Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
My Evezy.co.uk referral code: b4552
Tesla Model 3 SR
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this over in the GM forum, but for you Dub fans - here is our E-Up! on an ecotricity rapid.

Rapid charging really does make EV ownership work doesn't it? I just hope we get more CCS units from other suppliers..

Land vehicle Vehicle Car City car Motor vehicle
Land vehicle Vehicle City car Car Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
Looks good. What's your typical real world range between charges?

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Ecotricity are putting in CCS as they double up. I'm hoping that they will be more common in a couple of years as I may be looking for my next EV then and the i3 is top of my list.

·
Tesla Model 3 SR
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The annoying thing is Chademo looked like that standard, and why shouldn't it be really? I like the fact CCS uses the type 2 plug too, meaning you don't need two separate plugs as such, but there are so many Chademos I have to drive on past wishing I could have had a quick 10 minute top up!

Range varies - driving like Miss Daisy you can squeeze out just over 90. At the moment with the heater on, about 70. Enough for me though as I can charge at work and at the supermarket. I do lots of
little charges rather than 0-100s mainly.

·
Tesla Model 3 SR
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ave m/kwh is around 5.1 overall btw.

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
Thanks for your energy consumption figures.
The annoying thing is Chademo looked like that standard, and why shouldn't it be really?

Conspiracy theorists would say that it's an attempt by the major European manufacturers to erect barriers to make life difficult for Japanese and Korean manufacturers who have to do additional design, development and testing.

·
Registered
465 Posts
But of course that logic is then skewed because it is Nissan that is the kingpin in the ecotricity highway in more ways than one. Most CCS on the highway don't work due to tech issues. All I will say is that this is a very interesting state of affairs.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
This is one of the main reason I cannot see me switching to an E-Golf any time soon, as chademo is leading in numbers atm over CCS.

So what I would say is VW (VAG group in general) ... Pull your finger out. Invest in CCS at the majority of your dealerships and also into the electric highway. Just like Nissan has done with chademo.

·
Banned
961 Posts
Things don't happen overnight, but they are happening. The CCS rollout is moving much faster than the original Chademo rollout did.

It's a shame that we have competing standards at this stage, but it doesn't appear to be a big deal to support both.

·
Banned
961 Posts
Conspiracy theorists would say that it's an attempt by the major European manufacturers to erect barriers to make life difficult for Japanese and Korean manufacturers who have to do additional design, development and testing.
Given the european manufacturers are shipping cars in Japan with Chademo and Type 1 that seems a little unfair. It's more of a level playing field if all manufacturers adapt to the local markets.

·
Tesla Model 3 SR
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
And VW dealers don't need to be spending money installing 6kw chargers when they could have installed Rapids!!! Afaik, no VW dealers have installed Rapids so far... :(

·
Super Moderator
7,598 Posts
I don't place much value on Rapids at dealers, I can't use them in the evening/overnight/early morning/Sunday's. I'd rather they got deployed somewhere else.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I don't place much value on Rapids at dealers, I can't use them in the evening/overnight/early morning/Sunday's. I'd rather they got deployed somewhere else.
I agree. But installing them at these locations will be very easy as they own the land. So no complications with contracts etc. Also 3 phase power is available and should have no problems with capacity.

A good number of service stations do not have the power capacity for many rapid chargers. Who is going to pay for these upgrades? You would have thought the OLEV money would go into upgrading capacity at key motorway service station for multiple rapid chargers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts