1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
201 Posts
In the USA, most non Tesla BEVs depreciate faster than Teslas. It seems to me the USA used car prices for BEVs take into account the $7500 tax credit that most of them provided for the new car buyer.

·
Premium Member
11,951 Posts
Ha. Absolutely nobody paid anywhere near £25K for a Zoe Sig Nav in 2017. Who paid for this bogus report - VW?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I drive an Egolf but I do think this report is pointless and inaccurate. Only 2 figures matter. What people actually paid and what they can get for them when selling. The figures used for this are neither.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
8,398 Posts
This is the same Comparethemarket that was fined £17.9m recently for breaching competition law?

I think the Model 3 isn’t on the list because the data is over 3 years and it hasn’t been on sale in the UK for that long yet.

Things like this are always pointless to me, people pay within a range for a car (Tesla’s excepted) and they sell within a range, either to a trader or privately. It’s possible to get a low depreciation figure if you purchase low and sell high privately, but so what. It’s no guarantee of future values.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Even better reason to keep mine for another 2-3 years. When will the Ioniq 5 be readily available? Will the Ioniq 28kWh have any value at 6 years old?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Anyone paying £23k for a 3 year old eGolf needs their head looking at.

I'm sure I could prove the opposite with the right data sample :)

How dare you suggest that Teslas aren't the best at everything. You have been added to the list :D

·
Registered
121 Posts
Only 2 figures matter. What people actually paid and what they can get for them when selling. The figures used for this are neither.
Fares even better for the e-Golf then. ;-)

Paid new, factory order £20.5k (with £1k of options).

2.25 years and 24k miles later (according to Autotrader)...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yep, you got a great deal but its not relevant to current and future purchasers. I believe you got scrappage and various other discounts which you wouldnt get now. It's a misleading survey that has no relevance to any current person in the market.

·
Premium Member
11,951 Posts
Fares even better for the e-Golf then. ;-)

Paid new, factory order £20.5k (with £1k of options).

2.25 years and 24k miles later (according to Autotrader)...

View attachment 139643
If you can get £17K selling privately I would recommend selling. In 2 years from now I suspect you will be lucky to get £10K as the market will change a lot by 2023 and the lack of warranty will put off private buyers. You could PCH a pre-reg ID3 for less than the likely depreciation of your eGolf.

There were some great deals on new EVs when you got your eGolf and me my ZE40. I sold my ZE40 last year and depreciation was just over £1K for 28 months! The drop in PICG helped keep value high, as did reductions in manufacturer support on new cars. That was me selling to a dealer too, had I achieved a private sale I would have broken even.

Reactions: ElectRick

·
Registered
121 Posts
If you can get £17K selling privately I would recommend selling. In 2 years from now I suspect you will be lucky to get £10K as the market will change a lot by 2023 and the lack of warranty will put off private buyers. You could PCH a pre-reg ID3 for less than the likely depreciation of your eGolf.

There were some great deals on new EVs when you got your eGolf and me my ZE40. I sold my ZE40 last year and depreciation was just over £1K for 28 months! The drop in PICG helped keep value high, as did reductions in manufacturer support on new cars. That was me selling to a dealer too, had I achieved a private sale I would have broken even.
I thought the market would change a lot in the last 2 years but was satisfied enough that the risk was mitigated by the discount I received.
Not so sure they will drop that much though, the cheapest on Autotrader right now is a smaller battery 6 year old model for £12.5k. However I do agree, despite strong residuals for VWs in the round, I may not be so lucky going forward and have a foot in each camp at the moment, keep Vs PCH something similar.
Might hold out for another year as there always seems to be 'jam tomorrow' when it comes to manufacturers rolling out new EVs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts