳

1 - 14 of 14 Posts