Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had any quotes or purchased extended warranties beyond the standard 3 years? I am just weighing up future TCO on keeping the e-Golf beyond standard warranty period and the online system just says I am covered, so it won't give me a quote!

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
VW should contact you when your present warranty is close to expiring.
I extended the warranty twice on my GTE after the original 3 year warranty had finished.
The cost is based on your average mileage etc.
From memory, I think I paid around £230.00 ish per year.
You will also have to keep up the regular service schedule's at the agents as well to avoid getting into a conflict IF you require a warranty claim.
Not sure about the e.Golf - but the warranty on the GTE was offered in two levels of cover.
Major components and an All Components level.
The second one being slightly more expensive.
I went for the upper level of cover, but was never required to make a claim.
That's how it goes, when you have it, you don't need it.
But if you don't take it, you are going to need it !.
Such is life I guess.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
All components cover is another £100 per year.
That sounds like a much bigger increase than I had to pay.
Maybe they have reviewed their pricing policy.
I have now owed my EV for twelve months almost to the day, so collection was in Jan 2020.
I sold my GTE in the November ( ish ) of 2019 and the warranty was still active until the July of 2020.
I had the "All Components" level of cover and it was around £230.00 - 40 ( ish ).
We where only covering about 7,000 miles a year though.
A greater mileage covered, is likely to bump up the price.
You just have to consider the risk of having no cover really.
The GTE is a very technical car which when running fine is great, but if something on the hybrid system develops a fault, it COULD become an expensive repair.
Only tonight, one of the members has an issue that the dealer has recommended he requires a new charger inverter to be installed on his car.
It is only just out of warranty and the estimate to repair the car, is around £4,000.
You pay's your money and takes your chances.
The cost of extending the warranty, has to be figured into owning this type of car.
It is a fantastic piece of engineering, but remember when it comes to service / repairs you are trying to satisfy two different masters.
It has two different methods of drive propulsion that both requires service and looking after correctly, IF it is both work correctly as a great team.
Owning a GTE is a brilliant experience, but you have to be prepared to spend some money, in order to help you sleep soundly at night.
If the extended warranty is about £300 - £400 pounds a year, then that is nothing in relation to the cost of a potential repair bill on the hybrid system.
That sort of money will not buy you a lot of anything at a VW main dealership.
I was not prepared to take that risk and wanted some piece of mind, so for me it was a simple choice.
If you are unlucky enough to experience a problem, it could well be the cheapest £300 ( ish ) you have ever spent.
Remember, you also have to budget for regular service costs every year.
Plus, brake fluid replacement every two years and HVAC service in between.
Also, a DSG oil service and cam belt replacement as the car gets ages.
A GTE does become more expensive to service correctly as it ages.
A regular oil change etc can be done almost any where I guess, but not many third party garages has the equipment or the knowledge to go any where near a hybrid problem.
This is where a BEV can become a little cheaper to maintain, over a PHEV.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That sounds like a much bigger increase than I had to pay.
Maybe they have reviewed their pricing policy.
I have now owed my EV for twelve months almost to the day, so collection was in Jan 2020.
I sold my GTE in the November ( ish ) of 2019 and the warranty was still active until the July of 2020.
I had the "All Components" level of cover and it was around £230.00 - 40 ( ish ).
We where only covering about 7,000 miles a year though.
A greater mileage covered, is likely to bump up the price.
You just have to consider the risk of having no cover really.
The GTE is a very technical car which when running fine is great, but if something on the hybrid system develops a fault, it COULD become an expensive repair.
Only tonight, one of the members has an issue that the dealer has recommended he requires a new charger inverter to be installed on his car.
It is only just out of warranty and the estimate to repair the car, is around £4,000.
You pay's your money and takes your chances.
The cost of extending the warranty, has to be figured into owning this type of car.
It is a fantastic piece of engineering, but remember when it comes to service / repairs you are trying to satisfy two different masters.
It has two different methods of drive propulsion that both requires service and looking after correctly, IF it is both work correctly as a great team.
Owning a GTE is a brilliant experience, but you have to be prepared to spend some money, in order to help you sleep soundly at night.
If the extended warranty is about £300 - £400 pounds a year, then that is nothing in relation to the cost of a potential repair bill on the hybrid system.
That sort of money will not buy you a lot of anything at a VW main dealership.
I was not prepared to take that risk and wanted some piece of mind, so for me it was a simple choice.
If you are unlucky enough to experience a problem, it could well be the cheapest £300 ( ish ) you have ever spent.
Remember, you also have to budget for regular service costs every year.
Plus, brake fluid replacement every two years and HVAC service in between.
Also, a DSG oil service and cam belt replacement as the car gets ages.
A GTE does become more expensive to service correctly as it ages.
A regular oil change etc can be done almost any where I guess, but not many third party garages has the equipment or the knowledge to go any where near a hybrid problem.
This is where a BEV can become a little cheaper to maintain, over a PHEV.
Thanks for the further insight @Carty, although a lot more complex moving parts and 'dirty' oily bits to worry about on a GTE, the sentiment remains valid.
I have considered all other costs in my 'man maths', including servicing and tyres etc.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Seems reasonable to me, about £1 per day?
If I do keep the car, I will probably go for all components, but increase the excess as I imagine it should be low risk at only 3 years old, touching wood as I type!

Not seen many reported issues with older e-Golfs on here so far, also whilst touching wood!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.