Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you may remember my chance encounter with a VW e-up last year, if not, see here: http://speakev.com/threads/chance-encounter-with-a-volskwagen-e-up-in-milton-keynes.167/

Well, living in some rather unusual eco-houses that have been well awarded and rewarded, we get quite a few visitors, but often we never really see what they're up to (or the results of their visit anyway).

This time, we do.

This is where I live, it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I love it... Suits the e-up rather well I feel. :)

VW_6128.jpg VW_6129.jpg VW_6127.jpg VW_6130.jpg

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,884 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
I have doubts about this statement in the article
"VW obviously wants its e-Up to be a massive sales hit. It won't be. "
Tesla excepted most car manufacturers probably see EVs as relatively unprofitable in the short term but have to start producing them because of legislation in the pipeline . See the transport ministers speech this week in another thread ("By 2050, we expect effectively every car on the road will be ultra low emission") and EU, UK, US, Chinese, Indian etc legislation will drive change.
The Fiat 500 EV version has massive sales potential but Fiat's CE was quoted recently that he didn't want increased sales of their US compliance model because they were made at a loss. The production costs of changing from ICE versions to EV probably reduces short term profitability for most manufacturers so they are dragging their feet until they face real completion or legislation. There has to be a reason why all the mass manufacturers are plodding along with same 100 mile range that won't sell well. We probably need a pure EV only manufacturer like Tesla to get into mass market.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Was just thinking about this today; the Council's Environment Officer was round mine today and was interested in the Ampera and just simply wasn't aware of what it was. Most people will simply assume that EVs are not practical. I certainly think the Ampera is and although there are sometimes trade off with all ULEVs, they really are practical TODAY. The Ampera came out in 2012. Why have I never seen it advertised by GM..yet loads for the ugly Adam? Because GM aren't making any profit on the Ampera!

Unfortunately, even evangelists like us can't spread the word as fast as an ad in the middle of Coronation Street :(

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Manufacturers stand to lose more than the profit from the original sale – it's the cut in dealer service income (where they make most of their money anyway) and the reduction in sales of parts and consumables (oil, filters, etc.).

At the moment, the trade is split between an enlightened few evangelists for EVs and the majority who see EVs as a threat to their future revenues. The industry is full of petrol heads who like noisy engines and fruity exhaust notes, so they're never going to get excited about the instantaneous throttle response of an EV.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The industry is full of petrol heads who like noisy engines and fruity exhaust notes, so they're never going to get excited about the instantaneous throttle response of an EV.
I think they are.

I'd count myself just about in that group. Although never the fiercest of petrol heads I love a nice big engined car, and even more so small and fast cars and have spent many hours on tracks throwing around vehicles while spewing out fumes, tuning cars rebuilding engines, tweaking suspension... playing, crashing(!) and driving. I've got older, more educated, much more environmentally aware and active and I still love fast cars.

EVs can tick ALL the boxes and any true car nut isn't closed off to any type of technology "just because".

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
@Paul. I too have done the fast car thing and got it out of my system. But I know guys in their 30s who are still in their big engine/'what's its 0-60?' phase, who aren't in the slightest bit interested in EVs, not even Teslas. Whether being more open-minded is a function of age, maturity or environmental awareness I couldn't say.

I know that when I drive our C Zero I delight in its silence and the absence of vibration and harshness. When I use our other car, the Mii, I wonder why anyone bothers with petrol engines and manual transmissions.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
That's a good point...if they want a full (manual) licence they can't do their test in an EV.

·
Super Moderator
6,360 Posts
That's a good point...if they want a full (manual) licence they can't do their test in an EV.
I have been pondering about the take up off EV's and the driving test.
How long is it going to be before the everyones test is the automatic test that is then followed up by a manual test as an extra.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
I have been pondering about the take up off EV's and the driving test.
How long is it going to be before the everyones test is the automatic test that is then followed up by a manual test as an extra.
My youngest will be learning to drive in just over a year and I'm questioning whether he needs to bother learning on a manual. I'll have to look into the implications of him taking his test in the C-Zero!

·
Super Moderator
6,360 Posts

·
Leaf lover
4,596 Posts
Train of thought, so bare with me please.

Firstly, who needs manuals unless you’re doing diy maintenance.
Yes I know new drivers want cheap first cars but second-hand ev are really good value.
I read a short while back that young people are just not so keen to start driving these days because of costs so I checked up on insurance on an E-up and me as main driver, wife and 17 year old son as named drivers, full comp, under £500/year. Not bad.
And then I thought of my first car (dad’s really) a Ford Corsair and that was the number one courting car because of the front bench seat and column change gear lever. A lovely car.
So they should bring back the front bench seats, and not just for young couples.
But I thought VW could do a special E-up called Cuddle-up.

·
Super Moderator
6,360 Posts
Train of thought, so bare with me please.

Firstly, who needs manuals unless you’re doing diy maintenance.
Yes I know new drivers want cheap first cars but second-hand ev are really good value.
I read a short while back that young people are just not so keen to start driving these days because of costs so I checked up on insurance on an E-up and me as main driver, wife and 17 year old son as named drivers, full comp, under £500/year. Not bad.
And then I thought of my first car (dad’s really) a Ford Corsair and that was the number one courting car because of the front bench seat and column change gear lever. A lovely car.
So they should bring back the front bench seats, and not just for young couples.
But I thought VW could do a special E-up called Cuddle-up.

As a named driver be very careful, if your 17 year old drives the car to school and back every day the car is not insured.
We have just bought a 1.1 Smart Forfour Passion for our 17 year old, in her own name, with a black box as her car we pay £893 per year.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts