Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Volkswagen e Golf Production:

It won't be long before these come to our VW showrooms.

Coming from a VW scirocco I really miss the German build quality and feel that's lacking in the LEAF. But, I find it a real shame that VW did not install a 32A onboard charger in this E-Golf! With no option of upgrading the 16A either! What were they thinking???

Anyway who else is looking forward to the E-Golf?

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great video, thanks for posting!

What's the range like in one if these?
The battery is slightly larger than a LEAF. So I would assume maybe 100 miles on a full charge.

·
Super Moderator
6,389 Posts
The car is also heavier so an every day to be safe is probably the same as a Leaf 80ish

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
But only 16a charging? Crazy. That's not improving the marketplace at all.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
both are AC either type 1 or type 2 connectors are supported in the UK. Leaf (new model) has 16amp type 1 as standard but you can optionally buy it with 32amp

Basically it will charge nearly twice as fast with 32amp than 16 amp

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Next question then; how often do people use 32amp charging ? Is home charging generally (always) 16 amp ?

Just trying to work out the logic; if VW think you are going to rapid charge on DC and home charge on 16amp AC maybe they thought 32amp wasn't worth bothering with.

And another question, does having a 32 amp charger cost more and if so why ?

Home charging, depends on your car, no point putting a 32amp charger in if your car only takes 16amps unless you are planning for the future

yes you could get (until OLEV put a hold on free chargers) a 16 amp charger for free but had to pay an extra £95 if you wanted the 32amp version. Upgraded components in the 32amp one, and the government grants were only for 16amp versions

·
Registered
394 Posts
But only 16a charging? Crazy. That's not improving the marketplace at all.
I was surprised to learn that. The i3 is 32 amp and charges at the full 7.4 kw which I really appreciate as it can fill from empty to full in just over 3 hours which feels fast. The golf brochure is quoting 8 hours to charge.

Leaf (new model) has 16amp type 1 as standard but you can optionally buy it with 32amp
With the fast charge option on the LEAF rated at 32 amps why does it charge at just 6.6kw and not the full 7.4kw that's possible on a UK domestic supply?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts