Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I just bought the new e-up! I'm very happy with how the car drives but, after a couple of days, I realized that it makes a buzzing noise/sound that is very noticeable when the car is stopped.
The noise is coming from the engine area and when I called the dealership, they told me it is normal and it is because of the ventilator needed to refrigerate the battery.

Are you guys seeing something similar with your e-up!? The noise is masked away If I start the radio or if I start moving at a decent speed, but it is there when I start the car or when I stop at a light.

Thank you!

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Welcome to SpeakEV @wesleyozil !

Are you sure you are not referring to the pedestrian warning noise, which is now required on all new EVs? It may well not be as I understood that only sounds while it is motion.

I have a special interest in this as I too have ordered a new e-Up, due in 10 days' time. How are you finding it otherwise? Is this your first EV?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to SpeakEV @wesleyozil !

Are you sure you are not referring to the pedestrian warning noise, which is now required on all new EVs? It may well not be as I understood that only sounds while it is motion.

I have a special interest in this as I too have ordered a new e-Up, due in 10 days' time. How are you finding it otherwise? Is this your first EV?
Yes, I'm positive is not the pedestrian warning noise. This is my first EV, and the noise definitely happens when the radiator fan is on. Yesterday on my commute back home it somehow did not start and there was complete silence when the car was not moving. This morning however it started again.

Otherwise I really love the car. Driving in the city is a true delight. I have 2 children and there is room for both of them in the back without problems.

One quirk I'm finding is listening to Spotify or any other App in the car. If I connect the iPhone to the USB cable when spotify or another App is playing music, then I can control it from the car commands without problem. Otherwise, it will not work. I will keep investigating and update here if I find any solution.

·
Registered
Volkswagen e-Golf 2018
2,029 Posts
My e-Golf makes weird noises when parked too. I've always assumed it's the heating system. I doubt the battery has active cooling.

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
497 Posts
The batteries all have active cooling, they wouldn't last long otherwise. I would expect it to only become really active after very heavy use of charge, and particularly when charging rapidly.

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
497 Posts
Maybe you never fast charged it long enough to find out ... ? They may be using air cooling. They also restrict charge rates to 40kw iirc.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My old E-Up makes a sort of whirring sound when I pull up. I’m guessing it’s thermal management for the batteries. Doesn’t come on until after I’ve driven it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Seat Mii Electric
3 Posts
I have Mii Electric which make buzzing sound too. I'm pretty sure it is 12V water/coolant pump. It circulates coolant from electric heater element to heater matrix and back.

These little ones doesn't have liquid thermal management for battery.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts